Wonky Attack Move

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 201.12.1840.0
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Attack Move seems to ignore buildings, make units stop in their tracks once enemy units enter their line of sight and if you try to circumvent it and Attack Move only when you already see an enemy, your units will kill it, then stop instead of going on their merry way

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Attack Move to somewhere you know enemies are hiding
  2. Watch as your units stop in their tracks once an enemy enters their line of sight
  3. Attack Move again
  4. Watch as your units stop in their tracks once the enemy is dead
  5. Attack Move again once you see an enemy building
  6. Watch as your units completely ignore it

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

If you order an Attack Move and an enemy unit and/or building enters your units’ line of sight, they should attack it, then resume to their destination

:arrow_forward: ACTUAL RESULT

If you order an Attack Move and an enemy unit enters your units’ line of sight, they stop in their tracks

5 Likes

Attack move is supposed to ignore buildings. It is essentially the “patrol” function from AoE2 but without the infinite loop. Attack move tells a unit to attack any other units on it encounters on its way to a destination.

1 Like

Attack Move does target buildings in AoE 2 and the other Age games; if it didn’t, it’d be kind of pointless. So does Patrol. When’s the last time you played AoE 2?

Ad hominems are not appropriate, my friend. We are all friends here; no need for snarkiness.

I’m not being snarky, I’m genuinely asking. Since Attack Move was also very buggy when AoE 1 and 2 DE first launched, it’s possible you could be out of loop and just assume it ignoring buildings is normal

Ignoring buildings is what makes it so great for actual fights. You don’t have to worry about your units sieging random houses instead of fighting.

Watch as your units stop in their tracks once the enemy is dead

Did they kill an enemy hero? There is a bug that units stop attacking and move towards “downed” hero units, that was present in the original game as well. That should be fixed for sure.

1 Like

They should prioritize units over buildings like in the other games, not ignore buildings entirely. That’s a bug. And no, there was no enemy hero in sight, they just stop whenever they’ve killed the first enemy group in sight, as if they’d reached their destination

. . . and the other Age games . . …

Taunt 2

Yep, attack-move is still as buggy as it was in the original game. I almost never use it as it’s simply too inconsistent.

Okay so Attack move in aoe3 never targets buildings as it doesn’t fit the game that well due to the torch animation for seiging. Imagine if a unit danced back and forth between a unit’s LOS and was able to stop a unit from both attacking and seiging. Attack move moves your units to a target location and attacks any units on the way. If you want to seige a building, click on it, or wait for your units to get to that location you selected. It’s not like there is going to be a castle that wipes out your units like in aoe2. ANYWAYS yeah attack move is super buggy it’s got to be fixed!

Ignoring building is for design but i agree that it is very inconsistent. Sometimes, units just don’t attack anything especially if you have multiple different units selected and use attack move

I’ve also seen this every time it’s used. What should be done is there should be a stance (Aggressive & Defensive) where if the units are in Defensive in the attack move they will only attack enemy units and defensive buildings (outposts, castles, etc) and when in aggressive they should attack everything. Right now if you attack move your units and buildings come into their line of sight they will stop dead and not even attack anything. It’s SUPER buggy and very annoying. Makes it difficult to multitask and you have to constantly micro your units so they don’t just stand around. That being said often my units won’t attack anything. They’ll just be standing around dawdling in the enemy base and won’t target anything. Needs serious work.

when i click move 5 time in a row then i do 1 attack move
the attack move some time not register

2 Likes