Why do I keep getting the same seed over and over?

I play vs AI on Arabia a lot and I keep getting the exact same map layout as before. I got the exact same bugged map I saw on some tournament with sheep stuck behind a cliff like 5 times. Then after downloading Green Arabia I got the same bugged seed 5 times out of every 10 games with no starting sheep. Shouldn’t there be like 10 billion seed variations? Why am I getting the same maps over and over? I’ve confirmed the seed is the same twice now from checking replays. It happens enough to where I remember the whole map layout and where to wall my base. I have even gotten the same seed 3 or more times in a row before.

Has anyone else been getting the same seed repeatedly? It’s been happening to me ever since I bought the game. Also, how do I pick which seed number to play? That way I can go from 1 to 10 billion and never have to play the same seed.

I believe that this was just fixed in Update 40220 today.

Download the latest update, give it another go and see if it’s fixed for you.

1 Like

I’ve been playing on the new version for a few hours now and am still getting the same seed variation. The seed number is completely unrelated to those changes, although the sheep thing won’t happen anymore at least. I just got 2 games back to back with the same seed number right now though. You can check the seed number in replays under Objectives.

if i didnt know it better, i would say you must be living in one of those novels, where the main character keeps having impossible luck. Next you will become the next top proplayer because of your luck you will always know the map somehow and hit every mangonel shot.

2 Likes

In that case you may have the same bug as SuccinctRain.
You probably want to update his bug report post and hopefully the devs will be able to take a look at it.

Random map repeated several times

Isn’t the “random” part of games based on the PC’s internal clock? maybe yours is not working properly?

I am curios, what do you mean by that?

I’m not sure how DE works but doesn’t every game have a different RNG system it gets from player input and/or other factors? I don’t know what you mean by internal clock.

After watching this video I think AoE2 DE just has a very badly designed RNG system so it’s only using a very small percentage of the seeds available. I’m sure it’s not just my game, I keep the settings the same every game and click Start Game extremely fast while the screen is still black from memorizing the button positions so maybe it doesn’t have time to randomize.

if i didnt know it better, i would say you must be living in one of those novels, where the main character keeps having impossible luck. Next you will become the next top proplayer because of your luck you will always know the map somehow and hit every mangonel shot.

Maybe that’s how TheViper always got perfect maps and won every tournament because he knew some crazy inputs to get the map he wanted, or he knew exactly how AoE2 RNG works, but with DE it’s a different game which is why he’s been getting bad maps in tournaments, not yet knowing how the DE RNG works. It most likely uses the civs/settings as RNG also which is why SuccintRain kept getting the same map.

1 Like

I hope this is a joke and you don’t really believe that…

7 Likes

It’s a joke. I didn’t think anyone would take my comment seriously. It’s theoretically possible someone could do it, like if you press a sequence of buttons over and over it could give you a certain seed or something, if the games RNG was bad enough. I doubt any human could do it though.