"A New World" DLC suggestion

Happy new year! I think these are essential points too.

I don’t know enough about north American history to make claims, but from the Wikipedia page it seems at least the Mississippi people meet a lot of those, but of course historical accuracy/controversy could be an issue.

That said, there’s already a lot of historical inaccuracies regarding existing meso civs in the game, namely in them having siege weapons and advanced blacksmith upgrades, when at most meso civs had some knowledge about copper and bronze, but not yet iron.

That said, here’s my basic analysis on which meso civs not currently included in the game could fit in. It’s not that many, and I based this off of a chronology which only includes Mesoamerica. If you know of such a chronology for South America and North America proper, please let me know :slight_smile:

Civs I think could be included, mentions the two I previously posted:

• Zapotecs
  • Tarascans/Purepecha
  • Huastecs/Totonacs - this civ ruled mostly El Tajin and Cempoala, a rather important city state in that time.

Civs that are close, but probably should not be included for various reasons:

• Guachimontones/Teuchitlan - although they held a large territory in western Mexico, and built a lakeside city, they pretty much declined and disappeared too early. Btw, I’ve been to this archeological site since I used to live close by.
  • Chalchihuites - they apparently built a large city state too, but too little is known about them so their addition would be too speculative.
  • Toltecs - these guys were quite important and built large cities, from which they asserted dominance. The issue with them I think, is they’re too similar to the Aztecs, having pretty much the same religion and language. Indeed, the Aztecs recognized them as their predecessors. Having been to the archeological site, I can say the vibe is a bit different but I wouldn’t know how to transmit that into a game civ.
  • Teotihuacans - they were a great power contemporary to the Mayans, who they traded with, battled and even conquered them in some instances. The issue with them is not that much is known about their identity, we don’t even know which ethnic group built their great city, whether Totonac, Nahua or Otomi. Their city was overtaken by the Toltecs and later the Aztecs. I’ve also been to this archeological site.
  • Mixtecs - as with the Toltecs, I would say these are also too similar to the Aztecs. At least they had a different language, but visually their art and architecture was extremely Aztec looking.

This chronology includes mostly civs that were at least somewhat empire-like, there are hundreds of ethnic groups not mentioned here which in some way were part of the “ecosystem” and might have affected the status quo in various ways.

Edit: I do find it strange that the chronology doesn’t mention the Otomi though.

4 Likes