What would you like to see in Myth Retold?

Please do not give us a free myth unit on age up a la the Titans. It cheapens the concept of the powerful myth unit and deincentivizes rushing.

Also, age 2 TCs beyond Atlanteans is bad. Ruins any concept of rushing.

Much larger population capacity.

New cultures/gods/civilizations- maybe Japan and India.

More story-heavy, decent length campaigns.

And I doubt it need be said, but improved physics (Minotaur’s Gore, Cyclops’s Throw, Battle Boar’s Beserk etc.)

3 Likes

I really would love to see Mesoamerican, Indian, Celtic, Zoroastrian, Polynesian, Turkic and some kind of West African (pardon my ignorance in cultural diversity when it comes to regions of Africa) pantheons. If I had to pick one, I’d be equally split between Mesoamerican, Indian and Polynesian.

In short, aside from QoL changes, I’d want to see more and more cultures and pantheons added. I also agree with everything @Skadidesu said. A great take.

1 Like

tldr

1. Music (Please hire Stephen Rippy and Kevin McMullan, I ordered the Founder’s edition just because of the Soundtrack, the dope minotaur figurine was a nice addition.)
  2. Maintain Isometric Civs
  3. New CIVs Meso-Latin American, West/South African, Middle eastern, Japanese, Pacific Islander
  4. Themed per Civ GUI

Unsure of how much development is being done from the ground up or just upgrading graphics and bug fixes, but definitely maintaining the isometric build of the civs should be essentially the main carryover from AOM.

Music

AOM original Soundtrack is it all perfect? No but its F-ing close, their simplicity in melody and their extensive use of different instruments (some downright quirky) sealed the deal for best BG music to date in the series imo. Now with ample time of 20 years of experience, for Rippy and McMullan I think their maturity might bring a whole different feel while maintaining the nostalgia of the original soundtrack. Think if Han Zimmer came back to recompose The Dark Knight after 20 years which is already a masterpiece.

Civilizations
(I’m not a historian so I’m trying to get all the civs in the same time period but some will be way the fuck out of time)

We have some weird type of civ balance right now, so unsure if we rollback the titans expansion and begin anew with the three original civs Norse, Egyptian and Greek and build upon that. I would love to revamp the Chinese and Atlantean civs. They just never attracted me and it could be possible due to myself just enamored with the original 3 civs. But I think its important to keep the playing style per civ isometric which in my opinion AOE III pulls off way better than AOE IV where different is to how the Maltese, Indians, Swedes, Lakota all play with not only unique units but where resources are spent or gained per civ.

New civs I would love to see is an addition to Old Kingdom Egypt, AOM team could explore Maasai, Berbers, Khoisan, Phoenicians tribes that are rich in tradition and myths. European area Donghu, Messenia and Sicani come to mind. In the middle Eurasia region you have India’s Vedic myths is well detailed and documented. Babylonian and Sumerian empires also had plenty of myths. In Asia Japan has a large myth database to pull from, Melanesians, Fijians, Ni-Van also have a good collection of gods and myths. Back to the Western Hemisphere Athapaskans, Anasazi. In south and central America you have the Caral, Kotosh Nazcan (Incan), Aztlan (Aztec), Mayan and Olmec.

GUI
Please a nice themed GUI like the original, themed out per civilization (not the dull/boring although “handicap friendly” copy paste we saw in AOEIV for all civs, you can make it visual impaired friendly without it being boring or give the user the option for themed layout or optimized for the visual impaired)

4 Likes

How did I not know this thread existed until now!?

First, I think that the idea of getting back to basics with the original three civs is a great idea. The Atlanteans are really just a reskin of the Greeks since all of their so-called mythology is actually Greek mythology, and the Chinese…didn’t turn out as well as hoped, in my opinion. If neither of them make it back in, I for one am ok with that. I do hope the Titans make it back in eventually, but I’ll be ok if they do not.

One thing I really, really want: God power usage count rebalancing. As an example, it is ridiculous to me that you can use Atlantean Vortex like three times, but only use Norse Healing Spring once. There are some God powers (Meteor Shower, Vortex, etc) that should only be usable once, but there are several Eggy/Norse/Greek ones that could get a couple uses and I don’t think would break the game.

