Windows 7

Just curious but i was thinking of getting this game for a friend. He still uses windows 7 on his pc as it is what he knows. If i got him this game could he play it or would he have to upgrade to windows 10

I’m pretty sure Win10 is needed, unless some fan has created some patch to make it possible… but I wouldn’t risk it, personally.

Considering all the big updates that come out for AoE2:DE from the devs, I have a feeling their updates would eventually break any fan-made Win7 patches, imo. So the fan-made patch would then have to be updated to once again work on Win7, etc… like a vicious cycle :wink: Plus, who knows what else might break in the game.

It was publicized that Win10 would be needed long ago, sadly. Win7 was a perfectly fine OS from a user perspective, imo, but Microsoft stopped supporting it in January; so no more security updates unless your friend is paying for extended support.

Hopefully your friend will be able to update their OS soon or get a PC with Win10 already on it.

And if it’s any help, the Steam page for the game says Win10 is a minimum requirement (2nd bullet-point down):

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64x2 5600+

• Memory: 4 GB RAM

• Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 420 or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 6850 or Intel® HD Graphics 4000 or better with 2 GB VRAM

• DirectX: Version 11

• Network: Broadband Internet connection

• Storage: 30 GB available space

• Additional Notes: 2GB of video memory + 4GB of system memory required

RECOMMENDED:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system

• Processor: 2.4 Ghz i5 or greater or AMD equivalent

• Memory: 8 GB RAM

• Graphics: Nvidia® GTX 650 or AMD HD 5850 or better

• DirectX: Version 11

• Network: Broadband Internet connection

• Storage: 30 GB available space

1 Like

If Windows 7 is installed with a legal license (not using any kind of activator) your friend can still upgrade to Windows 10 using the in-place upgrade option of the Windows 10 media creation tool.

The direct download link for this tool.
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

1 Like