20 years on and this is the best they have to offer?

the title says it all really, trying to fleece money out of a 20 year old game, wheres age of empires 4, or was age of empires online the final nail in the coffing after the disaster launch of that game

We need this and an AOE4, maybe 2018 will be the year of AOE 4 and Supreme Commander 3

I have wanted this for easily the last 10 years so I am excited to play AOE:ROR on my modern system.

but considering Ensemble Studios was shut down, I don’t think we will see an AOE4, especially after AOE3 was such a disappointment.

I have previously expressed views that are similar. I would rather have had an announcement for a new game.

While I somewhat identify with the sentiment, I do recognize that a lot of work has gone into this project. Looking at the trailer, it would seem that they have heavily modified the engine, and have recently hired talented developers to lead the work on it.

I’m hopeful this will be a better product that AoM: EE, and possibly better than Aoe2:HD.

Also, a lot of people were begging for this.

As I said, I was more in your boat before this announcement. I’m kind of surprised at how excited I am.

Listen to the announcement interview on the pc game show… they hint at more announcements coming in August… Perhaps there will be something new then.

Fingers crossed.

I actually like the artstyle, it kinda reminds me of 90s, simple, easy to get into but only pretier graphics and (hopefully) better gameplay.
If they improve the gameplay, I don’'t see why this shouldn’t be good, looks WAAAY BETTER than AOE 3 though…

If you watch the PCGamer conference they first talked about this game, Microsoft clearly has “more things we’d like to hear” about Age of Empires at Gamescon. Maybe that’s a new game!

@Stephen_81 said:
… especially after AOE3 was such a disappointment.

Was it really? Spent a good deal of time with it myself, along with my siblings and a number of friends. I enjoyed it after I got used to the home city mechanics but I also like that period of history, so that may color my view. They also released two expansion packs, so I wouldn’t think it did terribly. : / Didn’t come close to displacing 2 for me though.

aoe/ror needs upgrade graphic for new generations to play with us. I think this is great move by them!

AOE1 was popular and set the stage for most of the RTS genre including AOE2. I bet that an AOE4 isn’t necessarily off the table, especially if AOE:DE sells well. Remasters are FAR cheaper to make than all new games, so more likely than not, this is Microsoft testing the waters.

They also said they will be announcing something new at gamescon so there is still hope!

TBF this is what M$ is all about with this legavy, minimum effort maximize milking.
I doubt they would make a new game that would be too much effort.

@Dorinm89 said:
They also said they will be announcing something new at gamescon so there is still hope!

another xpac for AOE 2 and an xpac for RoN.
Both are in the works.

chances of age 4 are slim to none, after the disaster of age of empires online when it launched, it never recovered. as others have said, they are just milking money from a 20 year old game, which shockingly they will again charge people to buy it again 20 years on with a few tweaks in graphics ere and there,

is that the best microsoft can come up with these days?

@smitske said:
TBF this is what M$ is all about with this legavy, minimum effort maximize milking.

@Dorinm89 said:

Both are in the works.

source for RoN dlc?

I like how they stay true to the original style and not doing a complete remake.

@tempires said:

@smitske said:

@Dorinm89 said:

Both are in the works.

source for RoN dlc?

https://steamdb.info/app/287450/history/

This is the update history on steamDB, you can see they have been working on the game over the last few months and have different versions. Working can also be butchering it since skybox labs incompetent is in charge.

@smitske said:

@tempires said:

@smitske said:

@Dorinm89 said:

Both are in the works.

source for RoN dlc?

https://steamdb.info/app/287450/history/

This is the update history on steamDB, you can see they have been working on the game over the last few months and have different versions. Working can also be butchering it since skybox labs incompetent is in charge.

ok i checked that page too but i was looking for dlc tab(like aoe2:HD has) as those changes look more like base game changes than new content. I highly doubt that they would do much for base game without making dlc though

They usually dont add that tab until its done.

I like this remake, it reminds me of my childhood but I also want an aoe4, hopefully soon.

You have to remember that Microsoft axed Ensemble studios after aoeiii. There probably were plans for aoeiv that never came to light.

Imo, the fact that we’re getting anything at all is a pleasant surprise. The RTS genre is pretty stagnant nowadays.

Gamescom