WTH with Gatling Gun?

esse foi o modo que perdi o jogo era 3v3 meus aliados eram terríveis mais acabei pegando esse jogador dos estados unidos 1v1 e acabei perdendo todo exército mesmo com minha economia boa e ja sabia que iria perder de qualquer maneira

I’m sorry but if you lose to someone who makes 15 gatling guns and nothing else than you’re quite bad and need to improve, whether that is 1v1 or 3v3. It’s easily countered. There’s no way 50 arrow knights should lose to 20 gatlings either, you considerably out range gatling guns with arrow knights.

1 Like

Will say that I have been using Gatling guns and facing off against them and they are definitely improved, I don’t know when they were buffed but they perform much better now. Personally I think their damage to buildings definitely needs to be lowered.

They haven’t been buffed. Just tested myself and the gatling does significantly less damage to buildings than a falconet in the same amount of time, coffee mill guns also has a negligible effect.

1 Like

in team games its defintiely not nothing else, but because 1 person goes gatling guns, the other players can focus on just making hard counters to the gatling gun counters and just trade against the counters and the gatling guns takes care of the rest.

You build the army around that effectively and its pretty all or nothing

2 Likes

I used to think that Gatlings guns were just a very poweful unit with a specific counter (culvs). Now, after 50 or 60 team games played in the casual lobby (where noobs, half noobs, and non-noobs converge), i can honestly say, with the burden of proof, that they are just op in team games. They slay everything at range, nothing can even become close to them without being instantly melted, and if properly defended, they are unbeatable. Against them you not only need to make culvs, but you have to micro them very well too so they shoot every one of them, and not every other unit, all of that while microing your own mass or infantry and/or cavalry to defend your culvs. On top of that, your culvs become useless after you dont have any other gatlings to target. On the other hand, gatlings need almost no micro, and are useful against everything, even buildings.

Some guy tried to compare gatlings to organ guns, but he is mistaken. Organ guns only work against heavy infantry, they are mediocre against buildings, and do shit against cav or light infantry. Gatlings kill everything.

You can see that gatlings is op when you see an increasing popularity of the civ on team games, where there’s always 1 or two players using the civ only to.make a quick mass of gatlings.

I think the best solution for this would be an -at least- 0.5 negative multiplier against cav.

6 Likes

And i wish to say more. If we don’t see more people complaining about gatlings, it’s because its chosen mostly by noobs, because it’s an investment that requires little effort with huge returns, and too lame to be chosen by people who know how to play this game. Gatling guns are one of the few examples where a noob can give a much better player a real headache. Probably the noob/lamer USA player will lose in the end, but it shouldn’t be so troublesome for the better play to win in the end.

1 Like

In particular, the only nerf I would propose for the gatlings guns is that shipment of 3,2 and 1 gatlings simultaneously will change their arrival order for 2,3 and 1 gatlings. What does this mean? Basically that your first shipment of gatlings will necessarily be 2, and then you can resend the shipment and receive 3 as it was originally. This is just to nerf US FF, which can be extremely abusive, especially vs civs without immediate artillery or able to Rush strong enough to delay US FF.

When I say immediate artillery, I mean that when going up to Fortress age, it is unable to immediately take out falconets or culverins, for example Haudenosaunees, Hausas and Ethiopians.

1 Like

I think that they should be weaker against buildings and I am not one to cry for nerfs as you know. Mostly they are difficult as mentioned above in team games in age 3 - age 4 when their allies just surround them with cover units and your allies barely build any artillery and culiverns or wait till it is to late. Late game like in treaty they are not as much of a problem.

I am actually very happy if noobs goes gatling (that happens a lot). They tend to make nothing but gatling and they use gatlings vs everything and think they can win. But usually end up with easy win for me. It is not much different from other artillery spammer in lobby games. Usually making culverin will kill them fast because noobs dont micro each artillery, they are clumped up and area damage of culverin kill those things even faster. My main civ is chinese so i make hand mortar, with same effect as culverin. Gatlings just melt so fast.

1 Like

China seats the united states regardless, hand mortars are more effective than culverins because you can make a good bulk and you also have 3 age shipments. I would say you have chosen the right civilization well done friend.

1 Like

Chinese hand mortar is actually very clunky to use, they bump into each other and moves very slowly. Culverin is better.

What about moving Coffee Mill Guns to the Industrial Age and maybe even having a cost?

1 Like

It isn’t just a team game thing. I never play team games, there are gatling spammers in 1v1 ranked (which is all I ever play). The “just git good noob” argument isn’t much of an argument based in logic or balance. It is actually nonsensical. The game is supposed to be able to be played and enjoyed by people of any ELO. People have different APMs, that won’t ever change. People with high APM don’t understand that others genetically cannot have the same APMs, but they still want to be able to play and have fun. I still have not heard one reason why gatling shouldn’t have large negative multipliers versus buildings and cav. You can still mow down infantry faster than any other unit except maybe urumi but why does it have to be cav and buildings as well?

well, historically those gathlings could kill cavalry

They have negative multipliers vs cavalry and buildings, same as the organ gun. They do half damage to cavalry. As I said before as well test it yourself and you’ll see gatlings do less damage to buildings in the same amount of time compared to falconets and coffee mill guns has a tiny negligible effect on this.

I wish instead of the constant whining you guys would just go into a game with a friend and test it yourself, vs buildings and units with and without coffee mill guns and compare it to a falconet.

Feel free to post your recs in here where you lose to mass gatlings so I can see this for myself.

2 Likes

Do you have any games registered where you do the gatling strategy? I need to study it.

it’s not a valid argument or reason to nerf gatlings, it’s not my problem if people don’t have enough apm or don’t have the mechanics to make culv or push the opponent before he make 20 gatling ( the opponent shouldn’t even be able to do more than 5 gatling at the highest levels of the game), it’s not my problem if people don’t know how to counter ruyters, it’s not my problem if people don’t know how to attack shrines before 20 min, all this to say that the fun of people at 1300 elo is not an argument for the balance of the game (be careful, I offend no one and this is not my intention), what I mean is that there is a reason to why a player is at 1300 elo or 1400 or 1600 or even 1700, it is because the player do not know the mu and don’t have enough knowledge of the game to know at what timing he should push or age or greed or raid etc, if the player are at this elo it is not because of the balance, it’s just because of the player nothing else, like i am confident to say the 1300 elo player can play the most broken strat in the game and i take the lowest civ in the game and im pretty sure i win the game and it’s not because of the strat or the unit or whatever, it’s because of the player
So speaking on balance it’s clearly not a reason to nerf gatling because player at this elo don’t take " pleasure ", it’s because player at the llowest elo clearly don’t know how to beat that but i can assure you, it’s easy for me to defeat gatling

Now there is someone can give me a rec of 1900 elo player or even more on someone doing 15 gatling with that famous card everyone talks about ?

4 Likes

Well said, also it has nothing to do with gatlings themselves, the same players would lose if someone massed 10 falcs instead of 15 gatlings.

1 Like

Just increasing their pop by 1 would be sufficient. They’re only a problem at a critical mass and with 20% fewer than now it would be much harder to maintain that mass.

Other than that, the rolling artillery card is way too much and needs to be only infinite 2 Gatling Guns.