A boring thing that bothers me and the game icon because it has to be a samurai helmet ? Why not just the game logo?

It would make more sense the icon of the game being to a musket or the series emblem,This is just a useless post

5 Likes

Because the icon for Age of Empires was a helmet, and the one for The Age of Kings was also a helmet, and it just became a tradition for the icons to be helmets or at least some other kind of hat. The Asian Dynasties, Age of Empires III’s last expansion, used the samurai helmet because of how recognisable it is; it immediately evokes feelings of premodern Japan, and Japan probably evokes feelings of Asia in general.

I myself would have appreciated something a little different for the Definitive Edition, like something that the Incas wore, but I’m fine either way.

8 Likes

Except Japan wasn’t in the original game.

8 Likes

I agree with Op. Age of Empires Collection Edition İcon is cooler than this icon.

1 Like

Aoe vanilla musketeer capess best aoe 3. Recommend that iconic icon

1 Like

As a Tricorn wearing aficionado, the Kabuto helmet of DE beats Tricorns in style, by a wide margin.
The only things that could compare, would be a Black Rider helmet, or a Persian Divsar helmet.

Yes but that helmet could as well be used for a medieval game liek aoe 2 as it is an ancient samurai Helm. Something for colonialism specific would be better in my opinion for age 3

1 Like

It is a striking element of the Sengoku Jidai, which was the first truly Modern war in East Asia, even though it was a Civil War.
That is what this game is about, the Modern Period, not Colonialism. The devs are slowly, but steadily, moving away from Colonialism, as it is too narrow a subject to make a good RTS game on.

1 Like

Its really easy to change the icon on your desktop. Just right click it, properties, change icon, browse to your aoe3 de directory and select the aoe 3 de exe file click ‘open’, then ok. It will change to III

I love everything about aoe3 de except the civ Japan/sweden which disgust me, so I changed the icon as well.

3 Likes

AoE3 had a Tricorne.
AoE3 TWC had a stone arrow head.
AoE3 TAD had the Kabuto helmet.

They didn’t want to choose the European headwear because they didn’t want the game to be seen as a Colonialist game (which it still is) but as a more cultural diverse one.
The Stone Arrow head just feels dated and makes it look like a Stone Age game so the Japanese Sengoku period helmet is a good choice.

Which is silly, because using a Kabuto helmets still represents only one culture, Feudal Japan.

5 Likes

Imagine being offended by a tricorn hat.

The hat is so offensive it makes me shake and break down into tears. Those… sobs Europeans… screeching and bawling

3 Likes

What was originally a musketeer hat later became a Japanese samurai hat.
Therefore, after the next DLC is sold, it will become the hat of the African warrior.

4 Likes