A few ways to improve the scenario editor

Oh wow, that’s interesting, so u have to input the old file name. I think the new soundfiles located in AoE2DE/wwise are somehow linked to the names of the old soundfiles. Figuring out how it’s done, is the next step. Then i could get custom soundfiles to play in scenarios :D.

I’m literally trying to get custom sound files to work right now aswell since a few hours back, asked for help on the AoE discord but didn’t get much help there.

I took a look at the E3 scenario and seeing how they played sound files in the dialogue messages there, they’re written as things like “Play_E3_17”, “Play_E3_12”, “PLAY_WONDER_DESTROYED” etc, which I assume are Sound Events - but I have no clue where these sound events are even defined…

And if they’re all defined in one single file this would be really bad if it’s the only way to do custom sound files, as every custom scenario would need to provide their own file with modified sound event lines, meaning you’d need to exit the game after finishing every scenario with custom sounds and replace the sound events file with the next scenario’s file that you want to play

Really counter intuitive and counter productive for scenario makers in general, I dunno who thought this change was a good idea, ESPECIALLY when they don’t even provide any sign of actual documentation or information on how to use this ■■■■ feature.

I even tried chucking the sound files like the good old way into the “sounds/scenario” folder and putting in the full file path to the sound files among a bunch of similar ways, none of them works which is really disappointing.
One of the bigger reasons I bought this is because of the scenario editor improvements, and finding out that using custom sound files to create immersive scenarios is this complicated REALLY puts me off

2 Likes

Nice, you had the exact same line of thought as I had. Including this:

I even tried chucking the sound files like the good old way into the “sounds/scenario” folder and putting in the full file path to the sound files among a bunch of similar ways, none of them works which is really disappointing.

Keep us updated, if you find the file(s) which define the sound events!

Custom wem files do not need the “Play_” prefix.
If correctly converted from wav, you just need to type the file name into the respective text field.
Please note that this currently only works for Display Instructions, Play Sound is currently not working, except for some generic sounds we added. Feel free to use them in your works:

Play_Scenario_Death_Scream_Horseman
Play_Scenario_Shipwreck
Play_Scenario_Wind_1
Play_Scenario_Explosion_Small
Play_Scenario_Death_Scream
Play_Scenario_Waves
Play_Scenario_Wind_2
Play_Scenario_Jaguars
Play_Scenario_Bridge_Explosion
Play_Scenario_Horde
Play_Scenario_Wolves

2 Likes

But into which directory do converted .wem files go?

I’ve tried straight into the wwise directory in the root folder of the game, tried resources/_common/sound/ and sound/scenario, also tried (my PC user)/Games/Age of Empires 2 DE/(my Steam ID)/resources/_common/sound and _common/wwise with no results

I’ve gone through the WWise quick guide to working with events in the program and added a Play event to a single imported sound file that I converted to .wem, that I then tried placing into any of those above directories to no effect, I also tried to convert an imported .wav file into a .wem file without adding any events to it, also to the same lack of results

You have to store them in
\resources_common\drs\sounds

Doesn’t appear to work unfortunately, .wav file was converted to .wem with the Vorbis high quality project settings and everything as per the video below, .wem file was renamed to custom_sound_test.wem after conversion and placed into “resources/_common/drs/sounds”, in a scenario I’ve triggered a Display Instructions and typed “custom_sound_test” into the sound file field

Is it possible that it only works properly if you place it into a local mod folder that the scenario will also eventually be placed in?
For quickness and ease of testing I’ve just been attempting to place it straight into the game a la the olden days of putting sound files into the sound folders

Edit: I can confirm you do indeed need to put your sound files into a local mod and they’ll work no problem, finally managed to figure it out.

