A large number of players are unable to connect to the internet,Sorry, failed to connect to multiplayer services. Server certificate authentication failed

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: ######
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

Most of the players are from China, including Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Shanghai, Hunan, and other city. I have over 30 friends in different locations who have encountered an unresolved issue in the past 2 days, unable to enter multiplayer games. Most of them experienced this issue in internet cafes (80%), while a few encountered it at home, in the office, or on their laptops.

Sorry, failed to connect to multiplayer services. Server certificate authentication failed

Source : AccountLoginEvent
Error Code : 0xffffffff
Extended Code: 0xfffffff3

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. open steam
  2. open game
    3.Sorry, failed to connect to multiplayer services. Server certificate authentication failed

Source : AccountLoginEvent
Error Code : 0xffffffff
Extended Code: 0xfffffff3

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

ZY5EG(Q7P@L8YGXV2SJZ~6E_tmb

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

2 Likes

是系统或者防火墙原因吧,网吧的windows都不知道多久没更新了,让你的朋友找网管更新一下系统。
这里有错误代码的解释:https://support.ageofempires.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402033075476-0xfffffff-error-code

全国各地的不同网吧,并不是一个网吧。服务器证书是老问题了,证书续期失效。我查阅了steam上的电脑专家关于证书的回复,只能copy证书过来,但是无法定位帝国的ssl根证书是哪一个。

1 Like

I’m getting the same issue, it also started 4 days ago (at least that’s when I first noticed, could have started a few days earlier but I didn’t try it). I’m based in Europe - not China.

I’m playing via GeforceNOW. How do you play in internet cafes? Do you install the game on the local computer? Or do you actually also use GeforceNOW?

2 Likes

Geforce Now says they are aware of the issue and working on a fix. Let’s hope it happens soon.

2 Likes

i fixed it. you need play age3(free) first time. and then fixed

What? 解决方案是先开一次帝国3?然后帝国2就正常了? :joy:

I’ve tried the AoE3 tip, didn’t help unfortunately. I’ve crossposted to reddit in case it helps anyone vent their frustration publicly:

Oh I see, apparently it’s a known issue now!