I second a lot of the comments here talking about the campaign. The AoM original campaign is great, and if new civs are added, please include a similar-style campaign for them. It could even jump between the new civs similar to how the original jumped between civs. If you launch new civs every six months or year or whatever, you can wait to publish the campaign until all of the relevant civs are released.

Please do not do what AoE4 did and break hotkeys.

Don’t need to fix what isn’t broken. As an example, I love the original score. I also think pop limits are a great forcing function to make people choose their unit types and counts carefully. AoM is meant to be faster and more aggressive than AoE2 IMO, and the smaller pop count and big myth units taking five pop slots help reinforce that. The Major/minor god system is key to the game and may need tweaking, but not discarding.

I sincerely wish the devs all the best in balancing this game so that most major gods are viable at most levels of play, especially if you add more major civs like the Slavs or Aztecs or whatever. Whatever you do, please do not go the AoE route and make all civs more alike than different. Take the time to make the civs all work. I can assure you we will appreciate a polished final product thatwe have to wait for more than we will a half-baked attempt pushed out six months too early.

6 Likes

Improved User Interface, and more hotkeys!
The efforts your team have done to the AoE 3 are marvelous!! :+1:
Please keep them and if possible, make them better!
Thank you very much!

2 Likes

I like the idea of having dynamic weather!

And I definitely agree with increasing the population cap significantly.

4 Likes

Maybe even be a little more liberal with better physics seeing as there are a lot of large monsters. Maybe upon a human soldier’s death by a larger myth unit using a basic attack, as well as from their special attack.

1 Like

Hi,

I think that in the new game AoM Retold would be good to see the civilization of the Trojans, although their gods were the same as the Greeks can be taken from the Roman perspective, For they felt that they were descendants of the Trojans who had been stripped of their homeland. then, these trojans would not have as gods Zeus, Poseidon and Hades, but if to Jupiter, Juno and Mars or to ignore the latter and instead place the sol invictus (the sun undefeated) so as to convey the evolution of religion in that ancient empire.

I have read that they ask a lot of Mayans and Aztecs, but it would not be better an ancient civilization that has influenced those mentioned, by that I mean the Olmecs. Some researchers think that they were the creators of some of the deities and divinities that would later have a relevant role in the Mesoamerican pantheon, so the Olmec civilization is considered as “the mother culture” of all Mesoamerican civilizations.

And finally introduce the Sumerians, with their gods Inanna, Enlil and An. I do not add the gods of Japan or India because they are still valid in these countries and their inclusion in a video game can damage the religious feeling of the people who profess them.

As for the game system I hope it stays the same way or that it turns towards the forms of AoE 2, since in my opinion it is the best of the franchise. It all depends on what gaming experience you want to give us. AoM differs from others in that civilizations are really unique, from buildings to their units, compared to AoE 2 with more generic units and buildings (whose positive point is the ease when configuring hotkeys), then they can be similar in their pros and cons, but I think that added to the camera angle similar to AoE 2 make it a great game.
For me it is very important to maintain to some extent the original system (configuration of hotkeys, formation and displacement of units, icons of constructions and units, etc.), but above all I hope that the game does not take the same path as AoE 4, I don’t consider it a bad game, but its perspective or camera angle similar to AoE 3 is not to my liking, along with the lack of customization of AoE 2 free and unrestricted shortcut keys (beyond conflicts between repeated shortcuts) and the image of icons that make it difficult to differentiate that I’m building, creating or updating.

Greetings

1 Like

It will be impossible to find the languages these civis spoke.Troy is a greek city so making them romans would be atlantis 1.5.

Hi Mahazona,

I do not agree with you, I have already commented that Troy is a mythical Greek civilization and that the Romans believed to descend from it and that it would be a good distinctive that instead of Greek gods their pantheon be replaced by the Roman. As for the Atlanteans, those who inspired their civilization in the legendary history of Atlantis are the Minoans and not the Romans. As for the dialogues of each of the civilizations mentioned, much progress has been made in the reconstruction of their writing and phonetics. On the other hand, I believe that it is not necessary to be strict in this area, without going any further, the Atlanteans are a fictional civilization.