For anyone else wondering, use the guide in the video in this post to convert .wav files to .wem, then place the .wem file in a new folder withiin your local mods folder, while maintaining the folder structures BassiAoC described

for example
(your PC user folder)/Games/Age of Empires 2 DE/(your user ID number)/mods/local/your custom mod folder/resources/_common/drs/sounds/soundfile.wem

In the scenario editor, input the name of your .wem sound file into the Sound (Event) Name field, without adding the file extension or anything else to it, for example if you named your .wem “soundfile.wem” you would just type soundfile in the trigger effect

Looking at the way WWise works, it looks like you may ultimately be able to contain multiple sounds in a single .wem file and use WWise Play events to define how to play each sound separately when needed

4 Likes

I am having trouble adding in sound files as well. I downloaded WWise and followed the tutorial and got a .wem file that I placed in a newly created drs/sounds folder, but I just could not get it to play. I tried renaming the folder (sound/sounds), tried renaming the sound event name (Filename, Play_Filename, etc.), tried moving the file to the mod folder for the scenario and back to the original folder. Nothing seems to work.

The thing is, though… even if I do get it to work, the change from the old sound file system to this, where you are dependent on a single, complicated sound studio to get functional files, is not exactly making things more user friendly. Is there really no way to just allow designers to use .mp3 and .wav as before?

1 Like

Check my post above, I just now edited it and added the final solution I discovered to the bottom of it so I may have been doing that as you were typing your post :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree that there should be a more user friendly and quicker way to do this than to have to use a third party tool, both options would be nice to have considered in the scenario editor design - backwards compatibility for simply inputting raw .mp3 or .wav files to maintain old scenarios while still being able to use the more modern WWise method of storing multiple sound files in a single container

1 Like

Yeah, the thing you describe is exactly what I tried one of those times, and it didn’t work. I tried it again just now, and it still doesn’t work. I have no idea what I am doing wrong haha!

EDIT - I added a video to the OT showing exactly what the response delay for triggers looks like.

• Negative damage object triggers don’t seem to work, at least not on buildings. this needs to be fixed

• Still can’t paint water on elevation or activate that mode if it exists. we have it in UserPatch, we need it here.

• Elevation still goes to 7 lol what, UserPatch can go up to 12.

• Modify Attribute needs to be explained to new designers, and attack/armor types need to be fixed.

• A chu-ko-nu uses attack type 3 (Pierce) but if I want to affect this, I have to type “0” as its type in a Change Object Attack trigger. why is this?

• Regeneration Rate of what exactly? because it doesn’t affect my hero units.

• Teleport object doesn’t work like in UserPatch. Can we get an option or checkbox to ignore terrain/collision restrictions so we can teleport buildings to achieve cooler design effects?

4 Likes

Talking about suggestions:

• Having all the civ variants of merchant, kings and monks as their own individual units would be nice, since all civs have unique, or some have, and currently you basically need dummy civs, just for a few models and icons.

• Being able to change the unit name, like the description works, which affects the ID of the unit, this would allow those yet to be trained, to have the custom names, since the current version of change object name is great in its inclusivity if neither area or object is spesified, and it can be put on a looping timer, to smooth over this halfways, but it would be better to just be able to affect the table ID.

• Since we can change the unit description, a place where the tags needed to bring out cost, hp, etc used are listed would be nice, for me and other newer people, Does not need to be much, maybe just the tags and an example, somewhere inside the age of empire 2 game, so it can easily be viewed.

• Finish the unit descriptions, this seems to be a thing for norse warrior, eastern warrior amongst other, just helps keeping track easily what, they are weak against. They dont got a one because they are never supposed to be trained, which is somewhat fair enough, but still, would be nice to have.

1 Like

Looping Change Object triggers are harsh af compared to just changing the ID with a Modify Attribute, If you change the ID with Modify Attribute, it changes it for all units of that ID, existing and not – as it is basically mimicking a Technology Effect.

Totally agree with finishing descriptions… I’d also say, fix the tooltips and make them more informative, the trigger tooltips don’t help much at all in understanding their use… A full list of triggers and all their effects would be useful.

The thing is you can change the ID, in which the name and description is pulled from in String Table, alot of it is nosense wave 1, jumble text and etc, so being able to change the string table, would solve a lot of stuff using existing triggers and not needing to add a lot, but both ways are good, compared to looping a trigger, and the trigger wont hide the fact that during training you will read the original name, since thats not affected.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will be adding them, and a bunch of other ones from the folks at Age of Kings Heaven, to the OP.

… Or maybe not. I literally cannot find the edit button anymore? Is there a limit to the number of edits you can do or did I just go blind?

New additions:

Terrain

• You still can’t paint water on elevation or activate that mode if it exists. This is already available in the UserPatch and should be available here too.

