When did this community become so toxic?

I’ve been regularly playing online for 6 months now but I have recently noticed a major uptick in the negative and disparaging comments people have been making in team games. I am not a very good player and I don’t pretend to be, but come on people this is a game first and foremost. 99% of us are not pros we are not playing for anything more than pride or a good time, putting your teammates down when you are losing doesn’t do any good. When I first got back into this game after many years one of the things that I liked was a community that was far less toxic than some other RTS games I have played, but recently I have been reconsidering that stance. My personal life is stressful enough that I don’t want that extended to my leisure activities.

I don’t know what the change was, but if it keeps up I will find something else to play. I know I am not alone in this opinion. Please try and remember people this is a game we are all just trying to have fun and lay off the negativity.

41 Likes

That sucks that you had few bad experiences in the game. I have noticed that when rating falls down a bit, people are nicer and the higher up I go, people end up being more toxic. It is not a lot of people and generally I have noticed that AoE does have a nice mature crowd. Having said that, Dota 2 has a behavior score system. So along with matching on Elo score, it also matches player based on behavior score. Something like that might be helpful if the community gets too toxic.

10 Likes

→ internet anonymity gets the worst out of people;
→ join a few discords, try to make new friends to play with, much better than playing with randoms;
→ why do you even get triggered by some random dude somewhere in the planet complaining about your game play? Just don’t let people get in your head.

11 Likes

have u seen this forum is no better

5 Likes

Yesterday I had a 1v1 where I was defeated after a long hard fought game and we both discussed and analysed the game afterwards, where we were both honest about our failings. This was a really positive experience and I think more people would play ranked if you can incentivise players to act more positively.

In another thread for imbalanced team games, it does talk about expanding on the community features.

The day before I decided to play a 4v4 Arena game for fun and one of my teammates went mass onager and team killed us all for attacking in Castle age. Your results may vary but I think there should be some more brainstorming to improve community interaction.

4 Likes

If we are talking about ranked I agree with You. I’m not a pro by myself, my elo is 1500-1600, and mostly people don’t write glhf or when You lose, they don’t reply to gg or sometimes instead of gg, You just getting taunted with taunt:11 and that it. Some people take this game too serious right now.

4 Likes

I think it reflects upon the matchmaking system. People are stressed out from common issues like: constantly losing as a solo TG player Vs pre mades,
Alt f4s wasting people’s time, people settling for maps they don’t want to play, having even just two games where one ally is over rated for his Elo on your side. Long queue times, These issues don’t really happen in 1v1 I find and I often find people converse more after game/show more respect because of this.

2 Likes

People are always toxic on the internet, it comes with a lack of responsability when saying anying on the intertwebs.

That is why I never play MP (except with my close friends and fam) 90% of the time I just play SP.

I play pc to relax and get away from the toxisity of our cities…of our cities…
Thus I only play SP.

5 Likes

Very true and there’s quite some reasons for that but I guess devs could at least try to build up a healthier environment by allowing pre-game chat. I mean in tgs you can at least talk to your mates before games but in 1v1 you don’t even know who you are playing against until you are actually in the game. No idea why they still didn’t implement that after more than one year…

1 Like

I usually play vs AI, toxicity is almost non-existent at that mode.

12 Likes

I recently played my first game of AoE: DE multiplayer a few days ago and as I was playing I accidentally paused and someone on my team called me a dumbass, and I was incredibly offended by this, I still apologised though, but I made the decision not to play multi-player again. And this could be a big problem as new players could be turned off by this community and that could drastically lower the player base and lead to the end of Age of Empires.

3 Likes

That’s why I’m looking forward to the co-op campaigns. Why no new articles about dawn of the dukes yet? It’s June already 11

5 Likes

We must stop catering to the 1%.

9 Likes

If you mean ranked maybe try 1v1 instead of teamgames? In my experience there is way (!) less insulting and bm there.

3 Likes

i don’t see the top 1% bming there team mates when they are losing, so i have no idea what this comment has to do with toxic behavior.

3 Likes

I was not referring to toxic communities rather I was talking about balance updates and such which are clearly made with pro-players in mind rather than the average joe, and I wanted to make a Bernie Sanders meme. 11

3 Likes

Taunting aside:
How is that toxic?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with not engaging in any communication with your opponent.

4 Likes

so your comment was off topic and not relevant to the discussion of toxic communities. which means it provides zero value to the topic of discussion.
actually this is false, the devs consider overall balance, that said though, let me give you an example why more weight is put on pros then on non pros.
if you look at lower levels of skill cavalry dominate hard, and archer civs fall behind a bit.
the reason for this is because cavalry is pretty a move/patrol move friendly and archers require a bit of micro the deal with cavalry.

so - by the grounds of your argument - we should buff archers to be able to compete against the stronger more durable cavalry.
so how do you buff archers to make htem stronger for those who can’t or don’t micro, without absolutely breaking them for those that can micro?

1 Like

If his comment is off topic, then why don’t we just leave it at that and dont engage further with it, but keep all subsequent comments on topic?

2 Likes

Maybe the community wouldn’t be so toxic if people didn’t try to imitate what pro-players are doing and call out those who don’t imitate them.

4 Likes