Acolhuans And Tlaxcaltecans As Variants

ACOLHUANS

Taking into account the announcement of the civilization variants, I think that if the Mexica ever entered, they could come along with two very similar Nahua peoples, the Tlaxcaltecas (about whom I already made a post, but I will add their information here again) and the Acolhuas.
In the shadow of the well-known Mexica or Aztecs there existed a kingdom, one without which they would never have become an empire, the Acolhuacan. Known as the kingdom of Tezcuco or Tezcoco, it was an important nation in the valley of Mexico that flourished thanks to agriculture and advanced knowledge that earned them being considered the most culturally advanced by the Cortes expedition.
In the past they were on the verge of being eliminated by Tezozómoc who ruled Azcapotzalco, the Tepaneca city. Tezozómoc managed to besiege the capital of Tezcoco, but in a twist he was pushed several kilometers in a retreat where he ended up being cornered and began peace negotiations. From behind he conspired to assassinate Tlatoani Ixtlilxochitl and achieved it after relying on Acolhua traitors. Ixtlilxochitl’s young son, known as Nezahualcoyotl, survives. The story of the exiled prince is so long and legendary that I cannot do it justice here, but to summarize, throughout his youth (from the age of 16) he fled from death, he was captured and helped to escape by his people devastated by the Tepanecs in on multiple occasions and little by little he made alliances. Eventually Nezahualcoyotl manages to form a resistance so well organized that it makes Acolhuacan independent, restores his dynasty to the throne, also helps free the Mexica and puts an end to Tezozómoc while founding Ēxcān Tlahtolƍyān (Triple Alliance) which became the Mexica empire. He was treacherously attacked by the Mexica during the first years of his reign and defeated them, but instead of annexing them he decided to maintain the alliance.
During the government of Nezahualcoyotl he composed multiple songs that earned him the nickname of the poet king. He was a great architect who built the dams and the aqueduct of Tenochtitaln as well as the aqueducts, public baths, palaces, and gardens of his kingdom. He created a legal code with 80 laws that adopted the entire triple alliance and introduced innovations such as divorce, appeal courts to strengthen the presumption of innocence and divided the regency into 4 councils to make administration more efficient. It also seems that in his theological postulates he wanted to move to monolatry, but there is not much information about it.
The descendants of Nezahualcoyotl ended up joining the Spanish in the conquest, but it is true that at first, they had their skirmishes with them and sacrificed several. During the fall of Tenochtitlan the Acolhuas were convinced to return to Tezcoco and they left the siege, even so their nobility retained some influence in the viceroyalty.

For the flag he chose the Acolhua glyph along with the blue that covers the armor of Nezahualcoyotl in one of his representations, this because it seems to be common among nobles. I was going to use the variant of the Acolhua glyph that is linked to the hill glyph (which in Nahuatl is also usually used to indicate place such as “land of”), but it seems that it refers only to Tezcoco and the arm is more global.

CIVILIZATION BONUSES
-Technologies are researched 10% faster per age.
-Upgrades for all military units are 20% cheaper.
-Transport ships shoot an arrow for each garrisoned unit.
-Starts with an additional villager and every new town center creates 2 villagers automatically.

UNIQUE BUILDINGS

• Council’s Palace: After having reacquired the government of Acolhuacan and ending the war with Azcapozalco, Neazahualcoyotl greatly reformed the administration, creating a new legal code and founding the 4 councils in which he divided state power: The councils of war, finance, justice, and the music council (This was in charge of the arts and sciences).

The palace can be built from the first age and can research two technologies (they don’t have to be from the same council.) by age, the later the development of said technology the better.

Council Of War
-Guerrilla Tactics: Ranged land units gain a more powerful attack, but it requires 1.2 minutes to recharge. This attack gains +2 damage multiplied by the era in which this technology was developed.

• Tactical Superiority: Nobles gain a small area in which they increase the attack speed of non-noble units by 3% * the number of eras in which this technology was developed.

Council Od Finance
-Resource Management: Already developed resource gathering technologies add +1% of improvement.
-Water Works: Agriculture is harvested 3% faster * the number of eras in which this technology was developed.

