When did this community become so toxic?

and i can tell you that people will be jerks no matter what. its not just a “try to emulate the pros” type of stuff that leads to toxicity.
i’ve had players keep playing after clearly being beaten and go so far as to wall villagers into corners or try to find a new spot to reboom with 5 villagers t hey managed to get away with, when i was in imperial age, with a full economy.

wouldn’t that be toxic behavior? but i don’t see the pros trying to do that.

I’m not a fan of toxic behavior at all, but toxic behavior is more about being anonymous and being a jerk then any desire to emulate the pros.

4 Likes

The pros are encouraging people to play the game like it’s a life or death situation and that is causing people to be afraid of losing and that is making them try very hard to win which leads to a lot of toxic behaviour.

If Hera told everyone to relax when playing the game maybe people wouldn’t be toxic.

1 Like

no, they aren’t. when’s the last time you seen a pro rage on stream because they lost a game? some pros are even known for going trolly builds just to have fun (viper especially, and he is BY FAR the most prolific streamer/player in the game). I’ve seen them rage from time to time (very very rarely), but it’s almost always at themselves for doing something stupid.

or i could say this comes from todays “no one is a loser mentality” that society keeps trying to push.
again i’ve seen far more people do stuff like walling villagers in a corner or trying to reboom from a half dozen villagers after clearly soundly losing their base, when there was clearly no way they could win unless their opponent ignores them for half an hour.
and that isn’t behavior i see from pros at all.

so now pros literally have to sit there and tell you “hey don’t be toxic guys”? wow. how about people just not be crappy people instead?

6 Likes

This has mostly to do with the attitude people have in regards to the game. I know I want to win 90% or more of my games, so I know that Ranked is not my thing. People kinda expect to win all the time in an environment which naturally doesn’t allow it, which leads to unnecessary anger and hate.

Especially considering how unrewarding RTS are short-term (no kill happiness like in Team shooters etc) compared to other genres, it’s easy to understand why people are frustrated.

6 Likes

And that is probably one of the reasons RTS is a niche genre of games, because unlike the ever popular FPS/Shooters/Battle Royals/Mobas, there is very little short term rewards.
which definitely conflicts with societal views today.

8 Likes

It is so difficult to argue when you make such good points but I’ll try.

No offense but these kinds of replies certainly don’t help to decrease toxic behavior. I actually don’t disagree with what you say about balancing should primarily be orientied towards higher level. Still, saying that comment provides zero value isn’t only a bit disrespectful it’s also (not entirely, at least) true.

Sure you see little bm with pro players but the way a lot of things in the game are designed around competetive behavior might be the reason why a growing number of average players seem to take the winning aspect of the game too seriously. I personally didn’t make as much bad experience with grieving players that start to insult but compared to pre-DE with hosted lobbies the development in terms of behavior has gone in a pretty bad direction. One might or might not agree with that but imo this discussion has certainly more than zero value.

Yes and no. Pros don’t do that directly but if you troll your opponent with several k people watching everything you do and say can have a massive impact. Streamers have some responsibility in that respect and I’m not saying they are entirely ignoring that but there is room for improvement for sure.

There are always jerks but the percentage of these and how badly they behave does depend on how the community deals with that (especially streamers and devs but in the end everyone).

5 Likes

multiplayer games have always encouraged competitive behavior though, that isn’t something exclusive to video games, as board games, playing card games, sports, and even trading card games all have this too. doesn’t mean that the pros are actively encouraging toxicity. or causing it. you see lots of toxicity on the internet period, not just related to games either. go look at social media pages as a good example. being anonymous contributes far more to toxic behavior imho.

that’s because pre de the game was fading and had a much smaller player base for multiplayer. more people means you’re more likely to see the behavior.

depends - a lot of the trolling i see from streamers is done “In good fun” and not a toxic type of thing.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s my point: Not actively but in an indirect fashion some of them kind of do imo. And yes the more people are watching the more anonymous the whole thing gets. That’s quite normal indeed. As a content creator you could for instance try to have a good balance in your videos including educational stuff or the like. A lot of streamers already do that which is cool. Just mentioning that bc that’s what represents the game to a lot of people (especially new players).

For sure. But take the chat thing from above for instance. Just looking at pro players. How many of them actually say hf at the start of the game? The minority. How many did before DE? The majority. Imo that’s not about size of player base but about implemented features such as pre-game chat which is totally possible in ranked. You don’t need lobbies for that.

so are pros responsible for toxicity on facebook, twitter, and other forms of social media too?

2 Likes

I don’t care if they are going to ban or mute me. But this is one of dumbest things that I ever read in this forum. And believe me a lot of dumb silly things are posted here.

2 Likes

I share the experience that the community has become more toxic in the last weeks/months.

Unfortunately you can also rarely play 4vs4 anymore, when you are not premade with your team. If any player from any side has a tough game he instantly leaves rather than paying attention to the other side or just asking. Thats so freaking annoying.

On the one hand i would really like to that the game would give punishments to that. On the other hand you sometimes drop anyway and it would be bad to punish those guys too…

All in all a lot has to change or people will start leaving this game, because its hardly enjoyable…or at least the ones who like to play teamgames.

2 Likes

With a little bit of code, the game could influence behavior. For example, at the end of the game:

1. Get rid of ‘Defeated’ message. Have positive messages generate like ‘That was your 100th game!’. Or, ‘That was your most difficult opponent. Keep trying!’ Even if you lose, you get positive reinforcement.

2. Canned messages like ‘gg’, ‘gg wp’, ‘good fight’, ‘thanks for playing’ would also be available at the click of a button. Make it easy to be kind and polite.

3. At the end of the match, have the ability to deliver a thumbs up to your opponent. Along with elo, players would have a positivity score for how often they gave thumbs up / received thumbs up.

3 Likes

Toxicity starts precisely when people start caring about their ratings. I mainly play 1v1 at 1200-1300 elo and there toxicity is not really present and when it is, its not severe, although i guess i have indeed noticed a slight increase over time. But im sure it must be much worse in team games. If it is a problem to you, i suggest you either try going for 1v1 games or teaming up with people you know.

1 Like

I already feel like writing “glhf” and “gg” is too robotic when I write it. This will just make me cynical about anything my opponent writes.

2 Likes

One rule of thumb is not to judge people too quickly. Maybe if someone 11 or taunts you once, he maybe having a bad day and he is enjoying relieving his frustration.

If he does it many times (on higher levels people often matchup frequently), you should report him.

2 Likes

Oh bro, you just didnt play league of legends. Community aoe is very nice, during all this time I had just 5-10 very toxic players, the rest of them was kindly and polite. I adhere to several principles:

1. Always send compliments your opponent, even mentaly;
  2. If your opponents send toxic messages write them “dont worry, I belive in you, you will be lucky in next time”. Usually, after that messages your opponents calm down. And some of them became my friends.

not interested in making any point, just thought you should know this because its funny

I stay away from competitive games, I enjoy chill MP like custom scenarios or modded games. There is an occasional toxic player but for the most part it is just a group of guys having fun