10 Reasons AoE2:DE is so bad

This game is pretty fun… I’ve been playing it a lot. I’m glad they’re doing updates. Yes, things get broke sometimes, but at least they’re focusing on it and trying to make some changes for the better. The AOK gameplay has always appealed to me over all other RTS games. No other game on the market is as good at doing what AOE II DE does.

8 Likes

Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition is fine! It’s way better than warcraft 3 deforged

6 Likes

Certainly the crashes are annoying but they would happen in any game version, DE uses same engine aka source code but it loads 100 times heavier files so unless they allow multi threading or multi core the code has its limits, despite the game version.

The performance has improved a lot compared to what it was in beta version and first release, in fact game is playable for 1x1 with a non gaming pc what do i mean with that, a potato pc with integrated GPU from intel and thermal limited cpu’s from laptops or all in one desktops, if they can play a 2019 game with that its not that bad, what is bad is folks with their 10 years old pc with 4 gbs of ram trying to play the game 100 times heavier than the original. I mean it’s common sense if all the textures and the animations have multiplied their size you need a stronger hardware for that.

Match making for team games can’t work properly with such small community or active player base, yes they need to work on that and fix a solution that suits the majority.

1x1 are way better than 1x1 in voobly/hd/game ranger, faster unit response, they have succeeded with that and i am happy with it, the old game can’t improve with p2p based multiplayer, which means its less attractive for competitive players, a normal game in voobly with an aussie player and one south american the latency is beyond 400 close to 500, for any other competitive game that is unacceptable, we the aoe 2 players have been used to play high latency games for years, even the players have adapted to the delay, in that matter the old game is quite dead for current competitive multiplayer games.

The game is not a failure overall but it needs to improve in some areas, you should move on or stay in voobly, no one is preventing you to stop playing there, in fact you are saying that there are more players there, why are you here according to your own logic.

This game is not a grab cash, i finished all the campaigns just to get the achievements i hated them because they were made to last a lot, but i have to acknowledge all their work there, with the graphics and with the server based game, for what it offers it was a very cheap game.

6 Likes

I’m so agree, let’s go to play Blizzard’s Warcraft III: Reforge? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Buying warcraft 3 deforged is a waste of money. Buy the game and see if you will be satisfied lol…

2 Likes

AOE 2 Definitive Edition is better

4 Likes

I would not be so harsh. Some things are good some not.

I appreciate campaigns, new civs, new graphic, trying to balance the game.

On the other hand I am disappointed by new hotfixes and updates that bring new useless things (filters, autoscouting) while not solving old problems (bugs, disconnects and crashes, pathfinding - melee units especially). If AoE2 was not my most favourite game since its release I would buy it in some sales.

2 Likes

alright, its cute when you say " aoe2de is better than wc3r " on wc3r youtube videos or forums, but when you use the same sentence as an excuse for the devs when we are criticizing aoe2de’s unsolved problems, it just becomes annoying
yes sure fallout67 was a slap in the face for the action role-playing genre, but is it an excuse for other game developers to dont fix their action role-playing games?
yes aoe2de is 10 times better than wc3r, no i dont agree with how harsh is @Skillmund is pointing at the devs. but he has some good points.yes it is absolutely unfair to say “the only right thing the devs did in aoe2de was the tech queue”, but its coming out from a frustration, and the frustration is caused by some unsolved bugs and annoying stuffs and game crashes which was in the game from the day 1 and it still exists, it did get improved, but its still in the game. so ofc people will get mad when they add a dumb filter into the game that doesnt even let you type " wtf ". so thats why we need threads like this to remind them what are the real priorities.

5 Likes

For once you’re actually being helpful :rofl:

Just got the game last week. I played 5 or 6 games in ranked. Once I won because my opponent disconnected, and one game was laggy. Also, I watcha ram become invisible a few times.

I think devs should only focus in this type of issues, and in balance. Nothing else should matter. Not events, challenges or new functions

4 Likes

lol but that’s like saying “gta V is better than Tetris - now you have a narrative, good graphics, physics etc.”. Gotta have higher standards man ! As much as I love AOE2:DE I have to admit it has a lot of flaws, and I hope they get addressed soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe he is saying the game part stops, not that the app crashes.

1 Like

AoE2 has bugs, performance, stability issues, pathfinding problems, etc, but those are getting fixed over time.

Besides those issues AoE2 DE is the best version of the best game ever (and those issues are unsurprising when it’s a remaster of a 20 year old engine) … and those issues will go away.

AoE2 DE will be the best RTS on the planet … if it isn’t already.

As long as autoqueue isn’t added.

4 Likes

I would say that it isn’t that bad but it really has some MAJOR issues that a released game shouldn’t have and are being ignored by the @devs and instead, the attention has been shifted somewhere else, like the profanity filter or events that require another game to be completed (???) and doesn’t work if you acquired the other game in their own company store.

1 Like

If you don’t like it don’t play it. Simple you think?

So, you’re saying that people that id good and understand the game better would ruin the game? Wtf?

1 Like

that is unfortunately terrible short sighted logic… “If you don’t like it don’t play it”

whenever someone says this about any game, it is clear they arent thinking about the broader picture, imagine any dev anywhere said that about their game?

it needs to appeal to a demographic to make money,the larger the variety it appeals to, the more money and thus the higher the likelihood of continued support and expansions… but yeah lets use your logic instead :wink:

1 Like

Yup, that’s exactly what i did. Refund window is gone tho - so i might aswell rant here from time to time.

Competitive and casual players have two different ideas of what makes a game fun. Casual players form the bulk of the playerbase while competitive players make big long posts complaining to the devs about why their game isn’t fair enough. OP complained about new content hurting his chances to win because he has to memorize new civ bonuses. Show me the casual player who is upset that new content got added to the game.

4 Likes

Hmmmm… yes and no. It depends entirely on what you classify a ‘casual’ player as.

The beauty of AoE2 has been that it largely has been more like chess and less like Candyland. With some of the balance changes and ranked play changes, the game is headed toward Candyland and not Chess. Now, before everyone gets upset at this allegory, let me explain.

Chess: a highly balanced game that is fun for both a casual player AND a competitive player. This is because it provides a source of strategy that is not dependent in any way on luck of the draw.

Candyland: a highly luck-based game that is fun, but only promotes casual play due to the lack of strategy.

A good game would always aim to be as close to the ‘Chess’ on the Chess - Candyland spectrum. For whatever reason (driving sales, boredom, listening to the wrong feedback) the developers continue to pick options that slide closer and closer to the Candyland side of the spectrum.

The best way to combat this? Make matches more even. Whether that’s fixing the team game side of ranked play, not over-buffing civs (looking at the Goth and even the Khmer change here), fixing maps so that they are generated more fairly, changing ranked play to Random civ only so that the player has to adapt and cannot use a canned strategy, fixing melee unit pathing (or at least righting it to Userpatch wherein an archer driven civ doesn’t have some ambiguous advantage over a melee driven civ)… there have been a ton of suggestions on how to make the game more strategic and less luck driven. BUT THE DEVELOPERS CONTINUE TO CHOOSE PATHS THAT MAKE LUCK A HUGE FACTOR. I’m sorry for the all caps, but I don’t know how else to make it clear at this point. They clearly are not listening to posts that make this point as of yet.

2 Likes