Where is the love for AoE: DE?

I searched for AoE: DE and AoE II: DE showed up, it seems to me that AoE: DE is nothing in the eyes of the developers. AoE I has beautiful music, amazing graphics and is always incredibly fun to play. And it hurts to see that no one really cares about it anymore. FE, you promised us you will keep the franchise alive but you are only keeping AoE II alive. :cry:

7 Likes
So sad to see the game that started it all, being ignored like thisā€¦ :cry:

Source: Age of Empires 2020 in Review: with Shannon Loftis - Age of Empires

4 Likes

Es verdad, Age of Empires I DE es uno de los juegos que marcĆ³ el inicio de estas remasterizaciones y al dĆ­a de hoy no ha recibido actualizaciones.

2 Likes

I think that refers to the whole franchise :joy: Age of Empires DE not even mentioned in that new year post. I really wish for more updates to that game perhaps even DLCs after bugfixes and QoL.

4 Likes

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=age+of+empires
People only want to play AoE2. Even AoE3 that just got itā€™s DE, that even got new content, has less players than the old AoE2 HD.
AoE2 got how many extensions by now? And AoE4 is in development that uses the same setting. Iā€™m afraid that even after AoE4 is out (assuming that itā€™ll get more players than AoE2) that AoE3 will be behind both of those games.
AoE1 is naturally the least popular because AoE2 improved so much without really ruining anything what made the first one so good.
Iā€™m really hoping for more none medieval content but I guess that doesnā€™t sell.

The problem is that devs did nothing to increase the player base of AoE DE.
If the devs realeased a proper polished game and then properly updated it, the player number would have not declined like it did. You build your own player base upon your game, not the opposite. Devs are scared of actually innovating anything and are happy to continue milking the AoE 2 cowā€¦until the day they end up killing it with their greed.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, this was only announced for part 2.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty good considering itā€™s the one longest out and the one that was originally launched only in Microsoft Store. I know some portion of it still plays with that version, me and my friends included.

We can agree to disagree about everything else.

Most of my friends donā€™t want to play Age 2 because itā€™s a turtle fest where matches never end. The rest donā€™t want to play it because the pathfinding with the formations is super akward and a pain to deal with.

So yes, Age 2 ruined a good portion of what makes the original so good.

3 Likes

AoE II might have been their commercial success but is that what AoE is about? AoE is one of those games that the devs made for a selfless reason, they didnā€™t create the franchise to make them some cash they made it to give the world something wonderful. AoE I is what started that idea and now itā€™s treated like itā€™s nothing more than a forgotten museum piece.

3 Likes

I donā€™t really disagree.
I like both games. If AoE2 wasnā€™t technically better (UI, how the units respond, command queue, Editor with triggers, general polish, the amount of content etc.) I would say I like both games the same.
I donā€™t see AoE2 as a turtle fest but I agree that defence/siege has too big of a focus. That is nice for medieval Europe but the Huns or the Mongols shouldnā€™t build castles. (The Huns should be in AoE1 not AoE2 tbh). AoE3 just didnā€™t give the Native Americans a replacement for the Fort that the Europeans have (besides the Inca in DE) but AoE2 isnā€™t that flexible, ever civilisation needs a castle.

I feel like civilisations that play like AoE1 should exist next to civilisations that play like Ao2 in the same game. Plus civilisations that actually play like hordes and not just Western Europeans that donā€™t have to build houses. I hope AoE4 gives us that. I really hope Civilisations outside of Europe donā€™t play like AoE2 but more like AoE1.

Iā€™m divided about formations. AoE1-3 just donā€™t feel as responsive as Starcraft 2 but maybe they shouldnā€™t because AoE is more about macro than micro. Units with bows or muzzle loading guns shouldnā€™t hit and run like Space Marines.
Forcing all units to walk at the same speed is annoying. Accidentally select one monk or siege weapon and your cavalry just crawls slowly instead of hunting down the enemy.
In Starcraft 2 every unit does their own path finding what causes problems too like some units take completely different paths because they can walk over cliffs.
Being able to customize this behaviour would be nice. Making formations a researchable technology would fit perfectly into AoE1 and even AoE2 (Should be researchable earlier of course).

4 Likes

Thatā€™s the only thing I donā€™t like about AoE2. In fact, AoE II is the one I have more fun playing and Iā€™d say its a better game than AoE I but AoE I deserves some love too.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with supporting more content for AoE 2 DE, itā€™s just that they should have also spend more time for AoE DE as well. Both can coexist with quality content updates for each, how I wish it were.

4 Likes

IF the content is good I agree. Big IF.

4 Likes

AoE2DE needs this. And if formations are implemented into AOE1:DE, the same should happen, to prevent horses moving at the speed of priests, catapults or other slow as hell units. If formations are actually added to AOE1DE, it has to be optional, both in the campaigns and in custom games. Thatā€™s why I created this poll.

I was surprised to see how classical players donā€™t even want to consider adding formations, even when these would be optional.

2 Likes

I definitely want to see more love for AoE1. As it stands now, they have to fix the glaring technical problems with it and then work on more content. I doubt weā€™ll get any new content, but at least patch the game.

6 Likes

Looking back at AoM Extended edition and AoE 2 HD I am not too optimistic about the devs fixing the issuesā€¦but letā€™s hope for the best

3 Likes

Same thing happened to Rise of Nations: Extended Edition. Latest update happened 3 years ago.

3 Likes

Is Rise of Nations franchise still owned by Microsoft? I really hope that game and especially its spin-off Rise of Legends get definitive treatment as well.

3 Likes

AoE DE feels like a test for AoE2 DE.
The game lunched at a very buggy state and got bad reviews.
Because of that I waited until this year to buy it.
Making an DLC for the game would make people look at it again and reevaluate it. There is some general design issues with AoE1 that could be fixed with an DLC like getting other alternatives to chariots when you run out of gold that arenā€™t on Tool Age level.
They donā€™t ā€œruinā€ the original if they add things like gates to an extension that people can choose not to use.

9 Likes

I fully agree with you, I think there are some things which should have been added to the game, like some bronze age upgrades to slingers, axemen and scouts and an iron age upgrade to camel riders. Stuff like ability to trade on land and gates would have been a nice improvement too in my opinion.

6 Likes