Which factions do you think should be added: Early Modern Era edition

Wallachians should be added no matter what since their campaign is already in the game, but the civ is missing.
The campaign is called: Vlad Dracula (the impaler)

I mean that we should first finish/complete the content that is already in the game before adding new content…

2 Likes

If you mean they’re missing in the poll, they are in it as Vlachs/Romanians.

I know they are in the pool, what I wanted to say is that they should be the most voted of all the other options.

1 Like

it is okay if they are missing. we need more African civs first. priorities!

3 Likes

Yes, being such a populous and complex country it is difficult to bring it together… only 4 empires tried: Maurya, Delhi, Mughal and the British Raj… India tries to bring everything together with the Hindi language and also English as a secondary language…

Vlacs would be better, since Romanians is a very modern term from the 19th century (for a reason they are in aoe 3 as a revolution)…

Which books are you referring to?

What do you mean by this statement?

2 Likes

“Indians dont think their warfare nor empires are that important” - A European probably

Tbh I dont get why hes saying that, Indian warfare is pretty well recorded from what I have seen. India also developed the whole concept behind modern rocketry

Although I may be misinterpreting him, I think thats what hes saying but he may be trying to just talk about how India is culturaly united and how the history of India goes beyond conquest and empires

Shouldnt albanians be in the list too?

I mean, hard to say what any empire tried to do for its entire “lifespan”, over the centuries all of those states had rulers with different ambitions and policies. I’m pretty sure the idea of uniting the entire subcontinent was considered in other countries at different points.

Maybe I guess? Weren’t they reduced to guerilla fighting against the Ottomans during this entire time period? I’ve considered putting them in the poll, but I’ve come to the conclusion it wouldn’t be the best time period for them. They had a unified kingdom until the 14th century after all, and even if we wanted to insist on their resistence effort above everything else they would probably be outshined by the Vlachs who faced the same opponent in the same time period and had a bigger realm and population.

Sure, the Indian kingdoms like any kingdom wanted to focus on war and conquest due to the competition that existed in the subcontinent both inside and outside of it… Eventually some Hindu kingdom might or might not unify the subcontinent…the Mauryans in the ancient times,Delhi in the Middle Ages,the Mughals in the Ealry Modern Era and the British Raj and India in the Contemporary Era…

In 1272 the Kingdom of Albania was created after a delegation of Albanian noblemen from Durrës signed a treaty declaring union with the Kingdom of Sicily under Charles.[129] Charles soon imposed military rule, new taxes, took sons of Albanian noblemen hostage to ensure loyalty, and confiscated lands for Angevin nobles. This led to discontent among Albanian noblemen, several of whom turned to Byzantine Emperor Michael VIII. In late 1274, Byzantine forces helped by local Albanian noblemen capture Berat and Butrint.[130] Charles’ attempt to advance towards Constantinople failed at the Siege of Berat (1280–1281). A Byzantine counteroffensive ensued, which drove the Angevins out of the interior by 1281. The Sicilian Vespers rebellion further weakened the position of Charles, who died in 1285. By the end of the 13th century, most of Albania was under Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos. In 1296 Serbian king Stephen Milutin captured Durrës. In 1299 Andronikos II married his daughter Simonis to Milutin and the lands he had conquered were considered as dowry. In 1302, Philip I, Prince of Taranto, grandson of Charles, claimed his rights on the Albanian kingdom and gained the support of local Albanian Catholics who preferred him over the Orthodox Serbs and Greeks, as well as the support of Pope Benedict XI. In the summer of 1304, the Serbs were expelled from the city of Durrës by the locals who submitted themselves to Angevin rule.

Kingdom of Albania in 1272–1274, established by Charles I of Naples.

In the 14th century a number of Albanian principalities were created. These included Principality of Kastrioti, Principality of Dukagjini, Princedom of Albania, and Principality of Gjirokastër. At the beginning of the 15th century these principalities became stronger, especially because of the fall of the Serbian Empire. Some of these principalities were united in 1444 under the anti-Ottoman military alliance called League of Lezha.

The Albanian principalities, ca. 1390.

The League of Lezhë in 1448–1468.

Albanians were recruited all over Europe as a light cavalry known as stratioti. The stratioti were pioneers of light cavalry tactics during the 15th century. In the early 16th century heavy cavalry in the European armies was principally remodeled after Albanian stradioti of the Venetian army, Hungarian hussars and German mercenary cavalry units (Schwarzreitern)

Stradiot in AoE 3 DE… The Stradiot is mercenary heavy cavalry in Age of Empires III . It performs similarly to an improved Hussar, putting it in between the Mameluke and the Hackapell.They were mercenary units from the Balkans recruited mainly by states of southern and central Europe from the 15th century until the middle of the 18th century.They pioneered light cavalry tactics in European armies in the early modern era.

