Why AoE2 is boring

the militia can be stopped by small walls (eg. 2 palisade walls + a mining camp is enough to protect 4 miners). repairing is pretty cheap

fullwalling is a different problem, where people can turn every map into arena. we already have a bunch of maps like arena. we don’t need every non-arena map to become arena

1 Like

I really think the person made a mistake in the title and just made a list of stuff they found annoying.

3 Likes

I think this was a balance decision by the devs. Its surprising how many terrestrial builds depend on sunlight. I think a lot of players just think the daylight effect is just helpful for LOS, but it actually gives a lot of buffs to different units. If they eliminated or even reduced sunlight it would be a mega nerf to plants/arboreals/etc.

And land and sea maps are so different, it keeps the metas interesting with completely different play styles.

5 Likes

tbh, I’m not understanding you here.

Elephants are a stronger unit than m@@, then they have to have fewer upgrades to keep them in the strong tier and not OP tier

Cumans are not a very strong civ. No need for a nerf

1 Like

Omfg actually it’s the other way around… Look at what top tier units are supposed to look like-> cavalry archers

It is really clever to say the best unit should have the fewest upgrades… :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: When actually the best unit should have the most number of and most expensive upgrades in order for it to reach that level.

Instead we have the complete opposite

1 Like

except literally most popular RTS tell us this is not true.

They are punished in several impactful ways:

1. they spend time and resources on walling.
    Opponent doesn’t try to capitalise on that? That’s on them.

2. they surrender map control to the opponent, they paint themselves into a corner and limit their mobility and expansion flexibility.
    Opponent just shrugs and throws the opportunity away by not asserting map control and just sits in their own corner as well? That’s on them.

Summa summarum: the game isn’t going to play itself. You can leverage your opponents’ decision against them but it’s all up to you to do it. If the opponent just walls and booms you can either punish them early and take the game quickly since they sacrifice early military capability or you can assert map control and handle whatever the opponent is going for. AoE2 is a very dynamic game with virtually endless situational possibilities and perhaps not a game for everyone if one dismays that fact.

4 Likes

War Elephant has 670 health on elite and about 24 attack

Already a beast. There’s a reason it’s not much cost-effective to make in most games. Because if you make and mass them, the game is practically over

They are a raiding unit and not very strong against some Cavalry.

And the game is balanced around that,

Militia line might not be very viable, but that’s because they are not supposed to be the main part of your army (except Goths and probably Japanese)

Yeah, let’s make WE OP because of your logic then…

2 Likes

On the whole “too much upgrades” issue for militia line, the deal is that they are a dark age unit, so they will need a lot of upgrades to stop being dark age units.

2 Likes

Yes. Militia is a unit that is useable in every age. So should get most upgrades suitable to each age.

Mmmhh maybe u have alright to cuman, i don’t know for this civ…

The problem is here: to get good m@@ we need many upgrade: these upgrade take many time, many resource. When we play elephant we have almost full upgrade elephant, this is too strong…

You need to learn to play?

Spoil alert: the Feodal Age u don’t need extra-ressource, and u lose control map if ur opponent past castle age.
Also, if ur opponent play feodal age and he was full wall at 7 min, and u not, he have better advantage to u, u can’t play with this.

Other spoil alert: a player who was full wall don’t FC obligatorily, he can play feodal age. He can have other strategy.

The problem is not here, the problem is for elephant: he don’t have many upgrade.

Yeah and we spend a hell of a lot of resources to make them.

But that unit is very expensive to mass

Also, you still need all the upgrades to have a strong unit

2 Likes

Can you benefit from “extra” resources in Feudal age (or any age for that matter)?

Not with that attitude, no.

Will you necessarily lose map control just because your opponent has reached the Castle Age?

With that attitude, yes.

Can you still play the game if your opponent tries to wall early?

Not with that attitude, no.

So you have to concede any advantage due to whatever arbitrary reason and can’t adapt… but the enemy doesn’t and can?

2 Likes

I read this in you’re voice lol. @Hjoerleif

Guys check out his youtube channel if you have a second. Quick 2 minute long AOE2 tutorials. Very helpful for newer players learning skills.

4 Likes

These units fill different roles though and a large chunk of tge upgrades for the m@a line is due to it starting in the dark age and progressing to imp.

Bloodlines, husbandry, and of course elite.
Also most elephants have a unique tech that applies.
For a unit in castle age. That’s 2 per age.

The m@a line has 8 and starts in dark age. Two per age.
(M@a, ls, ths, champ, supplies, arson, squires).

1 Like

Thank you for the sudden shout-out! I’m glad you like my content :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ll check it out later.

3 Likes