Would you prefer empires spanning multiple eras or just a focus on one era in AoE IV?

I said Single Era because I don’t know what Multi would look like and keep it feeling like AoE. Someone else mentioned that with out melee units the game wont be AoE and I really agree with that. If it keeps becoming more and more modern I think it will lose the AoE feel.

Having a Medieval castle transform into a Victorian one (empire earth style) just feels a bit jarring. A round of AoE should not only advance you through some technology but also through a natural arc of “humble beginnings” to “sprawling infrastructure”. These must work in unison - you can’t just jump in technology from one type of sprawling infrastructure to the next. AoE4 should be careful capture a natural arc and not cover too much advancement.

I think single era with the chance to upgrade units which has been a staple for the Age of Empires series (Knight-Cavalier, Hoplite-Phalanx), would be a good idea. I think having Age of Empires 1 Expansions and updates can be a way to assuage the desire for older civ game play. I mean I have Rise of Nations so I would not prefer an extensive multiple era game.

There is no way to focus in one era, with AoE III ending in the 19th century the next era should have two world wars… airplanes, internet, nuclear and a little bit of the future… Because 2 centuries are not an era :smile: :smile:

2 centuries can be an era because the humanity discovered more thing after the 19th than than her 300 000 first years. But if they do one era, its probably after industrial revolution and i don’t like this periode, too much modern.

i think they should do medieval, but spice it up a little bit. a medieval mythology theme would be cool. with satantic beasts and dragons fighting vs knights. knights could be famous heroes from history. maybe knights of the round table too :slight_smile: so theres a lot of different type of knight heroes(kind of like in aom) knights with maces, or on horses, with different cool armors, for example elk armor, bear armor(with bear icon on the shield, and bear themed helmet) or dragon armor. i like the medieval theme, but fantasy medieval is a LOT cooler.
just take inspiration from berserk and game of thrones

Multiple eras, like previous games. I want an AoE game, not a CoH game.

Single era for sure. I don’t want it to turn into a race for gun powder units who would obviously dominate over ancient civs.

@PurttyLights said:
Single era for sure. I don’t want it to turn into a race for gun powder units who would obviously dominate over ancient civs.

Logically the game would continue from the end of AoE III, so the Industrial era and gunpowder weapons.

Single Era because if it was multiple, I would be playing a Sid Meier’s CIV or Rise of Nations( which is already a RTS) in a RTS setting.

@bubble said:
i think they should do medieval, but spice it up a little bit. a medieval mythology theme would be cool. with satantic beasts and dragons fighting vs knights. knights could be famous heroes from history. maybe knights of the round table too :slight_smile: so theres a lot of different type of knight heroes(kind of like in aom) knights with maces, or on horses, with different cool armors, for example elk armor, bear armor(with bear icon on the shield, and bear themed helmet) or dragon armor. i like the medieval theme, but fantasy medieval is a LOT cooler.
just take inspiration from berserk and game of thrones

That sounds more like Age of Mythology II not Age of Empires IV.

Whilst an AoE style game covering ancient-modern civilisations could be insanely wild, I feel like the safe option would be better. A period of 1800-modern day would be nice so there is still some real variance in timeline switches.

It should start in the age of empires 1 era and end in the age of empires 3 era.
Similar to how Rise of Nations works, except it shouldn’t go past the Age of Empires 3 timeline

It would be great to make AOE IV as a precise mix of the two great franchise successes: AOE I and AOE II, taking two of the most interesting periods in history, the old age and the middle age as if it were a single era .

• Stone age (includes: stone age + tool age) AOE I
  • Metal age (includes: bronze age + iron age) AOE I
  • Middle age (includes: high middle age + feudal age) AOE II
  • Imperial age (includes: castle ages + imperial age) AOE II

It is more than clear that the gameplay of the AOE II is the most comfortable, however it would be interesting to have returning civilizations like Romans, Egyptians, Greeks, Spartans … etc.

Not only is it important to maintain a good gameplay and good frame rate, it is also important to have a more lively environment (animation of oceans and vegetation, days and nights, rain and snow, better proportions of sizes between characters and buildings)

…We all love the mix between good gameplay + good graphics and realism. By the way the monks (wololo) and the music are perfect, DO NOT TOUCH THEM! xD

It should definitely be pre or aoe3 inclusive, preferably single era but if multiple eras has enough detail It can work.

@XXSoulBreaker said:
It would be great to make AOE IV as a precise mix of the two great franchise successes: AOE I and AOE II, taking two of the most interesting periods in history, the old age and the middle age as if it were a single era .

It is more than clear that the gameplay of the AOE II is the most comfortable, however it would be interesting to have returning civilizations like Romans, Egyptians, Greeks, Spartans … etc.

Not only is it important to maintain a good gameplay and good frame rate, it is also important to have a more lively environment (animation of oceans and vegetation, days and nights, rain and snow, better proportions of sizes between characters and buildings)

…We all love the mix between good gameplay + good graphics and realism. By the way the monks (wololo) and the music are perfect, DO NOT TOUCH THEM! xD

Not going to lie, that sounds very appealing. I would totally be happy with this timeline.

@XXSoulBreaker said:

@XXSoulBreaker said:

@XXSoulBreaker said:

Like Empire Earth?

So id have to say since i’m a AOE 2 fan, just mixing the two AOE1 and 2 together, id like to see what the civilizations would be like if they made it to imperial age maybe or at least have a place where i can play the Spartans :slight_smile:

i would like to see multiple eras but only if it can be done in such a way so that units become more powerful but also so there isn’t a core focus on ageing up as often as possible because if you blitz through the ages you won’t be able to stop and enjoy a certain age, the other thing you could do is have multiple eras but only play in a certain one IE: if you wanted to you could play the first AOE games era and if you wanted to you could switch to playing AOE3’s era in a different match

Multiple eras would be fun while they’re all together at the same time.