Here is an example of studies in the case of Olmecs:
«A Review of Recent Work on the Decipherment of Epi-Olmec Hieroglyphic Writing» by David F. Mora-Marin

Greetings

Hello all,

Hello all, I am very happy for this game and the idea that you ask the community! Thank you!

I saw the mythological monster with their special attacks that recharge after some time, but I was thinking somehow to be added some special things about the human soldiers. I know that they should be weaker but together they can have special abilities.

For example several superman/hoplites to form phalanx and this way to have better armor/ attack but to walk slowly compare to separate (not in formation). Ulfsark also to have ability to create shield wall which will be similar.

Also maybe the cavalry to have some kind of formation like triangle which make it with higher attack/ speed but less armor.

Maybe this abilities to be acquired in the end game or similar.

Also honestly I don’t like the villages to be so strong and they to have additional attack against siege units. I remember that they were more powerful then the Egyptian soldier from classical age.

I think some other solution should be find here. For example make all the houses ability to hide some units like the Atlantians. This way the villagers can be weaker compare to the army yet somehow little more protected. From another hand make some special contra units against the siege or similar.

Have a good day!

1 Like

Balanced AI difficulty in campaign, performance patches, ranked queue like in aoe2 DE and live service. That’s it. Other than these things, the game is perfect.

We could have Art of Wars, Ranked borders, Capture age support, things like that for the game as well but these are all secondary.

2 Likes

Add some mythological and cryptids animals in nature. Would it be out of touch to hunt a unicorn, a colossal giant squid? Maybe local cryptds like Megatherium, Ness monster (if related civilizations were to be added). Or at least occasional encounters (no hunting) like seeing some a Phoenix or Chinese dragons flying around.

I guess it would add a nice touch to the fantasy context.

4 Likes

Gaia myth units are cool. Though in addition to unicorns and such, albino/golden animals could appear, since they are often thought to have mystical links. Perhaps there could be some bonuses for going out of your way to hunt them such as favor instead of/in addition to food.

Also, several other neutral landmarks would be cool like a reimplantation of overgrown temples like there was meant to be on old Atlantis.

Plus some more story based random maps similar to AOE3’s Historical maps would be cool. Who else thinks it would be cool to have a multiplayer version of the Trojan War?

1 Like

A polished, powerful (many features, triggers, etc.) and high-performant (low lag) scenario/map editor. I think this is one of the most important features of the game because of the unlimited content that the community can produce, adding to the replay value and longevity of this game.

No matter what you decide to do, please focus on getting the foundations solid (engine design, various bug fixes like pathfinding, computer performance, QoL, UI, graphics, sound, multiplayer experience, etc.) and an overall good quality game done with lots of attention to detail, instead of rushing to add too much content too early (civs, stories/campaign, etc. that can be reserved for DLCs later on), which would likely result in the impression of a half-finished product. Once you have a solid game and a modernized gameplay experience in hand, I believe that the game will be much more successful and people will be much more excited about the additional content after.

5 Likes

…the Norse Kraken is literally a giant squid.

I think mythological creatures are fine, but things like Bigfoot don’t belong. But the odd wild Pegasus flying around won’t hurt anything.

1 Like

Neutral monsters and (unique) buildings (maybe with bandits in them) on certain. maps would be really cool and an interesting objective I support that idea personally

4 Likes

There are the Skraelinger on a certain skirmish map. I think it was Vinland. It would fit… Tho they look like ulfsarks. There’s a mod that makes them look like native americans. If there were buildings that spawn those and they were roaming around near those, they would perhaps pose a greater challenge.

Agreed some flying Pegasus wouldn’t hurt (weren’t there more of them till they were all gone only named Pegasus left like last unicorn?)

I personally had this idea in mind a rather long time ago that on one map there is a giant neutral dwarven factory which produces golems and if you capture that factory (first fighting one or two neutral ones) it will recruit golems for you as strong siege units (not as strong as colossus or mountain giant maybe). Or a cave with one manticore but only to fight and get a strong relique.

I wouldn’t do this for all maps maybe for a few ones as unique map objective.

But a few scenery buildings like mentioned overgrown old temple etc would be pretty damn cool and could be on many maps without any interaction maybe just to find a ####### ## anything