Age Of Empires 4 Team Suggests An Xbox Version Is On The Cards

Many times (if not all the times) when you select a replay, it plays another replay instead. Try it yourself. And, also, with observing games many times it throws you back to the main menu after loading.
So yes, I posted a list of missing features in the other thread about campaigns :slight_smile:

Well, you werenā€™t being specific, so I didnā€™t want to make the mistake of guessing. If your only issue are those of controls, like Andy mentioned, additional peripherals are more than possible (just like you can use an Xbox controller pretty much seamlessly with a PC running Windows), or maybe theyā€™re investigating how best to map the controls across.

Itā€™s not like it hasnā€™t been done before, with Halo Wars (and the sequel). Now, you can argue that Age of Empires IV is complex in ways Halo Wars 2 is not, but weā€™d have to wait and see how any internal experience at MS / Xbox Game Studios could be transferred from the lessons they learned with that franchise (again, a benefit of Relic working with Worldā€™s Edge, here).

gags

RTSes donā€™t port well to consoles for a reason. Are we going to have cross-platform support and then ā€œconsole-assistā€ where the BO is done for you?

I love it when people bring Halo Wars as an argument. I actually played Halo Wars 2 and while somewhat fun for its dumbed down level, you cant compare it to a proper RTS like AoE. It was dumbed down to a level that is totally unacceptable for a proper RTS. So Halo Wars 2 is like an RTS for children, imagine going into a store and instead of buying a real laptop you buy one of those fake laptops for children which make a monkey noise or something when you press a button. Thatā€™s Halo Wars 2 :slight_smile:

And they cant require keyboard and mouse for a console version, because you canā€™t sell a game to consoles just for the buyer to later realise that they need mouse and keyboard to play it. Adam Isgreen said this himself, and I agree. Itā€™s a different audience, they will expect it to be playable on a controller no matter how big the disclaimer on the box is. I know some PC games require an Xbox controller to play (and that is shocking enough, because PCs dont come with Xbox controllers), but while that still works because PC gamers are more adaptable, it wouldnt work the other way around for console players.

3 Likes

So your argument is that Age of Empires IV is too complicated compared to Halo Wars 2 to be mapped effectively to a console controller?

An interesting argument for you to make, for sure!

Im eagerly awaiting counter arguments.

i mean was he wrong ? Halo wars was built with controller in mind unlike the Age of empires games.
Hereā€™s what i think that they will do : a bit dumbed down Xbox version with a new UI to make it accessible to console players which is fine by me .

I mean, what do you want me to counter? I canā€™t counter an opinion, and I havenā€™t played Halo Wars myself. I have some RTS-playing friends who have, but I donā€™t want to speak for them. All I was saying is that itā€™s possible for it to work. You disagree. Doesnā€™t have to be anything more than that.

I just think itā€™s interesting your argument is rooted in Age IVā€™s complexity as the defining factor for it not being able to work on a console properly.

I play tirn based and rts on pc and xbox they work brilliant on both systems if we are talking about it being a next gen exclusive here of course the old xboxā€™ ones donā€™t have the power for these games thatā€™s coming from experience but thatā€™s only performance not gameplay the one x and series x run these sorts of games fantastic take northgard Stellaris and ancestprs legacy for example

Explain obviously halo wars right but also stellaris yes a grand strategy but with similar principles take a look there are plenty of rts games around on xbox that do and play well

See that is just an outdated and wrong opinion dude you have sorry I play strategy on xbox and pc and get near identical experiences especially on next gen series x hardware have you tried a strategy game on console just curious or is this a ridiculously ignorant opinion you are running with? No offence but try them like I have it will give you faith

This is NOT good news.

Jesus still wild assumption lmao this is a personal vendetta to you isnā€™t it halo wars 2 is a basic example yeah but there are TONS of console rts games that more than hold their own and run comfortably Iā€™m sure console gamers can be as adaptable as pc gamers come on its not genetics relax explain how letā€™s see:
Northward
Stellaris
Those silly C&C games that are awesome
Tropical (light example)
Iron harvest
Ruse
Ancestors legacy

They all work work perfectly fine on xbox with controller and I play age IV and can say its not as wildly different to physically control as these others its just way more engaging and nostalgic

In single player you can make it with an RTS on console. In competitive play, absolutely not. The fact that you donā€™t have access to hotkeys and control groups alone means you have a greatly hindered ability at playing the game fully.

This explains a lot the grid system they are forcing everyone to use. The bad news is it looks like customised hotkeys is a long way away

Relic have had a grid system for hotkeys in a lot of their RTS games. It has nothing to do with any kind of speculation on a console version.

While you definitely have a point there but itā€™s not impossible sure you canā€™t have as many as on mouse and keyboard but groups could definitely work I would say maybe they could do it for console the way survival games let you hotkey items atleast on controller but thereā€™s no reason they canā€™t encourage people to try mouse and key for the game on console like what war thunder cod and dayz subtly do

Using a keyboard and mouse on a console defeats the purpose. Further, it puts you at a distinct advantage against other console players. You can do a lot to allow hotkeying on a controller but it simply cannot compete with a keyboard and mouse. I suppose they could create a console version but then you only play other console people. Iā€™m certain less micro intensive metas would open up and you would have a divergence in games, but it would be downright disrespectful to all parties to have console and cpu play against each other.

Not necessarily cross platform games are all over the place including ones that allow hotkey binding from survival to strategy I get your concern but Iā€™m also not convinced mouse and keyboard is completely unfairly advantageous over gamepad it depends on the game and person playing try to have a more balanced approach you only seem to have negative things to say about the idea console ports arenā€™t anywhere near as bad as you make them out to be Iā€™m telling from experience on pc and xbox

You can see this from the way the UI looks in the menu. Itā€™s blocky Ina card like way just like a console menu. It makes it hard to navigate sometimes with cuz it was made for navigation with a controller in mind.