Why I will switch to Age of Empires 4

Expensive is relative based on a number of things, the only way you can consistently measure cost is based on industry standard.

If a game cost the same as industry standard, you should expect the standard amount of content; if you expect them to do a ton of new stuff that’s never been done before, then you should expect them to charge more for the additional work.

Again, if you can’t see the difference in how much AoE4 is different from AoE2 or 3, vs any FIFA game, you either aren’t trying to look at this objectively at all or you’re really that clueless.

Just the change to allow units to garrison on walls, and restricting what units can damage walls is a bigger change from AoE2 than anything between any FIFA game.

The final decision to have missiles always hit has a giant impact on gameplay, like far more than any of the small amount of change FIFA adds (unless they added an “always hit the goal” mechanic or something).

Just because they didn’t do what you wanted doesn’t mean that they didn’t make changes and have to do a lot of development work to get the different mechanics to be fun together.

While parts of my post may be opinion, most of it not.

The campaigns are, objectively, not the same. The Joan of Arc campaign is going to cover a larger timeframe than the original, and even if it didn’t it couldn’t be the “same” campaign because the game’s mechanics are different than AoE2.

This means they have to write a new script (which is objectively new, not an opinion), plan out and build new campaign missions, record new VO, etc. This is all new even if it’s not the new you wanted.

You do realize that having the same names as previous civilizations doesn’t make them the same right?

And that the campaigns have to be redone for the new game even if they cover some of the same events?

I understand you’re hellbent on justifying your claim that there’s nothing new, but this game is not just AoE2 or AoE3 again, full stop.

It’s fine if the changes and new content are not to your liking but that doesn’t mean the game isn’t providing new content.

2 Likes

No.

Were you trying to contribute something?

I’m confused what you mean by races. Trying to get clarification.

What do you think it means? What, exactly, is confusing about it?

It’s common terminology in RTS games since their inception.

Might be for games like SC2 that aren’t strictly human, but in AoE there are only people. It’s like renaming English to Caucasian. Didn’t know what you meant.

I’m not quite attributed to many other RTS, sorry if I sounded rude.

1 Like

No worries, it’s common in pretty much every other RTS because the ones that are limited to just real world people are the minority (and the genre started with SciFi thanks to Dune, Command & Conquer and WarCraft; StarCraft came quite a bit later.

It is pretty inaccurate since “species” is probably more accurate in those cases (similar to RPGs where Elves, Orcs and Humans are different races).

3 Likes

Hahaha - a thousand times this!

I think not seeing anyone use stealth yet is more a matter of not looking - there’s dozens of games available on YT showing it being used.

Lol…another great example of people writing off the game when they haven’t even learned how it plays or what it features.

3 Likes

To be fair I’ve played AoE2 for like 20 years and didn’t know there was a difference between fish, he’s not the only one who didn’t realize something

I feel like this thread and the replies were copied and pasted by bots from the initial closed beta forums lol.

Anyhow, as someone who has played 5-10k hrs of SC, SC2 and AoE2 I find it hard to believe there are people who would disagree with OP.

5 Likes

Dude, I suggest you to play AoE2, way better game camera angle, zoom and balance. I kinda agree that AoE4 might be bringing all these good things there, but AoE2 is a no joke. It is a masterpiece. That’s the reason why people find it harder to switch to AoE4 from AoE2.

I agree that AoE4 switching from SC2 is great given that macro is not that hard in SC2 as it is in AoE series (1,2 and 4, not 3). I got to plat level in SC2 in just 2 weeks after understanding macro and unit counters in SC2 as the level of macro is so hard in AoE2 compared to SC2.

1 Like

well said mate, these are the main reasons for me, I am coming from WC 3 but I find aoe games to be more chill and relaxing. I can’t handle the sweat after my office, I already have PVP in my IRL career, I rather get best at that instead of a videogame.

4 Likes

I actually played AOE2 for several years back on the Zone. I even played some games against The Sheriff and Maimin Matty (the best players back then). AOE2 is in my top 3 games ever together with SC2 and the original Civilization.

I tried to go back to AOE2 again last year but the start is too slow for me now since I have been playing SC2 for the last 10 years. Which is what I like about AOE4, it keeps the macro depth of AOE2 but speeds up the slow repetive start of the game.

2 Likes

That’s why we have Empire Wars, duh.

Not really the same thing.
Doesn’t empire wars start you off with a prebuild base?

Yeah, if you don’t know if it starts with a prebuild base, how do you know its not the same thing.

You have mode call Empire wars now who which replaces the mode Deathmatch

Empire wars does start off faster but for me an avg game of empire wars lasts 50 mins while an avg game of standard supremacy take 25 mins

Because i’ve played Starcraft 2 and the game in general is much faster.
Even when starting with a single tc and workers.

Empire wars is fast sure, but it is just artificially placing you forward in time. (building a mini base for you etc)

Which is fun for tournaments I suppose, but I don’t want that to be the standard mode in ranked play.