The update has definitely come through, it’s on Steam, and I’m literally playing on it, or at least the preliminary version that has currently released. The link is here: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - Update 58259 - Age of Empires, just wondering why isn’t there an official patch notes topic on the forums yet though?
oh this is the same link, my bad 11
but this is the official patch notes. there just were no balance changes and most other changes are minor in my eyes, so no need to make a topic about it i guess.
I suppose so. I still think that it should be accessible from the forums.
2022 Will Be Busy!
At the close of last year we mentioned that there’s plenty on the horizon for Age II:DE , with our plans to continue updating and supporting the game for a long, long time. It’s the New Year and as we deliver the January Update, we’re working through a ton of planning in parallel and thinking about how we can best share our aspirations with you (and trust us, there’s some really cool stuff in the works!) We know you’re interested in this info, so we’ll be sure to follow up once we’re ready to reveal just a few of the things coming to Age II:DE in 2022!
Let’s see what they have in store for us.
- Villagers no longer go idle after going back to work if two Town Centers are selected.*
This is a big one for me since I use the select all town centers hotkey and usually hit the town bell at certain times if needed with all of them selected. I’m glad it’s fixed cause this was a huge problem at times.
Where is the promised roadmap?
- Increased the chance of generating a map with lower elevation.
- Herdables now spawn between 18 to 24 tiles away from the players’ town centers (from 20 to 24 tiles).
- Added multiple visual themes for the map.
- Forests now generate closer to the player’s town centers again.
- Forests surrounding the players are now larger (from 45 trees to 65 trees per forest).
- All elevation immediately around the players’ town centers has been removed.
- Herdables now spawn between 16 to 20 tiles away from the player’s town centers (from 20 to 24 tiles).
- Boars now generate closer to the player’s town centers (from 16 to 14 tiles).
- Slight variation has been added to the player’s starting location, so they no longer generate in a perfect circle.
These are all pretty big changes, hopefully the one about arabia hills means that there’s much less odds of having claustrophobically close hills surrounding the town center. Or better yet removing the odds of having such hills entirely.
I’m happiest about the runestones’ ‘all elevations around the tcs are removed’ finally. Hopefully that happens on arabia as well, or at least reduces town center area hills to a minimum.
This looks fun
- The center of the map is now accessible on all settings (more than 2 teams, free-for-all etc).
- The starting forest clumps are evenly distributed, larger, and slightly closer to the players.
- NEW! Ranked Deathmatch is now available in Custom Lobbies!
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to click anything on the ranked screen if a match is found in match making while the civ screen is opened.
This is a big one, I’ve been experiencing it allot as of late.
- Removed the “Preferred Region” filter from the Lobby Browser.
Can’t say I’m a fan of that.
NEW! Ctrl+right click can be used to attack a target, ignoring any retargeting command. A unit will only retarget if:
- They cannot path to the target object.
- The target has been killed.
- The target has moved out of range.
This looks very useful
2022 Will Be Busy!
At the close of last year we mentioned that there’s plenty on the horizon for Age II:DE, with our plans to continue updating and supporting the game for a long, long time. It’s the New Year and as we deliver the January Update, we’re working through a ton of planning in parallel and thinking about how we can best share our aspirations with you (and trust us, there’s some really cool stuff in the works!) We know you’re interested in this info, so we’ll be sure to follow up once we’re ready to reveal just a few of the things coming to Age II:DE in 2022!
This looks like they’re on the final stages of getting ready to share their roadmap.
I have played 4 games on Arabia so far. 2 times it was the KotD4 Arabia version (that I personally still like a lot) and 2 times I got another (new?) Arabia generation with less hills, green terrain and boars instead of elephants. Wasn’t aware of the Herdables spawning closer, didn’t notice the change at all.
I’m still getting mostly rhinos and occasionally elephants
Why wouldn’t they make a bigger deal of this. DM has lost so much because they have taken so long to bring this in. The least they could do is tell people with more of a fanfare
Defeat 1000 enemy units in Co-op missions.
Unlocks the cheat code “sharing is caring”: every player’s resource income on a team is distributed to the entire team.
I do wish they would stop putting cheat codes as rewards. I play coop with someone and we don’t have too many times a month we can play at the same time. This would be an awesome cheat code we’d love to use. Will we get it? Probably not. Thanks
At least something. We finally get back a versatile map. Hopefully then permanently in the pool.
But I still don’t get why devs decided to change arabia but then make a new map called Runestones that replaces the old arabia. That smells cheesy.
should rather be 60% boars and 40% ele/rhino
Is it just me or have some of the fonts changed in game and in the selection screens? I didn’t find anything about it in the patch notes.
Because they don’t really understand how to promote other gameyltypes and manage that through a UI
Playing Co-op with an AI also works for the achievements