Additive Sound Modding

In the October update, the devs implemented additive sound modding for the sound sets xml files and the individual proto units’ sound xml files. As someone who made a civilization mod I was interested in these as it should mean less things to worry about being broken and needing to fix after updates. I took the initiative to try to figure them out since the patch notes didn’t say how to format them.

Proto unit sound files i.e. demercbattleship_snds.mods.xml

<protounitsounddefmods>
  <protounit name="deMercBattleship">
    <soundtype name="Select">
      <civlogic>
		<choice name="none">
          <soundset name="FrenchMonitorSelect">
          </soundset>
        </choice>
      </civlogic>
    </soundtype>
    <soundtype name="Acknowledge">
      <civlogic>
		<choice name="none">
          <soundset name="FrenchMonitorAcknowledge">
          </soundset>
        </choice>
      </civlogic>
    </soundtype>
  </protounit>
</protounitsounddefmods>

Sound Set files i.e. soundsetsde.mods.xml

<soundsetdefmods>
  <soundset name="YucatecoSelect" volume="0.8000" maxnum="4" distance="1.0000">
    <sound filename="Mayan\Select1.wav" volume="1.0000">
    </sound>
    <sound filename="Mayan\Select2.wav" volume="1.0000">
    </sound>
	<sound filename="Mayan\Select3.wav" volume="1.0000">
    </sound>
  </soundset>
  <soundset name="YucatecoAcknowledge" volume="0.8000" maxnum="4" distance="1.0000">
    <sound filename="Mayan\Move1.wav" volume="1.0000">
    </sound>
    <sound filename="Mayan\Move2.wav" volume="1.0000">
    </sound>
    <sound filename="Mayan\Move3.wav" volume="1.0000">
    </sound>
  </soundset>
  <soundset name="YucatecoAttack" volume="0.8000" maxnum="4" distance="1.0000">
    <sound filename="Mayan\Attack1.wav" volume="1.0000">
    </sound>
    <sound filename="Mayan\Attack2.wav" volume="1.0000">
    </sound>
	<sound filename="Mayan\Attack3.wav" volume="1.0000">
    </sound>
  </soundset>
</soundsetdefmods>

In addition to being less hassle for civ modders, there is a neat application that could be done with these since a mod of just sound xmls looks to be multiplayer safe according to the in-game mods tool. I did an audit of all the units you can get out of the various TEAM cards and it looked like quite a few are just mute for some civilizations. If I recall all the African Royals team units have no sounds for anyone besides them, and the Inca in particular are missing from many sound files that I noticed, the generic “Settler” doesn’t even have them on it.

Thanks to additive sound modding, one could amend these sound files and not have to worry about scrambling to update after a patch drops. We could also give a voice to the Unknown map, which features a variety of units with sound files that only work with very specific civs or that just don’t have one at all like the Flagbearer that can spawn in there.

4 Likes

Thanks ! I had seen this addition with interest. But there was no more info (the mod guide has not been updated). I’ll test it.

I had most of this done a while back, and today I slogged through all the treasure guardians to find which ones were lacking sound files, as I knew some did but had no idea which ones.

I made sound files for all the treasure guardians who are lacking one, and made additive files for a few that were missing grunt/death/creation sounds.

A lot of the unique Unknown map units should have sounds now.

TEAM card units should have sounds for all civs.

1 Like

I just tested it. It works very well!
I’m working on a European civilization mod and this feature helps me a lot.
Thanks to you, thanks to the devs!

However, I think that an update of the official guide is necessary:

1 Like