Why Indians are so weird in this game?

and yet what do khmer have outside of BE? not a lot frankly. their archers lack thumbring. their stable doesn’t have paladin or camels, and their infantry lack the final armor upgrade, champion, and supplies.

they don’t exist. Szaladon is saying he would like to see them added.

they don’t ignore sails, it’s just a low priority. this game has always put balance and gameplay over realism.
and all tech mode isn’t allowed in ranked play or tournaments.
India has a pretty solid Navy to be able to protect their ships with, lacking only shipwright and fast fire ship. they still get galleons, bracer, and all the other pertinent upgrades.

he means they have one of the best economies in the game. they can boom harder and faster then any other civ in this game.

historically influenced, yes, not accurate. or did you think aztecs having access to siege weapons and steel is accurate?

because of how great their economy is, look at how many times Khmer have been nerfed with battle elephants and then look at how much better the Indian economy is compared to Khmer, and how much better a tech tree Indians have.

3 Likes

What does that mean?

Adding one new unit or some ship sails will make it hard to re-learn? What are these people memorising?

2 Likes

It is english.

Historically themed, not based.

Farm Boom fueled by progressive Villager discount, coupled with Sultans UT.

it’s not just adding one new unit. you’d have to completely redesign Indians with Battle Elephants.

2 Likes

Can they not fix the existing civilization?

1 Like

Adding one unit will have to rebalance whole civ. The Villager discount would have to be deleted, and Sultans would need to be heavily nerfed into irrelevancy.

It is fixed, it is one of the strongest civs in Team Games, and brutal if you let them boom.

1 Like

not without causing confusion among the mass majority of the playerbase as to why all of a sudden Indians completely changed.
just because it isn’t designed the way you want it to be doesn’t mean it doesn’t work by the way.
Goths in no way accurately portray the gothic people.
Mayans deplored the use of the bow, yet they are designed as a archer civilization.
Chinese don’t have any gunpowder units despite they themselves inventing gunpowder.

1 Like

But can they trample enemies or destroy buildings? They couldn’t even kill a siege machine.

trample damage? no.
but they do get bonus damage vs buildings, they actually do very well against siege, taking far more punishment then your normal typical archer would, and they are great against enemy archers.

1 Like

How, I don’t think so. Khmer get food every second. They can advance to next age very easily.

new meta, build order and baseline strategies

battle elephants would change alot, as they would require nerfing other units

Indians should have the best Elephants in the game which is not the case.
Also what about the Ship Sails?

1 Like

yes khmer get food every second. they also farm slower then Indians as a result of that.
Indians also spend far less food on villagers then most civs do, and they get the sultans UT which means they gather gold faster then pretty much anyone.

in that case be prepared for your civ to be nerfed hard. Khmer have been nerfed repeatedly and have no where near as good a tech tree as Indians have.
why do you make such a big issue about Indians being accurately portrayed, but ignore all the other civs who aren’t portrayed accurately.

every civ doesn’t have their own unique sales. they are regionalized instead.

2 Likes

I am not a pro, so take this opinion with a grain of salt, but I’d like to point out that all four civilizations that have access to the Battle Elephant have either a civ bonus or a unique technology that benefits their elephants, or both. If we take the Khmer for example, which has the strongest Battle Elephants:

• Khmer Battle Elephants move +15% faster.
  • Khmer get a Unique Technology in the Castle Age that gives their Battle Elephants +3 attack.
  • Khmer can fully upgrade their Battle Elephants.

If Indians were to receive Battle Elephants but without any civ bonuses or unique technologies benefiting them (though they would be able to fully upgrade them) would they be too strong? I don’t know. I guess pro players would need to test this one out.

I don’t think it is out of the question for the devs to tinker with the Indian civilization. They also gave the Mongols Steppe Lancers, after all.

Also, note the Persians don’t get access to Battle Elephants either - they just have a stronger elephant unit that they can train from the Castle - which seems equally weird to me.

4 Likes

They did, but only after Steppe Lancers were nerfed to almost irrelevancy.
I would support Indians getting BEs, if BEs get a large sweeping multi-nerf like the SLs did, to the point that they are way behind Knights and Scouts in terms of cost-efficiency.

1 Like

I’d prefer that the SL would get some kind of role in the game. Right now, it’s a unit I don’t tech into because the Knight line is better overall and the Scout line cheaper.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt due to me mostly playing against the AI but even there, I don’t see a reason to go for Steppe Lancer if I’m playing as one of the three civs which get them (Cumans, Tatars, Mongols).

But we’re going off-topic anyway.

4 Likes

I have proposed various combinations of “Indians get BE + Nerf”, many of which have been critiqued as “making Indians too weak”.
Seeing the amount of hate ImpCamels get for being “too strong”, I am quite sceptical of claims that BE is necessarily too strong for Indians.

In my perception Indians have a ‘problem’ because they are much much stronger against cav then against non-cav. Against Goths for example, what do you do? Go to Imp and then make Hand Canon + Champ?
Giving them a general-purpose unit (combined with a suitable nerf) would reduce the number of civ-wins, and also reduce their dominance in team games whilst making them more viable in 1v1.
OTOH, this might also make them more generic.

Examples of nerfs which (allegedly) over-compensate for BE
2 Likes

No they didn’t. There was a point where they had to nerf indians massively because they were too strong for 1v1 (arbalest removed and camels nerfed).

Battle eles are really good units, giving them to a civ with a very strong eco and many solid options too doesn’t make sense.

That’s because the game is not supposed to be an exact depiction of history

Eh what?^^ In 1v1 that wouldn’t change much because BE are rather useless, here. There are some situations where it can make sense to produce them but it is very rare. Usually you are better off with investing your food into hussars/skirms or so. As for tg, I guess imp camels are still the better option, aren’t they?

3 Likes

Which i think is fine mostly for multiplayer reasons. It wouldn’t be fair to have 4ish new civs locked behind a pay wall and we have already 35 civ that are already a lot.
I’d still love some dlc with new campaigns tho and the possibility to create new civs with mods, this way the single player guys can play around with them as much as they want

3 Likes