Why do people prefer short grunt-rush matches?

Right now every high elo player basically grunt rushes pretty commonly, so just look up a pro’s steam.

3 Likes

you saying you found a grunt rusher with over 600 hours?

Yup just find the AOE4 leaderboard, and 99% of them currently frequently playing Mongol tower rush since that is what is meta.

Marinelord has 256 games and Goijra 170 and DeMuslim 779 games. I’m sure they have 600 hours in the game and usually play very aggressively pre-15 minutes (and current meta is dark age Mongol rush which have like a 25% pick rate high elo, and Rus has another 20% which is fast castle rushing with horse archers at 9 minutes)

1 Like

It’s true that AOE has long-term game in mind better than most RTS games like SC2. You can theoretically keep the game going even when all the natural resources are expended in the map by selling foods from farms.

But civs in AOE are based around strengths in certain areas. Many civs have strengths in the early ages (French, Mongols), others in later ages (China, Delhi), and civ like HRE, while wicked good at later age, forces you to have castle age map control in order to take advantage of its late game mechanics.

If factions like French and Mongols fail to damage civs like China and HRE early game, there is no chance of winning the macro game going forward.

Thing about rushes is that doing cookie-cutter rushes at higher levels is simply to force your opponent to waste resources and have their workers idle even for 5 seconds so that you delay their castle age or imperial age tech-ups.

It’s super fun to see late game huge armies fighting each other, but to many RTS fans, layers of mind games adds many more layers of fun.

4 Likes

While I personally enjoy playing imperial age gameplay, many people in this community do not. There are a plethora of threads complaining about imp age and siege/bombards/fire lancers/mangonels or whatever are too strong and late game fights are boring siegefests.

I personally disagree, but that could contribute to the popularity of early game focus.

How long would you have to wait for an attack to be “appropriate”?

“people that actually play properly with all the features in the game know that all 8 civilizations are fine and nothing has too much power. it only becomes a problem with the bum rushing mode.”

you totally missed the point of the post you’re replying to if you think that. There are civs that are way too strong if “bum rushing” is artificially prevented, e.g. the HRE and their boom potential. They DO have too much power and that IS a problem (if bum rushing isn’t allowed). That being said, you can still easily make a case that some civs (mongols) are currently too good at bum rushing. That’s an easy case. It doesn’t mean that “bum rushing” is itself inherently a problem.

Correct play is using the features the app/program was made for. People that actually play properly would know that bum rushing with the horses/elephants of any time including the fire ones doesnt work unless the recipient is a substandard player.

how can you get 600 hours by bum rushing short games with 256 or 170 games unless the person sits in lobbies a lot which counts with steam hour ratings as well.

who was talking about horses or elephants lol

Then this is the game for u find a new fast pa e game like call of duty.dont play this game.this ruins the game

pros like marinelord do more than be in-game and they don’t quit if their rush fails. Even if rushing is meta, high level players frequently defend properly so the game still lasts 20+ minutes oftentimes.

Also these pros have longer queue times and usually spend time warming up or working on builds in custom games and often do the campaign for content.

Also marinelord has at least 2 smurfs so he actually has over 600 games played.

little blue person?!?

so a p̶r̶o̶ grunt rusher has 600 bum rush games doesnt mean 600 hours.

1 Like

Marinelord is a starcraft2 pro that moved to AOE4 and is one of the top 8 players in the world at this game.

A “smurf” account is an alternate account, usually used to play at lower ranks than your main account (which is a rude thing to do), and/or to hide who you are. I don’t know why MarineLord has two smurf accounts.

As you get to a higher level, rushing doesn’t always win games, it’s effective at lower levels because lower level players don’t scout well, and aren’t great at adapting. When you get to a higher level its often the adapting after rushing that wins games. As for why people do it, seizing the initiative and putting pressure on your opponent is how you win at Aoe, if you can build your eco in peace, while harassing theirs, you can get ahead of the enemy and set yourself on a path to victory. Remember it’s a competitive game, if you are after more casual matches your probably better off doing custom lobbies.

1 Like

Well, this article can be simplified as YOU ARE A BIG NOOB. Ok jokings aside, you don’t enjoy quick rush game because you can’t win that. If you can win then it is fun

Why do you call trying to win the game cheap win? That’s an insult to players. If I don’t rush do I wait there for 800 elo noob opponent to boom to late imp with 200 pop and then fight him?

1 Like

My suggestion for you, don’t play age of empires, play cities skylines, tropico, or farming simulator

All of u and pros go to another game its not call of duty or some fast pace game.stop ruining for the rest the game needs some balance and some heavy nerfs in this game to stop A lot of this annoying meta for sure.

1 Like