Would be awesome to add Weather and rotation to buildings?

The weather system was literally one of the noteworthy concept in Ancestors Legacy. Throughout the game the map would switch between Day and Night, and you would have to strategize your technique properly. Your unit field of view would be limited at night but you could choose to toggle torch as to increase their visibility, but that would also compromise their positions. And if the weather system wasn’t in your style, you could always choose to turn them it off during the match-setup.

Not to mention AL also had occassional rain and thunder during the gameplay before switching to morning hours and afternoon. I was hoping to see similar concepts being implemented in Age of Empires IV, but I guess we won’t be seeing that after 20 years of waiting for a new sequel.

I should also note that Ancestors Legacy allows you to zoom all the way in deep down to witness an actual combat animation between two enemy troops. But that’s a subject for another thread.

3 Likes

Been discussed a lot in the past already. Would be great. Then there is the controversial thing to worry about: does it affect gameplay, or not. (Like, mud or snow slowing down units.) There will never be agreement with everyone, as noted in past talks. My vote is to not affect gameplay with it

Man that sum up AoE 4 lol I am really dissapointed, there are many other useful but basic things they just ignored making it feels like a cheap game…

Some other RTS games tried to make weather more than just aesthetics, they failed. Miserably.

Which RTS games exactly.

You micro-manage a bunch of squads in this game, imagine having to do this in AOE with 200 pop upwards.

It’s not like you don’t move soldiers in group of people in Age of Empires either. There’s literally a group formation and commands in Age of Empires II, so not sure what your quick idea here is.

You are right, I didn’t think this through. You are able to rotate the camera anyway, so you have to remember the building from all perspectives nonetheless

COH1 has beautiful weather effects not affecting readability and game play.

COH1weather effects:

that lighting strike in a 1v1 at night map…love it. Even in COH2 they removed night maps and raining… I feel that over years developers quality to produce games is going down, this specially happens in RTS

Also look at those weapon details texture from a game in 2006, game that is using same engine that age IV…

2 Likes

Just gonna pop a little reminder here.

Dawn of War 1 was an RTS more similar to Age of Empires.

Dawn of War 2 was squad commanding RTS similar to Company of Heroes.

Be careful of the direction you steer a series in, lest you end up with Dawn of War 3…

(just to make it clear, dont veer off from your series’ identity like Dawn of War did)

That’s true but age of empires has 4 games… very difficult to please all of them, that’s why I don’t care that much about game play because that’s something you can tune over time, I care more about game presentation and the impress factor.

From my perspective, the fact it ran without a single issue was astounding to me. In modern games, I expect slowdowns in big moments and latency in online gameplay, just as is the nature of games “pushing the limits”. From my experience, none of that happened. It was near perfection in technical execution.

Say what you will about the graphics, but I’m happy with the package of decent graphics and phenominal gameplay experience.

1 Like

Since this can run on integrated graphics, I guess it will be released for Xbox later down the line.

I would like to see such things, think it wou:ld shine the most in scenario play, since in pvp matches usually don’t last long enough.

Rotating should be everywhere imo.

Weather is debateable, even though I am personally in favour of it but it would have to be done right, much like how Ancestors Legacy did it.

But there’s really no reason not to include building rotation.

1 Like

Having multiple accounts violates the rules.

day and night were very important for the wars in the Middle Ages. sometimes this has contributed to a victory or a defeat.

I would like a choice for this option.

3 Likes

no, the reason is simple.
They think about Competitive gameplay.
And even if it’s 3D. it’s much more easier to recognise building, if it has no rotation.

PS should not be in ranked, but should be option in the lobby, or in the settings.

He’s not a professional community manager. He’s a voluntary mod in a forum for all Age of empires games. His specific “allegiance” doesn’t have to lie with every one of them.

I haven’t seen him “thrash” the devs in any way that a lot of other people seem to be doing. Andy’s been very selective with their wording and has been very opposed to accusations of laziness and incompetence people seem to keep throwing at devs here.

I can understand that the flashy green banner might sway people’s views as that is the smallest sense of authority they could glean in this forum. But all it really indicates is that he’s a voluntary community mod.

They’ve also continually advocated for Relic to be more communicative to us on these forums. Who better to advocate for us than the mods?

Ultimately the likes of @AndyPXIII and @anon63664082 are really important for this community and they should be allowed to voice their own opinions.

You dont have to agree with them, but there are reasons not to include it.

1 Like