Council Of Justice

• The Laws of Nezahualcoyotl: Villagers increases their hit points in 5% * the number of eras in which this technology was developed.
  • Modernized Trials: Villagers are trained 5% faster * the number of eras in which this technology was developed.

Council Of Music

• Tutor Training: All technologies are 5% cheaper * the number of eras in which this technology was developed.
  • Architecture Of Nezahualcoyotl: Buildings increases their hit points in 5%* the number of eras in which this technology was developed.

LANDMARKS
To age II
Nezahualcoyotl Baths: Nearby units regain their hit points, and all houses gain 5 of population space.

Tetzcotzinco Garden: Constantly spawns berry bushes and trees that can be picked 20% faster than those found on the map.

To Age III
Ehécatl Temple: Nearby markets generate 10% of additional trading profit. Can garrison a relic and generates additional gold per second.

Tezcoco Palace: Reduce the cost of Council Palace technologies by 10% and train Acolhua nobles 15% faster.

To Age IV
Teotihuacan Court: Acolhuan nobles increases their cost by 5% but also their hit points in 10% and barracks train units 8% faster.

Otumba Court: Ranged units increases their cost in 5% but also their attack speed in 10% and nearby Archery Ranges trains units 8% faster.

UNIQUE UNITS (House Of The Darts Units)
-Quauholƍlli Warrior: Unit that performs an attack, a heavy attack with area damage, this takes a few seconds to recharge.
-Acolhuan Noble: Replaces the common warrior, has 5% more hit points, and gains 5% attack speed for each melee damage technology.

(The two hands weapon is a Quauholƍlli)

AMERICAN CIVS UNITS
As you can see in other posts I have made, these are units that are shared between the civilizations of America as I have put it in other posts.

• Slinger: Fast shoot and move unit, but donÂŽt deals much damage.
  • Javelin Thrower: Replaces the crossbowmen and have bonus damage against ranged units.
  • Canoe: Cheap, fast and weak archer ship.
  • Spearmen: Like any other Civ.
  • Archer: Like any other Civ.

UNIQUE TECH
This include the 8 Council’s technologies.

• Atlatl: Javelins +2 of damage and +1 range.
  • Ēxcān Tlahtolƍyān (Triple Alliance): Ally town centers spawns 2 Acolhuans Nobles and 3 Quauholƍlli Warriors (Maximum 3 town centers per player).

Etymology of the name.
It is composed of acolli (shoulder), which when entering the composition remains the root acol-, this is given the possession suffix -hua, thus forming the word acolhua (he who has shoulders). Pomar shows it in the plural, “acolhuaque” and translates it as “hombrudos.”
A theoretical interpretation from its roots can derive it as ā-cƍl-huah (ā- ‘water’, cƍl- ‘grandfather, ancestor’, -huah ‘possessor’) would literally mean 'those who have ancestors [from] water '. However, the glyph used for the city is a bent arm with the water sign (Nahuatl ā-) above (to represent the phonetic value /a/), this glyph comes from the quasi-homophone ahcol- ‘shoulder’.
A third interpretation from semiology may consider the word “acolhua” as a variant of ################# "a(ah)colhuah"​—and it may also mean “lords of the lake” or “dwellers of the lake.” The root is reminiscent of what we find in other terms such as "colhuia"​ with the sense of “surrounding.” Literally designating “he who has an arm”, and indirectly “he who embraces, surrounds or dominates (something)”, literally applied to “he whose arms surround the water” or “he who has his arms in water”. As it is a demonym, the word “atl” (water) refers to the lake.

Personally, I think Acolhua means something like “Those who embrace the ancestors of the water.”

THE REPUBLIC OF TLAXCAYAN

The unconquerables, those who without being a great empire like the Purepechas, were able to remain free from Mexica rule. Surrounded in the four cardinal points, without allies to trade and under the stalk of the sons of Tenochtitlan, the republic of tlaxcayan was born as a union of cities that developed autarchy to make up for the lack of trade.
They were Nahuali like their enemies, in the prehispanic Mexico that means they dominated the war like no one else. In a few years, Tlaxcala becomes a bastion with fortified out post and a population constantly ready for the war call.
Despite their situation, the tlaxcaltecans had a very interesting and developed culture. The red was the national color, maybe because the region was rich in this pigment. The poet – king Netzahualcoyotl from Tezcoco invite they to a poetry contest where I praise your gifts and proclaim you a people of fine arts. They were so proud of their corn farming and the deliciousness of their tortillas that their name means “Place of Corn Tortillas”
During the conquest they were the ones who provided the most native troops to the Spanish, forming a huge army that was probably responsible for the massacres of civilians in Tenochtitlan after their victory, this because their hatred for them had been accumulating for generations and many of them possibly They did not remember a time when they could leave the borders of their dominions.

