Age Of Empires 1 Gold on Windows 10

I am trying to install an old copy of Age Of Empires 1 Gold Edition on my Windows 10. However starting the installation gives me the error: “Age of Empires Gold can only run on Microsoft Windows 95 or later or on Microsoft Windows NT Version 4.0 with Service Pack 3 or later.”

I have tried changing the compatibility mode to all the OS on the list. Tried running as administrator. The weird thing is nobody else on the whole web has the same error message. Please help!

From my little experience running old games: try compatibility mode on the exe and/or the setup, or run as admin, or a virtual machine like VirtualBox. You could also check the requirements for the game.

@PlayerNY9 said:
From my little experience running old games: try compatibility mode on the exe and/or the setup, or run as admin, or a virtual machine like VirtualBox. You could also check the requirements for the game.

Yeah, I tried that, you can see that I did in the OP.

PS: The user who disagreed, can you tell me why you disagree, if you won’t post? What part do you disagree with?

I think this if often a problem with the launcher. There’s at least one replacement launcher out there somewhere that you can post in the game’s folder. (Rename and keep the original one just in case!) I wouldn’t directly know how to find it though. I think UPatch also has this functionality build in.