A Message to World's Edge, the community needs continued Caster Mode support for FFA

Hello World’s Edge & the AoE4 forum community.

My ingame name is Aussie_Drongo, I’m a content creator that mainly focuses on casting games of AoE4 on YouTube. This post seeks to formally request World’s Edge to continue support for Caster Mode in AoE4, especially for Free-For-All (FFA) games. Caster Mode is an advanced way to watch replays that provides the viewer with significantly more information than the regular replay UI function.

Currently, the AoE4 development team is not supporting caster mode. This has been confirmed by internal sources. This means bugs will not be fixed, and features will not be added to caster mode. It also means that further game modes will not be supported by caster mode, specifically, team games or FFA.

With the release of FFA quickmatch in season 7, the development team has indicated their intent to support the FFA game mode. With the popularity of the gamemode in custom games, I suspect FFA in quickmatch is going to be incredibly popular and will likely drive growth to the community.

As a player, I’m incredibly excited about FFA quickmatch, it’s going to be explosive and chaotic, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. As a content creator I wish I could be as positive. The spectator UI for FFA games is not fit for purpose, with minimal information shown to the viewer about the state of the game and the players within it. It takes up a large portion of the screen and is also bugged, showing incorrect values for the military tab. You can see what it looks like here:

When it comes to caster mode for 1v1, it’s buggy and badly needs new features (like being able to see the chat that occurred ingame) but that’s not what this post is about. We can actually take quite a bit of inspiration from 1v1 caster mode for what an FFA caster mode might look like. You can see what caster mode looks like for 1v1 here:

Previously, I hosted an FFA tournament called Outback Octagon. We used a custom UI through a mod that was created by community members which allowed viewers to see significantly more information. Unfortunately this mod can’t be used for any FFA game, and to access the UI the games have to be played on this mod specifically. While it’s not perfect, it would serve as a wonderful base for what an FFA Caster Mode UI could look like. You can see what it looks like here:

AoE4 has an opportunity to experience a new beginning here in season 7 with FFA quickmatch. Even if development started today, a caster mode for FFA might not even be ready for season 8, but we need to get the ball rolling immediately.

But why should you, the AoE4 forum community care? Player numbers. The more players that are playing a game, the healthier that game’s community is. It means shorter wait times in queues, it means more balanced games, and also means more focus from the development team for future updates. Dissecting player numbers is not easy, but the AoE4 community is an ecosystem that is more than just the people currently playing a game on the servers. It is the people posting on the forums, the people watching YouTube content, the people in twitch chat, the people posting memes on reddit. It’s an ecosystem that enhances the experience and further drives loyalty and engagement to the most important thing, player numbers.

As a dedicated content creator and member of the resilient AoE4 community, I urge the AoE4 forum community to rally behind supporting Caster Mode, particularly for FFA matches. The absence of continued support for Caster Mode in AoE4, especially in light of the upcoming FFA Quickmatch feature in Season 7, presents a significant gap in the viewing experience for players and spectators alike.

Ultimately, the success and longevity of AoE4 hinges not only on the gameplay experience but also on the strength and vitality of its community. By prioritising the development and implementation of features like FFA Caster Mode, World’s Edge has the opportunity to not only enrich the viewing experience, but to also foster greater engagement and loyalty within the community. Together, let us advocate for the continued support and enhancement of Caster Mode, ensuring that Age of Empires 4 remains a thriving and dynamic gaming ecosystem for years to come.

A video has also been released in conjunction with this post. You can view that video here: https://youtu.be/A2WqKh2F2Jg

56 Likes

Comfortable tools for casting are vital for growing and sustaining the playerbase through the content the casters create and spread.

If supporting a proper observer / replay mode like Capture Age in AoE 2 is daunting, please give the community the tools to create and maintain it ourselves.

5 Likes

I am thrilled about the new season and getting an option to play proper FFA ladder. But, having a proper caster mode for FFA and team games would elevate engagement with AoE4, and will help spread the good word. People are excited in discords to jump into in the new season to FFA. Please give the content creators tools to improve viewing experience and thus increase outreach of our community and bring more people to our game!

3 Likes

Do this!!! Hearing that there might be no improvements coming to the replay UI seriously lowered my excitement to keep playing.

Not only is an improved viewing experience for casted games but I like to be able to watch my own FFA games with these details.

Also, why can we not have free camera in replays??? I don’t want to only use it during a mod but watch all my replays I play with the excitement that comes from being on the ground level. I can only imagine how drongo would use it.

2 Likes

The only reason I started playong AOE4 was because I stumbled upon Aussie_drongo casts and watched them for weeks, I would love it if he could have easily accessible and more information for his casts. Having to take the time to check things can sometimes take the focus away from the game which is the whole point of the cast in the first place.

All these extra features would be awesome to see and I hope more effort is put into the caster mode

2 Likes

I started out watching content and then wanting to play. Anything to enhance the exepriance of casts. We need more people to see and appreciate this amazing game!!

2 Likes

This is absolutely vital for the continued growth of the game, having a UI like this looks clunky and unprofessional, this should be at the very top priority before new civs, before balance changes, before anything else.

2 Likes

The 10.0.576 patch notes have so many awesome improvements. Game is starting to look polished.

I’m keen to FFA, and I hope FFA gets decent caster support (and the same solution should also support team games).

+1

3 Likes

Good to see you on the forum Drongo.

I’m sure the devs will look at your thread and take appropriate action.

I know it’s frustrating that Army Value fails in calculations and a few other things, but I hope that both (FFA caster mode request and fix 1vs1 things) will get resolved over time.

2 Likes

Hi ! I start playing aoe4 looking to the incredible Outback Octagon and it would be awesome to go on with those tournament!

Thank you AussieDrongo to make this game more attractive :wink:

3 Likes

I love watching replays and Drongo is one of my favourite casters, please give him the right tools!!

2 Likes

Outback Octagon was one of the reasons I started playing AOE4. Caster Tools are essential for building a healthy player base. I hope the devs listen to us.

2 Likes

Cannot agree with this enough, not just for FFA, caster mode needs consistent love.

2 Likes

I support that too.

In addition to what has already been said, a rewind button, the free camera and a highlight (or marking) of battle moments would also be very welcome.

3 Likes

Sacred sites and player politics are big parts of FFA games.

Right now, we can’t see in-game chat. We can’t see a sacred timer. Having these things would create dramatic content, grow the AOE4 community, and contribute to the financial success of AOE4 DLCs and expansions.

Let us revel in the drama! Help us get excited about your game!

2 Likes

Please work on caster mode! I am nothing but a slime mold without my custard!

1 Like

I fully support this! If it takes a lot of resources from other areas of the game, just let us know so we’re not waiting in limbo. I.e “Caster mode is our primary focus for the next season and other planned improvements/changes will be delayed”.

2 Likes

Please make this happen developers!

2 Likes

We 100% need more support for the Caster Mode in AoEIV. Coming off the best selling Age of Empires Expansion of all time, now is the time to strike the iron while its hot! And let’s not stop there! Lets get more communication from the devs as well. Get the Roadmap back online!

2 Likes

Nice one Aussie and nicely communicated!

People strongly support your case.
This game shouldn’t die yet and does deserve some care…
There is only one series like aoe, there is no other.

2 Likes