Why does everyone think AOE3DE is being abondened?

Aussie Drongo was a pretty big blow. There are still a few YouTubers that are devoted to AoE3DE but they’re relatively small accounts.

But yeah, I try to urge people to be more vocal and I’m not talking about the forums or discord but social media. Do it respectfully, obviously, but the people in charge need to see there are plenty of people out there who are fans of the game and want to support it the best they can. Sometimes I feel like AoE3DE fans have some sort of battered wife syndrome where they’re reticent to get their voices heard.

We can’t be afraid to voice our enthusiasm and appreciation. These things go a long way.

Championing this game requires more involvement than just the forums. Twitter and Instagram are big platforms. Use them if you have an account.

5 Likes

Game development, especially on this level, is largely motivated by investors and in broader terms- simple greed. Publishers are primarily interested in the maximization of profits, and these days for the most part most go for PvP FPP/TPP, always online, semi-f2p offerings riddled with microtransactions, season passes, expansion passes, limited and paywalled (!) skins and other things like that.

Creating a classic RTS game for most big players in the industry is nowhere near as profitable as pumping out another hero shooter, even if 1000 of them already exist.

That doesn’t mean it’s all bad or being big=being bad, but it’s a different world than in 1999. For better or worse there is one big platform - multiplatform. And RTS games are very much PC-centric. Not all, but for the most part. So naturally they don’t fit. You can do so much on a pad with few buttons.

Good stuff still happens. We can accuse Ubisoft of many things, but they released and support (VERY good) arguably the best city-building economic RTS in recent history- ANNO1800.
Or Microsoft, one of the giants in the industry- between remastering prehistoric game like AoE I or releasing Gears: Tactics… It’s not all bad.
Hell! Even EA, the bottom of the barrel, somehow managed to not completely destroy CnC Remaster.

Most of good stuff is in the indie scene. On Steam alone I have probably 100 wishlisted various RTS games. Not too many like classic AoE formula, but that genre overall is far from being dead. It just doesn’t fit mainstream.

Kids are not really talking about strategy games, they spend their time watching ads in mobile games, or playing F2P shooters.

3 Likes

A majority of people only play whatever the top 3 or 4 currently 'OP" civs are anyhow, what good are more civs? I guess so you can have a variety to choose from to fight the top 3-4 civs?

They literally said there would be “something” for “everyone”.
And the news article was tagged with the AoE2, AoE3 and AoE4 category.
AoE1DE might actually get nothing.

Just because there weren’t as many patches recently doesn’t mean the game is dead. AoE2DE got less patches on average then AoE3DE and you wouldn’t consider that game dead, would you?

The older the game is the less urgent bug fixes and balance patches are needed and there is more emphasise on larger things and bigger changes that take more then a month to implement and test.

2 Likes

What are those civs at the moment? Interesting to compare lists

tbh with how the current mod system works, even if the day comes and support gets dropped, I am pretty sure an EP style patch is much more possible and much easier to implement

And 3DE will get something. And I literally wrote that already. It’s obvious there will be some event, the last one wasn’t a long time ago and they didn’t announce the studio moving on completely.

I’m speaking in general about various threads on this forum where people complain and expect unreasonable things.
Of course 1DE is not built to support stuff like that. And things like patches or updates are probable but weird as a gift for a 25anniversary, I’d suspect something more like a vid documentary, some comics, long interviews, fan+official art package or whatever. More fitting. Or nothing.
Microsoft announced the anniversary of a few franchises, but a couple of them don’t really support a format known in DE versions of AoE. I can’t imagine for example Dishonored getting new missions or gadgets to use in the campaign.

This thread is not about just event and I was writing about expectations in general - people, for their own good, should stop constantly demanding new content in a situation where there are no grounds to provide one from a business point of view.
Once we get three new avatars in 3DE we can thank the Lord because they have no obligations to provide even that, certainly never made such promises.

AoE IV is the newest AoE game with the most resources behind it, and in a normal situation nobody would expect anything more than small goodies and event made specifically for that entry in the series. We’re just in a weird spot where old games have been remastered fairly recently and are still well supported with some dev teams behind the curtains.