Triggers

• Negative damage object triggers don’t seem to work, at least not on buildings.
  • Modify Attribute needs to be explained to new designers, and attack/armor types need to be fixed. Ideally with individual explanation boxes for each attribute that can be modified.
  • “Regeneration rate” does not seem to affect heroes.
  • Teleport object doesn’t work like in UserPatch. Can we get an option or checkbox to ignore terrain/collision restrictions so we can teleport buildings to achieve cooler design effects?
  • You do not appear to be able to change a unit name at the unit ID level. Ideally this should be possible, just like the unit description can be changed for all units produced, and mean you don’t have to use heavy-handed looping triggers that constantly rename all units of a certain type.
  • For the “Change Unit Description” effect, it would be nice to have text boxes where you can add the unit’s cost and/or an example text of how to add the resource icons to the text through codes.
  • Fix the tooltips and make them more informative, the trigger tooltips don’t help much at all in understanding their use.
  • Destroy object will be detected only after the new destruction animation is finished, which takes 8-9 seconds. The player will get the razing amount instantly, but the building destruction will be detected only 8-9 seconds after that, which will break anti-delete systems. It can be fixed by adding extra delay, but then the player will be able to delete freely during that 8-9 seconds.
  • Modify attribute effect is broken. Some attributes work properly when modified but, for example: changing the garrison capacity of a Baracks does not work, no matter which of the different Baracks objects you chose.
  • Villagers will occasionally moonwalk across the map after having their speed or work rate changed, although the poster of this issue was unable to reproduce it after the first time it happened.
  • “Change Train Location”. It seems to be a recurring issue with any building that has multiple iterations across ages (Baracks, Stable, Archery Range) that this effect doesn’t work properly. You can have to pinpoint the dark/feudal age version of the object to get the effect to work. Ideally it should work with any of them - or the only version that appears in the object list should be the one the effect works for, to avoid confusion.
  • If Unit1 is tasked to Unit2 with Task Object effect, and Unit2 moves away, Unit1 will go to Unit2’s original location, so won’t follow Unit2. This will break spawn systems with moveable gather point. Already spawned units won’t change direction if you set gather point to a different location.
  • Units with 1/0 HP get destroyed, which will break kill (or feed or razing) counters at 0 kills (however 0/1, so ∞/1 units will survive).

Various

• A chu-ko-nu uses attack type 3 (Pierce) but if you want to affect this, I have to type “0” as its type in a Change Object Attack trigger. Why is this?
  • Finish the unit descriptions, this seems to be a thing for norse warrior, eastern warrior amongst other, just helps keeping track easily what, they are weak against. They dont got a one because they are never supposed to be trained, which is somewhat fair enough, but still, would be nice to have.

Suggestions:

• Having all the civ variants of merchant, kings and monks as their own individual units would be nice, since all civs have unique, or some have, and currently you basically need dummy civs, just for a few models and icons.
  • A full list of triggers and all their effects would be useful.
  • Condition: “Chat contains” (So player can interact with game as making yes no decisions, writing magic powers, etc, etc) As in Age of Mythology.
  • Condition: Set a dialogue box with a select button option. (Yes/No or any other written option). Also saw it in AOM TT.
  • A wooden floor tile as an editor object. Or, alternatively, a “Floor” terrain or two: wooden floor, stone floor, etc.
6 Likes

Some units, when unhidden from the editor with AGE, don’t show up in-game whilst others do. EG: I unhid “Blue Tree” and it doesn’t show up in the editor.

It’s impossible to use the Item ID of any unit we can’t naturally select from the select object menu. If we type an Item ID in, switch effects, and then come back to this effect, the ID resets to -1. Either allow us to type in the ID or allow us to select projectiles and dead units from these select object lists.

1 Like

Will add that to the list after I have had time to do some more experimenting! It does sound like a problem carried over from HD, though. I had the same problem there with objects like the OMTBO.

On another note, does anyone know why I can’t edit the OP anymore? Is there a limit to the number of edits you can do?

Does anyone know how to remove the hero halo or remove a halo mode for a unit, via in the trigger mode or?

I’m going to have to look into that, but if there isn’t already a way to turn it off it would definitely be useful to have!