Would you like to see an Age of Empires Definitive Tournament?

The name says it all, here’s a poll.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13966394

I, myself, would love to see a tournament with a prize pool to promote Definitive Edition.

State your reason for choosing what you did below.

I would like to see a tourney / I cant play because ill die fast but I would donate to it .

How would you pick the players?

Picking players based on their elo rank isn’t gonna work well during the first few months, it is way too inaccurate at the begin.
Playing brackets with 1000+ players is going to take forever.

I would like to see one, but shortly after the release of the game it isn’t gonna be good. No one likes to watch games where you can clearly see the skill difference between players.

EDIT:
With 2048 players everyone would have to play 11-16 games in order to get to the final 32 player elimination bracket.
2048 should be huge enough amount of players to get all the best players in to the tournament.

I hope to see this happening.

@Blondie10111
Good to know, the more people interested or willing to donate means more tournaments with prize pools. Glad to know I’m not the only one who would donate.

@pate623
It really depends who hosts and organizes the tournament to how the tournament will be set up. There will be many casual players who would be interested in watching, like myself and @Bondie10111 who would be interested in watching but not necessarily participate.

I think players who have elo’s on Voobly or are known to be good in the community (some players use GameRanger) by the local community should have higher seeding than other players, especially if the tournament has many players. Maybe it’s better to start small? Then work your way up to big massive tournaments?

1000+ players is a bit unrealistic in my opinion. Not everyone is interested in a tournament and not everyone is interested in joining the tournament.

@Epd999 said:
@pate623
It really depends who hosts and organizes the tournament to how the tournament will be set up. There will be many casual players who would be interested in watching, like myself and @Bondie10111 who would be interested in watching but not necessarily participate.

I think players who have elo’s on Voobly or are known to be good in the community (some players use GameRanger) by the local community should have higher seeding than other players, especially if the tournament has many players. Maybe it’s better to start small? Then work your way up to big massive tournaments?

1000+ players is a bit unrealistic in my opinion. Not everyone is interested in a tournament and not everyone is interested in joining the tournament.

Picking players based on the performance in original AOE would be unfair for the new players and players who have played other similar games.

There could easily be hundreds or thousands players whose are interested playing competitive. it’s not that unrealistic to want to test your skills in much more competitive scene. It only takes few weekends to find out how good you really are.

@pate623
How would it be unfair? No one is likely going to become an expert player overnight, many of the current expert players have been playing for many years, which shows dedication among other things. There will be new players who rise up to expert and even surpass the current experts but probably not a month after release. It only took me a week to find out how bad I was compared to the intermediate players, there will be a few hidden gems lurking in the community but I don’t think (unless you have been playing other RTS games) you’ll find out that you have tournament level abilities in that short of time frame.

The tournament will probably be done after release and not before, so expert players would have a chance to play against other players and the will certainly be winning most of them.

This is all just speculation, I’m not sure we will have a tournament but I ■■■■ well hope so. What could happen is that the tournament could also demonstrate the skill levels of the previous expert players and how good you need to be to play at there level. Then the other tournaments could have more participants.

@Epd999 said:
How would it be unfair? No one is likely going to become an expert player overnight, many of the current expert players have been playing for many years, which shows dedication among other things.

For a totally new players; yes they would have no chance, but there is lot of retired players from SC2 and other RTS games. They could learn the game quickly.

If AOE:DE brings more than few small balance changes then it would be clean slate for all pro RTS players.
Looking at SC2 all players need to relearn most of the strategies when new expansion is released. Not everyone can do it. Same can happen to the old AOE players.

The tournament will probably be done after release and not before, so expert players would have a chance to play against other players and the will certainly be winning most of them.

What sort of tournament timing are you thinking?

My thought was that it would be made similarly to Quake champions made theirs.
Couple months after the game release the tournament qualifiers started. Everyone was able to participate in it.

Yes, a tournament will be good!

Only if the balance has changed. A good RTS match can be more entertaining than a movie, but horse (chariot?) archer spam would be pretty boring.

@TestableWharf54

Chariot Archers are strong but not OP like everyone says. Yes a unit that costs wood and food is OP but it can be countered. Generally a Tool Rush is more common that a Chariot Archer war.

But as to your question I hope so, DE will use Upatch, which is debatebly better. Something to understand about Upatch is it was balanced by Singleplayer players. There are some questionable changes but I’m sure not everything will be Chariot Archers, especially if players have civs without them (Like the Greeks).

The whole ‘known’ /not ‘known’ thing ultimately contributed to the demise of the originals player base as made the multiplayer scene a closed circle.

Given this I don’t think we should be starting off the new community by excluding people from tournaments. I hope the multiplayer system works like AOK currently where there are visible ELO’s and games are rated by default as I will quite often enter a nomad game in kings as a 1700+ with 1900’s and 1300’s and we always seem to be able to balance it whilst allowing poorer players to enjoy the game.

On your original point @Epd999 yeah a tournament will be great and I also agree that the Upatch looks questionable from a multiplayer perspective (no love for Carthage?)

@“Mystic Taboo”
True, I do think we should give players who are expert in those small circles higher seedings than other player who participate. We may well have a tournament that is set up how @“pate623” suggested, with 2048 players but I wouldn’t want an expert player playing against an expert player at that stage. Then again this is all speculation and we wont know until it’s announced (if it is) what the set up is and how many spots are open. If the tournament is limited to 128 players, then I would give spots to current players first then host open invites. Making probably 30 inter - expert players and 98 sign ups.

I’m certain that FE would discuss balance with current expert players and what there opinions are on Upatch. Carthage could be balanced by increasing Camel Rider HP as a bonus or adding Composite Bowman, they don’t need that much. But they are quite weak currently.

I had a cheeky theorycraft here https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/912/buffing-carthage#latest on how to make Carthage a bit better.

@Epd999 said:
True, I do think we should give players who are expert in those small circles higher seedings than other player who participate.

MMR is good enough to determinate the very best players. if you are Top 30 player you should have no problem of climbing up in rank.
Putting High MMR players against low MMR players ensures that there will be very few/none matches where top 30 players would fight against each others.

I’m certain that FE would discuss balance with current expert players and what there opinions are on Upatch. Carthage could be balanced by increasing Camel Rider HP as a bonus or adding Composite Bowman, they don’t need that much. But they are quite weak currently.

Camel bonuses are already Palmyras thing and Palmyra is otherwise very similar with Carthaginian.
Having Composite bowmen wouldn’t do much. You need something for earlier in bronze, also no Chain mail makes the composite bowmen worse option than with most other civs, but giving chain mail could make the Elephants too strong in iron age.

Most of this discussion was carried on on the “Buffing Carthage” thread. See here if you want to check it out.

Of the 53 players who voted on the poll so far…
23 (43%) have said “Yes, I would watch”
22 (42%) have said “Yes, I would participate”
6 (11%)are interested in it
And 2 (4%) have either said they are indifferent or that they don’t like the idea.

Thanks to everyone who has filled out the poll already. If you haven’t already done so be sure to do it soon. The more people who are interested the more likely it will become a reality.