10 Reasons AoE2:DE is so bad

I don’t have a potato:

I5 9400F
Gtx 970 4GB
8GB DDR4 2600 Mhz

Still get heavy stutters when there are a lot of trees in the view with HD Graphics pack.

I’ve add the game on “NOT RECOMMENDED” on steam until they fix this 110+ days old bug:

2 Likes

Cringe worthy post, refund and stick to the aoe 2 from 1999, or just report the issues and wait for fix, you can’t pretend that a game with a 20 years ago engine works like a charm with 0 bugs, the game doesn’t even have 6 months of life.

1 Like

The game is lovely but it needs to be optimised way better so that loading and moving from one game mode, SP to editor etc is smoother without lag.

I’m not trying to be negative Nancy here, I like most of the stuff in aoe2:de, I bought it, and I certainly don’t agree with a criticism like “too may civs”, I love many civs. I do not fully support and endorse the opening post in this tread. I just also don’t want to be positive Pat either. Because, to be completely fair, this is already the second remaster of this game and counting the expansions the sixth part of the game a day one player had to pay for. And “not even six months of life”? When the original version was released a game had to work on release. Sure, they fixed a few things in The Conquerors, but that was the one shot they got. The game wasn’t perfect, but nobody got to attribute that to “it’s only been six months since I bought this CD-ROM, it might still fix itself”. Plus several issues that persist in the current version were already fixed in user made patched, which I’m sure are available to the developers if they ask nicely and maybe pay a little money towards something or other. So I don’t feel like this timeline is a ground for objection to legitimate complaints. If things don’t work on day one, fine. If things don’t work after twenty years, five mayor updates, numerous smaller patches and lots of great input from volunteers, maybe there is something to be said for getting them fixed sooner rather than later. (Or plain giving up on them because clearly it’s too difficult.)

2 Likes

Interesting post to read. Especially about pros being forced over. I just recently rediscovered AoE, I own all the original games from the past and to claim that AOK (yes AoK, what is AOC i’m not really sure???) is overall a better game is for me ■■■■■■■■. Yes the game was more stable but keep in mind this is a game based on AoK but with a new engine. Name one game today that works from the start without patching??? Also name one game that cost only 20€ and invests in monthly updates and fixes ( not counting early access and adds financed or micro transaction based games.) I for sure cannot name one. Also seems as top ranked players active on youtube like Viper enjoys himself just fine. Sure stability is not perfect but it is worked on and that for me is fine. I love the game!

2 Likes

I really don’t understand the kind of people who compain about variety of civs. To me and I think most would agree, increased content is what gives games replay value, that is games in any genre. I watch competitive pro gamers also play this and I haven’t heard any of them complain about this and most are experimenting with new civs and strats to this day which shows they like at least some of the new content. I will never be a pro, but I know I will never get bored of AOE2 because the fact that I am only familiar with a handful of civs means if I ever get bored of playing them I know i can come back to a fresh experience by choosing a new civ to play with and that I can keep doing this for the foreseaable future without running out of new things to experience in this game. To me NO other game has given me the amount of replayability AOE2 has over the years.

4 Likes

AoK is the first release of AoE2 (1999) while AoC (Age of Conquerors) is the first expansion (and the only one until 2012) Absolutely no one misses AoK since the balance was a bit off, and all additions from AoC are so good you just can’t go back.

3 Likes

They did say that the “variety of civs” would be fine if other issues were fixed. Also sure, the game has many updates, but it’s entirely legitimate to wonder how Voobly can do better on some aspects for free, and what is preventing FE from doing the same.

1 Like

Don’t forget units attacking closest target vs the target you right clicked on

2 Likes

Of course it is! Stupid of me. At that time I never played MP, well maybe at one or two LAN parties. So my experience from AoC is only single player. I just bought HD around summer last year and started to play against AI and some friends. To me DE is a huge improvement from HD. As a beta insider I was sceptical because the game ran really poorly in beta but now it is an amazing game. Sure some crashes occur but not so frequent after last patch.

I didn’t like the original very much, always just 100 paladins vs 100 paladins. Now it’s much better balanced.

The devs did a great job, there is no better game out there.

That said, there is still a lot of work to be done.

Somewhat off-topic, but I’d really like to know why so many people refer to the first expansion as ‘Age of Conquerors’. It can’t be that they actually think that’s what the title was (because it blatantly wasn’t), so there must be some other reason… but I just can’t figure out what it is!

On-topic, I’ve personally found DE to be more stable and run more smoothly than any previous version of the game (including playing the original in LAN) - but I can understand how frustrating it would be if that wasn’t the case, as it isn’t for the OP.

Likely because “The Age of King: The Conquerors” is a bit long

1 Like

All I want is to play Arabia map only. Why do they force a map pool on us? Can we just choose Arabia map and queue up… Please??

4 Likes

Thank god no. Much more interesting now that people playing more than 1 map.

2 Likes

@Hardform Imagine being so self centered that you want to ignore majority player preference and force everyone into your own views of what is enjoyable. There can be a system that pleases both.

2 Likes

To me it’s more about diversity of the game. The naval units aren’t there just for the hell of it. People just playing arabia and bf only will never use them and makes it pointless to have those units in the game. But that wasn’t surely intended to be. Now it’s working so every map style gets love which is a good thing.

1 Like

You only listen to house music? Wake up Hardform this is about diversity, Rnb music isn’t just here for the fun of it. People just listening to house music will never hear Rnb so it makes it pointless to have that genre in the world. Surely that wasn’t intended to be. Now it’s working so every genre gets forced down everyones throat, which is a good thing.

1 Like

The heck you rambling about. I barely listen to house, too slow for my taste. Freeform is more my taste. Anyways, I listen to many kinds of music, though gotta admit rap and rnb surely aint my favorites. :joy: and those are 2 completely different things too. This game was created by 1 entity. Music as a whole is not. And neglecting one (imo crucial) aspect of the game is nonsensical. It’s more like people are playing land only maps simply cause they cannot handle it, which I see as weak and as the ranked games are supposed to portray whos good in the game in general and whos not, I’m happy it’s forcing people tp show their skills all around. The game is not just arabia and never was. Also I’m quite confident this is never going to change back to the worse so, gg.

1 Like