Presently, the Elite Genoese Crossbowman is outranged by even a lowly skirmisher. Even a standard crossbowman has the same range as a standard and elite skirmisher. The extra range of the standard crossbowman is also important for harassing woodlines and sniping villagers.
All other unique archer units have at least five range:
Genoese 50hp, 1/0 armor, 4 range
Plumed 65hp, 0/2 armor, 5 range
Rattan 45hp, 0/6 armor, 5 range
Longbowman 40hp, 0/1 armor, 7 range
Yes, the Genoese have bonus against cavalry. But if the opponent is heavy cav, it is cheaper to tech into Halberdier and have trash production from barracks rather than pay for the elite Genoese upgrade.
The advantages of going with Arbelesters over Elite Genoese is:
- Total upgrade cost is lower
- Don’t need castles to produce
- Can amass army in earlier ages
- Can produce skirmishers from same buildings if facing archer civ
- Can produce hand cannoneers (20% discount) from same buildings if facing infantry
So, why not make make the Elite Genoese have at least 5 range?