3 Likes

Brazil maybe?..

That’s true…the games cost much more millons than in 1999 and if these games are not be profitable in a short term,will be considered a failure and the devs have to pass to other things more “profitable” aka shotters or open world games…

That’s true,but the CnC Remaster goes well because EA haven’t put the hands on it…the CnC Remaster has development by the originals devs of these games…And about the indie RTS,i have one eye on Tempest Rising and these Terminator RTS…

That’s true…my little brother want to play LoL but i can he played the AoE saga first…and now he plays Crash Royale,but something is something i guess xd…

because there are bugs that are still in the game since 2 years ago.

for example:

the 4 signals on the map to use, i cannot use them too, i dont know if someone has reported that.
But i stopped reporting bugs, as the bug i mentiones above hasnt been fixed.

iu can keep improving giving time left to spawn units, vision of the unit shown with a number on iu etc,

i think is abandoned because i see no improvement on iu, bugs, etc. There are very nice improvements, but we as players we want to know the game is improving each week, its like going to make exercise to a gym, you know that every week you can make more reps with the same weight

2 Likes

There was a huge new DLC just a few months ago. That’s not going to happen very regularly. Doesn’t mean game is getting abandoned. Will still be getting updates.

6 Likes

Je pense honnêtement que le jeu continuera à se développer, comme le dis mon voisin du dessus ils ont sortie il y a quelques mois un dlc majeur, le jour où il sera en maintenance active ou sur la fin, des moddeurs développeront probablement des gros mods à la war of liberty qui sera assuré qu’une Mise à jour ne demandera pas de refaire les mods à chaque fois.

Les dev continueront leur rework des civilisations avant de se poser des question si oui ou non le jeu sera abandonné, mais perso je suis plutôt optimiste.

You have to be patient, the update will arrive soon!

18 Likes

Trust, this game is immortal!

4 Likes

The game is being abandoned, don’t you see?

The devs aren’t posting updates 24/7. Bugs should solved immediatly after they are detected and tweaking balance is super easy, barely an inconvenience. It’s not like slightly modifying a number could make a civ unplayable or a juggernauth.

The game is dying because there are not DLC’s every other week. Also, the devs should be pumping no less than three civs per DLC.

i think is abandoned because i see no improvement on iu, bugs, etc. There are very nice improvements, but we as players we want to know the game is improving each week, its like going to make exercise to a gym, you know that every week you can make more reps with the same weight

Honestly said even if the developers abandon it, fan patches will start to arise with the development by the community, all free (I hope).
That said it still has to do aoe 3 de, they simply see the numbers of players they see the budget to spend and they are based on what and how to do.

We cannot contain our patience. Every update rekindles our joy for this masterpiece. Please also have a new what’s on the horizon for a little bit of assurance that the game will still have more in the future. Despite how not often the updates are but just communication like this post makes it known that you guys (staff for AOE 3 DE) are still there. Thank you for the great updates as always.

5 Likes

It has been a trend of game developers to be less communicative. FE used to be quite communicative, which I genuine appreciated. Now, they seem to have stopped, going into the 3rd month of radio silence. They used to do monthly updates. Now they don’t.

Faith is fine. But normally if a developer wants to slow the development cycle they say so. They don’t just clam up and leave. These guys have left. So, whatever changed was unplanned, or they would have told us they were at the end of the development cycle and they were leaving the game “content complete.”

They didn’t do that. I think they’ve moved on. We’ll have to guess why.

1 Like

the devs do not abandon AOE3, but players do.

2 Likes

Chess hasn’t been updated for centuries and people still play that all of the time. Games that require constant drip-feed updates to keep players interested was never such a good game in the first place. A great game is great in and of itself because of the gameplay depth etc. Between 2007-2020 there were zero updates and people were just fine playing the game. Relax everybody.

3 Likes

What are you talking about? chess gets updated all the time especially with all the tournament rules and such.

Didn’t you know that Queens used to be the weakest piece? Only able to move diagonally in one space, that’s only some of what I know.