####################################################################

The Flag: I take a modern flag of Tlaxcala, keep the colors for their symbolic importance (especially red), the glyph is also an official one where there are two hands making a tortilla between hills, as in theri valley.

CIV BONUSES
-Villagers +35% hit points and +1 damage in age II and age III.
-Military units -15% cost and trains 20% faster.
-Markets have better trade prices and return to the original prices after a while.

LANDMARKS
To Age II
Battle Mural: Nearby military buildings work 5% faster and receive a 10% cost reduction on units they train.

Xochitécatl Pyramid Of The Flowers: Produces food per second and can garrison a relic to duplicate the production and also generates gold faster.

To Age III
Tianguis Of Tecoaque: Market whose trade produces food every time a caravan leaves gold.

Altars Of TizatlĂĄn: Nearby temples works 15% faster and Couxtlahuaca gains +2 of damage.

To Age IV
Palace Of Ocotetulco: Acts as a keep and town center, also trains units in pairs.

Temple Of Tecoaque: Eliminating units in your influence aura produces gold.

UNIQUE UNITS

• Huexotzingan Warrior: Fast runner with high attack speed. But low HP. Some codex describes this elite warrior with a coyote helmet but other includes deer and alligator desing.
  • Coixtlahuaca: The warrior priest of the theocratic cholula fights using ranged weapons.
  • Tlaxcaltecan Warrior: Replaces the axeman and have +1/+1 armor in comparison.

AMERICAN CIVS UNITS
As you can see in other posts I have made, these are units that are shared between the civilizations of America as I have put it in other posts.

• Slinger: Fast shoot and move unit, but donÂŽt deal much damage.
  • Javelin Thrower: Replaces the crossbowmen and have bonus damage against ranged units.
  • Canoe: Cheap, fast and weak archer ship.
  • Spearmen: Like any other Civ.
  • Archer: Like any other Civ.

UNIQUE TECH

• Atlatl (Shared with the mexicas): Javelins +2 of damage and +1 range.
  • Heron Banner: Symbol placed on the back to distinguish elite warriors. Tlaxcaltecan Warrior +20% hit points.
  • Chimalli (Shared with the mexicas): Archers gains a shield; this provides +1 pierce armor.
  • Defense Of Tlaxcallan: Outpost are upgrade to frontier out post, have more hit points and shoots one additional arrow and can trains spearmen and archers.

My Mexica / Aztec Post: The Mexica Empire Speculation

2 Likes

I HONESTLY REALLY DISLIKE THESE POSTS with civ suggestions since
 forever
 let me explain why:

Because it’s so UNFAIR the amount of Time and effort people put into this to build these AMAZING CIV ART including buildings, units, history, EVERYTHING is just
 WOW! and that it isn’t valued and its not gonna be included in the game is
 TERRIBLE
 sad, disappointing, they could have just opened this site and picked 4 civ ideas from the sooo many I have read and ALL they could come up with is
 jeanne d’arc
 its INSULTING
 oh but the silly childish halloween-y biome and those silly unlock able rewards are looking good
 the average age of the fanbase is 25-30 years old and they still pay attention to THAT

1 Like

I completely understand your fears and I sincerely believe that many things will never be what they officially could have been, although I have some hope and if the Devs don’t do it, maybe the mods can do it. I share that I don’t like half of the DLC variant civs at all as a concept, they could have introduced the order of the Hospitallers for France and the Yurchen in China.
However, I do this partly for pleasure, for the love of history and to spread a little about these not so well-known peoples. Speculation are fun for me, but if you want to vent, that’s what this community is for that can empathize with it.
If I can do it, I will make a mod in the future or I will cooperate with whoever wants to do it (even if I don’t study programming), but then having one for another game, I think I would like to bequeath that to this community.