Age of Empire IV should have different play styles for Civilizations and types: example Nomad Civs

I am writing to suggest that Age of Empire IV should make the game play for certain facts unique based on that factions culture. I suggest that Age of Empire make nomadic civilizations have different style of play that reflects the reliance on pastoral nomad-ism and raising animals and not farming. Also these factions should have the ability to be more mobile such as the ability to move buildings such as in Starcraft with terrains where many buildings could be moved and dropped to a new base. In both Starcraft and Warcraft each faction plays completely different base not just on units but how they build and collect resources but in most Age of empire games facts rarely have that much different except units and perks.

Additionally it would be cool if these nomad factions could rely villagers and turn them into temporary solders. Also as stated above these factions should also feel like nomads and have pasture that create animals for harvest not farms. Age of Empire online had something close with the ox cart which allowed for more mobility and the scared grove which produced a deer you could harvest. My hope is that Age of Empire IV makes each faction/civilization unique no only in name in units but also how they function and play with buildings and collection of resources in a way that reflects that civilization in a historical context. What are some of your ideas, please share.

AoE IV isn’t confirmed the timeframe.

I am afraid that AoE IV is just a remastered old game, nothing revolutionary, just a “gold mine” trying to get some money from scratches :slight_smile:

@Xamolxis said:
I am afraid that AoE IV is just a remastered old game, nothing revolutionary, just a “gold mine” trying to get some money from scratches :slight_smile:

What?

LOL Age of Empires IV is about the Great War dude

Nomads in modern era?

I dont care what Starcraft and Warcraft do, AoE is AoE, I dont want it to be something else.

@IamDalv said:
I dont care what Starcraft and Warcraft do, AoE is AoE, I dont want it to be something else.

Is important, AoE born included by Dune, Civilization and Warcraft.

Long as the gameplay is similar to AoE2 and AoE1 you can for sure make more unique civs. AoEO for example made a lot of unique civs not insanely unique though. They each are similar in the sense they have TC and similar buildings units. But all units and buildings are very slightly different maybe this archer has 9 attack while this other civs has 10, but the one with 9 has more hp for example.

I think AoE4 should stray away from the 10+ civ model of AoE1 and AoE2 to actual be able to have more unique civs for sure. It’s a trade off worth taking.

@J0rdian said:
Long as the gameplay is similar to AoE2 and AoE1 you can for sure make more unique civs. AoEO for example made a lot of unique civs not insanely unique though. They each are similar in the sense they have TC and similar buildings units. But all units and buildings are very slightly different maybe this archer has 9 attack while this other civs has 10, but the one with 9 has more hp for example.

I think AoE4 should stray away from the 10+ civ model of AoE1 and AoE2 to actual be able to have more unique civs for sure. It’s a trade off worth taking.

@J0rdian said:

I think you are boiling down the AoEO civs a little too much. They definitely all share the same core mechanics as they all riff off the Greeks, but they each have a handful of unique buildings, important techs, concepts, and units. I think it’s a decent model to have different play styles while still feeling like all civs belong in the same game.

Traditionally there are two strong approaches: have two, three or maybe four really different civs, or have civs based on a common core. These two shine because they’re relatively easy to balance. In the first approach you can just play enough bouts of all possible matchups to balance things out, in the latter approach civ balance primarily follows from unit balance. If knights are not really better or worse than foot archers than a knight bonus is not really better or worse than a foot archer bonus. There are plenty of games with an approach somewhere in between, but they do often take a bit longer to get the balance about right. The in between way has definitely become more viable in the age of patches though, balance no longer needs to be done right before release. So it is an option.

yep agree! One of the main downsides of aoe was that civs were too simular!