Which of these features can, by itself, make you buy AOE4 on release?

My point exactly. The camera choice is absurd for a RTS.

3 Likes

I think the problem is indeed the angel. From what I FELT, age 2 was nearly a top down camera, which offered SO MUCH MORE planning opportunities. Maybe they should add the ability to change camera angling, so I can play my game of macro and others can see their beauticul cinematic game? :smiley:

1 Like

Some clarifications:

• when I say
    ā€œBut someone, I have no idea who or why, has decided that the next big RTS game must look like AC Odyssey or The Witcher or whateverā€
    Iā€™m still referring to camera, perspective, and point of view, not the level of detail, beauty of the graphics etc. I should have been more careful, my bad, maybe I should correct that.

• In making the example of the keep, Iā€™m not trying to defend the scale in the game, quite the opposite. Iā€™d like a ā€œgrandioseā€ keep, and I think there are ways in which we could have it (well, maybe not ā€œgrandioseā€, but bigger yes :wink:): just a different camera, give up the RPG camera and bring back the RTS one. I think the scale in general is silly and unpleasant. I was simply proposing that the choice of perspective prevents a more accurate one. So, devs, change the camera and give us a bigger keep, a more coherent scale, not the other way around! :grin:

Some comments to your reply.

Totally agree! I would add that even in fighting, when the number of units involved increases, too zoom in isnā€™t desirable .

Donā€™t agree with this though. Coming from AoE I & II, I think that having to constantly zoom in and out during gameplay is not advisable. This, of course, doesnā€™t mean you shouldnā€™t be able to choose what zoom level is optimal for you, given a reasonable zoom interval from which to choose.

Adam Isgreen says in interviews that performance play a big role in zoom level. I have no reason to not believe that. But then again, you canā€™t have a RTS with a camera, point of view, of a RPG or FPS and expect the game to both look good and play well.
What you can have, and should aim for, in my humble opinion, is a RTS with a RTS camera (very strange, right?) so that the game looks beautiful and plays well, just from a bit farther away. If, for technical/performance reasons, I canā€™t zoom in too much, I wouldnā€™t mind that, I would consider it a good compromise (S, in RTS, stands for strategy ā€¦).

On a general note, I think we share the same criticism about graphics, art visual, level of details, look of units and all you talk about. I was indeed replying to a topic that asks what changes would make me buy the game. So, you can see that Iā€™m pretty dissatisfied with the game as it is now, so much that, nothing changing, I will not buy the game. And, as per topic, I was trying to single out what the main issue is, what is the prerequisite on which to build all our other discussions about graphics, gameplay, civilizations, and all the rest. Camera and perspective are not a sufficient requirement to solve all the issues of the game, but a necessary one to start traying.

Iā€™m all in in favor of gameplay, itā€™s a necessity, especially for a RTS game, but I do not see how this game could be considered ā€œonly focused on gameplayā€, to me, the opposite is true. That fact then, that it also looks ā€œbadā€ (except the environment, which I find beautiful and appropriate) itā€™s not funny, at all.
But itā€™s not a paradox, and I hope to have been able to show why perspective and camera settings have to do with it.

By the way, for reference, Iā€™m an old AoE II (and AoE I) single player that loves campaigns and enjoys watching the competitive scene.

Regarding the RTS genere, unfortunately, I think itā€™s now clear (also given all the features that we now know will not be present at release) that AoE IV is a much smaller/different project than we had hoped for.

3 Likes

Yeah, if only could be possible to have both! :grinning:

1 Like