The Stradiotto were originally the cavalry of Giorgio Castriota, an Albanian who was raised a hostage of the Ottoman court, which named him Iskander Bey. He escaped his captivity and led a rebellion against the Ottomans that expelled them from Albania. His forces, the remnants of which were the Stradiots, used guerilla tactics and the rugged Albanian terrain to repel the Ottoman Turks. The Stradiots were later employed as mercenaries by the Venetians in the sixteenth century.

These cavalrymen were unruly and could be counted on to break off from a fight to raid camps or supply trains. They wore turkish clothes, including baggy pants and shirts and turkish mail, but eschewed turbans for European helmets. They typically carried short spears called assegai that had points on both ends, but also used swords, maces, and crossbows.

Prior to the Ottoman conquest of Albania, the political situation of the Albanian people was characterised by a fragmented conglomeration of scattered kingdoms and principalities such as the Principalities of Arbanon, Kastrioti and Thopia. Before and after the fall of Constantinople, the Ottoman Empire continued an extended period of conquest and expansion with its borders going deep into the Southeast Europe. As a consequence thousands of Albanians from Albania, Epirus and Peloponnese escaped to Calabria, Naples, Ragusa and Sicily, whereby others sought protection at the often inaccessible Mountains of Albania.

Under the leadership of Gjergj Kastrioti Skanderbeg, a former governor of the Ottoman Sanjak of Dibra, a prosperous and longstanding revolution erupted with the formation of the League of Lezhë in 1444 up until the Siege of Shkodër ending in 1479, multiple times defeating the mightiest power of the time led by Sultans Murad II and Mehmed II. Skanderbeg managed to gather several of the Albanian principals, amongst them the Arianitis, Dukagjinis, Zaharias and Thopias, and establish a centralised authority over most of the non-conquered territories and proclaiming himself the Lord of Albania (Dominus Albaniae in Latin).[147] Skanderbeg consistently pursued the aim relentlessly but rather unsuccessfully to create a European coalition against the Ottomans. His unequal fight against them won the esteem of Europe and financial and military aid from the Papacy and Naples, Venice and Ragusa

Gjergj Kastrioti Skanderbeg led a successful rebellion to resist Ottoman expansion into Europe for 25 years. (Here you have something to have an Albanian campaign in AoE 2 in a possible dlc of the Balkans):

1. Battle of Torvioll (1444):Albanians vs Ottomans (Turks)

2. Siege of Shkoder (1447-1448):Albanians vs Venetians (Italians) and Ottomans (Turks)

3. Siege of Modrica (1452):Albanians vs Ottomans (Turks)

4. Dukagjini Civil War (1456-1457):Albanians and Venetians vs Ottomans and Venetians

5. Battle of Vaikal (1465):Albanians vs Ottomans

6. Battle of Kruje (1467):Albanians vs Ottomans

2 Likes

This guy dieing of old age is his biggest accomplishment even tho he fought with friend and foe alike.

Yes, I was seeing that he allied and fought so much with the Venetians and Ottomans alike…poor,what that would have been to be between two powers fighting over his land…

Playing geo politics before it became cool :wink:

Albania was like a weak village, so please no.

Yes, how could he have endured like the best…

It’s just a simple idea just in case at some point they decide to make a Balkan dlc…

Well, imo we need Vlachs, Serbians and Croatians before we can consider Albanians.

2 Likes

Yes, maybe it will be 3 civs or 4 like the dlc of India: Serbs, Croats, Albanians and Vlachs (with Dracula’s campaign as its own)…

I want to see civilizations from Central and Southern Africa, and maybe a few from South America as well (I’d rather the Inca and other civilizations from that continent have a unique “South American” architecture set rather than one shared with the Mesoamerican civilizations). Tibet would be nice if they could get past the Chinese censors. So would the Mississippians and Anasazi depending on how much info is available about them to reconstruct a playable civilization.

2 Likes

Why are they more important?

To begin with, I think we should finish breaking the Slav umbrella and give the Dracula campaign its proper faction (and give the Russians, Hungarians and Turks their own campaigns) before doing anything else in Eastern Europe. There’s also the fact that Albania was always smaller and less populous than the other three, which doesn’t help.

3 Likes