Why the big push for DE? Old people

I’ve been giving this some thought, why Microsoft would re-master AoE? For those of us old people (age 60+) it’s nostalgic and quite flattering to think that old dogs (like me) can be re-entertained with a truly early epic game. Not sure many young people will be throwing down their addiction to the likes of Postal 2, God of War III and Soldier of Fortune for AoE DE. We can only hope. What say you?

@DiveDive3726 said:
I’ve been giving this some thought, why Microsoft would re-master AoE? For those of us old people (age 60+) it’s nostalgic and quite flattering to think that old dogs (like me) can be re-entertained with a truly early epic game. Not sure many young people will be throwing down their addiction to the likes of Postal 2, God of War III and Soldier of Fortune for AoE DE. We can only hope. What say you?

I actually think this game will do well with a young audience. First of all, it looks great. Secondly, building a city really appeals to children and the mechanics are such that a child can play a skirmish game or an adult can spend many hours mastering his skills in 1v1s. Finally, the game is simply fun, regardless of when it is released.

Also, because the game is rooted in history it has its own, external nostalgia. We feel nostalgia for our past, our ancestors, that transcends the game…and seeing our city transform as we go from one age to another makes us feel like witnesses of something bigger than ourselves.

I think if you give a child or anyone a game with a linear story, a shooting game for example, they may have fun for a week or a month…but people play AoE games for years because the game-play is so satisfying and it appeals to our desires to create, to build, to manage, to plan, to achieve and to conquer. If they can package and market AoEED correctly I don’t see why it shouldn’t bring in many new players.

I think it’s the E3 appetizer before the Gamescom main course.

@DiveDive3726 said:

Well, it will take some years before I am 30 yet. So I don’t know that you mean by young people. :stuck_out_tongue:
But if you mean the new gaming generation 6-12 years old. I hope it will be noticed and played. And I think it will. Seeing that there aren’t that much straight-forward RTS games anymore.
I myself have two younger brothers who know that I still play this game frequently. I’ve told them about the remastered version, and I am pretty sure that it will lead to some old-school LAN-parties again.

My daughter is three and very interested so far ^^

I’m 24 and it was pretty much my first PC game, so it’s very nostalgic to me.

@ComboCookie said:

im with you buddy xD … this was my first game ever, from win98 se, i played the demo, it made me crazy

@kylobeetle said:

@ComboCookie said:

im with you buddy xD … this was my first game ever, from win98 se, i played the demo, it made me crazy

Yes, been playing since windows 98 as well. Never understood why it wasn’t a basic windows game from xp and beyond. :stuck_out_tongue:
Not my first game though. Think it was DOOM. Still remember them old 3,5" disks where you have to put in the code and stuff to run it. I’m still impressed of my 5-year old self typing in that stuff to play games. :smiley:

@LegoVogel said:

@kylobeetle said:

@ComboCookie said:

Yes, been playing since windows 98 as well. Never understood why it wasn’t a basic windows game from xp and beyond. :stuck_out_tongue:
Not my first game though. Think it was DOOM. Still remember them old 3,5" disks where you have to put in the code and stuff to run it. I’m still impressed of my 5-year old self typing in that stuff to play games. :smiley:

in that case, do you find this familiar ? IDDQD, IDKFA? :smiley:

@kylobeetle said:

Yes! I still have this recurring nightmare about those codes not working while being killed. :stuck_out_tongue:

@LegoVogel said:

@kylobeetle said:

Yes! I still have this recurring nightmare about those codes not working while being killed. :stuck_out_tongue:

hahaha i cant believe i still can remember those codes… as you can see. i also played that game. i hope i can meet you in this game, and i hope this game gets a online system, with friends list and that stuff :3

@kylobeetle said:
hahaha i cant believe i still can remember those codes… as you can see. i also played that game. i hope i can meet you in this game, and i hope this game gets a online system, with friends list and that stuff :3

Yeah that kinda stuff you never forget. :smiley: And friendlist would be awesome, play some matches, bringing the world together by fighting each other online. :smile:
I also really like watching this guy’s YouTube channel. He has a lot of videos where he reviews old DOS and Windows games, and other pc stuff. It’s awesome.
He even has a review on AoE 1 and RoR :smiley:

Old Dogs (like me) still like to hunt!!! B)

My best guess is that reskinning and rebalancing the original game is a fairly inexpensive way to stoke the fires of this brand to buy time and maybe even add new fans while they work on a new heir to the crown.

I think it’s a pretty logical conclusion, especially in the context of MS having at least seven other releases in this franchise over the last five years.