Why People Love AoE 2

In this forum, the only thing people talk about is what’s wrong with AoE II. What about what it did right? I love AoE II for its medieval setting, I love its archers, knights and especially the trebuchets. So, this topic is for people who have fond memories of playing AoE II. I have literally never seen a person on the internet to be nice, just because one can be anyone on the internet, one doesn’t have to be mean.

2 Likes

There is a topic like this from the last year, game runs worse to me compared to that version, i was defending it back then, now well, those reasons now are fading away same with my will to even touch it.

3 Likes
  • Lots of ways to play (single vs AI, campaigns, challenges, custom scenarios, multiplayer, or just watch)
  • Regularly updated, but with careful consideration to civ balance
  • Lots of variety in civs, but all with basic units
  • Like any great game: easy to begin, difficult to master
  • Large community, including pros and casters
  • Revised graphics and quality of life features
  • Not Fortnite or Among Us
3 Likes

To add: Crisp, bright graphics and detail, and an excellent scenario editor. What we need now is more units/sprites/eyecandy/terrains for the editor to be even better.

3 Likes

AoE2 got me back into gaming, after I lost all interest into it. And with such care for the game from the developers, I couldn’t get more attached to my favorite piece of gaming ever created. What is there not to like about AoE!

2 Likes

Age of Empires II: DE reignited my love for the RTS genre, it was amazing, easy and the AI didn’t beat me up unlike the original and the campaigns were just wonderful especially the William Wallace campaign. My first game was particularly memorable, I played as the Britons on the Baltic map and I remember stumbling around just upgrading everything and just placing down random buildings. I defeated two of my enemies and I built a wonder for the fun of it. I even have a huge folder on my PC as well as the cloud about my best and most interesting games.

I loved that part, I think Fortnite dumbs people down beyond recognition. All the kids in the world are basically “Ninja posted a new vid, we gotta check it out. Whoa, he’s good I wanna be like him”, good thing I survived that craze.

1 Like

AoE2 is one of the few RTS games that were remade that preserved the essence of the original game and what made old RTS games great, while giving us new modern features, graphics, sound effects, technologies (modern networking, etc). more often than not when games receive a remake they diverge too much from the classic experience. this one did not. it simply picked up a good game made it so much better through improvement and much needed modernization but kept its soul intact.

1 Like

It didn’t desperately need modernisation but it was well appreciated.

2 Likes

Some people needed it though, to make that leap. I mean I have seen countless of posts about people and reviews on steam saying that DE specifically got them back into this game while HD was not able to pull them.

1 Like

The best graphical change were the longbows and onagers, it just made them look more life-like and fun.

Playing around with alternate history with thorougly enjoyable relaxed Singleplayer gameplay featuring base building and relatively complex economy management.

Alternate history??? I don’t get your point.

So you remember the Korean-Mayan wars in 1256? :wink:

1 Like

I forgot that bit before I replied.

1 Like

I guess you are right, the low-res sprites are a bit off-putting in the HD edition as well as the low-colour buildings.

The Western European civ keeps are the most beautiful thing in the world in my opinion.

1 Like

The Tatar universities are. Also the Tatar Trade Workshop.

1 Like

I personally really like the African Monastery and the SEA Keep.

In the 3 francesco de almeida campaign u can handle the man who the portuguese left as vassal in east africa, if u search any of the names of the nautikos family in the bari campaign u wouldnt find anything( this are some examples only)

2 Likes