Whats the point in pre-ordering the game

There is no benefit from it or any discount as far as I know.
Can someone explain me, why we should pre order it instead of waiting for the release and maybe get more infos?

9 Likes

If you play AoE2 DE you get the new Dawn of The Dukes DLC for free, so you are saving $10

13 Likes

ah jeah saw it in small letters :smiley:
but I donā€™t play it.

the same as pre ordering any game, not any real benefits

4 Likes

Usually, none, except for some gate locked content (pre-order bonuses).
For IV thereā€™s a very nice bonus, mentioned (great!) DLC for AoE II:DE.

Preordering generally works for products with a limited quantity and/or special, collector editions that are very scarce and quickly get expensive after stock runs dry.
Code for a digital copy of a game? Not too much except supporting developers. But itā€™s always a gamble. Not so much here- after beta is obvious IV is not some scam or blunder :stuck_out_tongue:

For consoles maybe, but for PC marketā€¦ I donā€™t like that biz side of publishing culture, centered around preorder/opening week sales. Games on PC have unlimited ā€˜shelfā€™ life and can sell for decades!
I get it, fiscal year, CEO bonuses etc. but itā€™s not great for devs or customers, both feeling a bit guilty because people not throwing away their money day1 fast enough :heavy_dollar_sign: :moneybag: :heavy_dollar_sign:

2 Likes

Yeah I pretty much treated it as a ā€œdiscountā€ for the game.
The DLC is great! love the bohemains and polish. :smiley:

3 Likes

Paying for the dlc is better than this game with ā€˜ā€˜the bonusā€™ā€™

To show your support for the franchises?

1 Like

I preordered because I wanted Dawn of the Dukes for free and was going to buy AoE4 anyway. If you donā€™t play AoE2 or donā€™t see that as a worthy deal, thereā€™s minimal advantages. Buying it now in case you donā€™t have money for later on release, maybe? Itā€™s not like stores are going to run out of physical copies or anything. Overall, thereā€™s a benefit, but itā€™s so minor that frankly I think thatā€™s a good thing. This isnā€™t a predatory ā€œPRE-ORDER TO GET ALL THE CONTENT AND EXCLUSIVE SKINSā€ horseshit scam. You get a cheap DLC for a game for free. Pre-ordering if you donā€™t care about that is basically little more than a ā€œSo I donā€™t forget laterā€ deal, which is what all pre-orders should be.

4 Likes

Pre-orders are there to give the publishers a more direct way to see how well their marketing is doing.
It also helps their finances because they can plan their income better (unless a lot of people cancel their pre-order).

For the consumers there isnā€™t really any advantage. Some companies make small pre-order bonuses like the AoE2 DLC you get when pre-ordering AoE4.

With pre-ordering you are basically telling them that you trust into them delivering a good product.

2 Likes

I preordered to show my support for the AOE franchise. Hereā€™s hoping they let us zoom out far enough to see trebuchets in action.

3 Likes

In the pre-order, do you get the physical copy or a download on release?

I am a collector.

You donā€™t get a physical copy. Im pretty sure you can only pre-order on steam or xbox gamepass. (software downloads)
You can contact a game store if you want a physical copy perhaps?

Usually if you preorder on Steam or whatever, you just get the same digital game. I donā€™t think a physical version has been announced, so there might not be one.

1 Like

I checked Amazon, there doesnā€™t seem to be a physical game. Sorry!

Back to the day, when there were physical versions of games with goodies, or collectorā€™s editions and soā€¦ it was great, and pre-ordering was so common. Now I donā€™t see the point either.

I have been playing AoE since the very first one, itā€™s one of my favorite franchises ever, but so many things have changed with time. I did instabuy all the Definitive Editions on release because were top-notch remasters, and at least two of them were made by The Forgotten (the third Iā€™m still not sure, main dev was Tantalus I think?), who are absolute AoE fans that truly care about the games.

But if Iā€™m gonna invest 60ā‚¬ (70$) in a game, I want to know if itā€™s gonna get more attention and content post-release. I know it most likely will (there are plenty of civs to be added), but I miss some kind of approximate roadmap here tbh. I like how Microsoft/Xbox is doing things these last years, Iā€™m honestly positively surprisedā€¦ but I still remember the nonsensical, traumatic Ensemble Studios closure and the Age of Empires Online failed experiment (thankfully Project Celeste is there).

I have to thank them for putting the game on GamePass on release, tho, since it will be the best way to test the whole vanilla experience and make a more contrasted decision.

3 Likes

Maybe its just the millenial of me, but I canā€™t imagine paying $ for something that isnt physically a possession

1 Like

Yeah these days they are so afraid about giving early access to the pre-order player
they waited 3months++ for the beta like this player cant be refund because of the 3months policies of steam

we are nearing the death of dvds.
thats just how it is unfortunately.
weā€™ve just moved on technologically, most laptops donā€™t even come with a cd drive anymore.

1 Like

Yeah I had a huge CD and DVD/Blu-ray collection for a long time, but nowadays I just try to get rid of all my physical media. It simplifies your life, which is nice.

Still got a 4K Blu-ray player though, so I can rent 4K Blu-rays on occasion.

For games, I accepted the digital switch much earlier for some reason. Go figure.

1 Like