Age of Empires Definitive Ed keeps crashing

Okay so I know that Trend Micro is really bad about causing this error especially if using the MS store version, but Steam as well. My guess it is also bad with Malwarebytes, Norton, and McAfee, and all of my games have had issues after Windows Defender updated, so I turned that one off. I run Trend Internet security and I have my whole Steam folder in the exceptions list so that solves the problem for Steam. If you are using the Windows Store version it’s a little trickier to add that folder to your exceptions list. You have to take ownership of the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder. Here is a good video on how to do that. Once you have that settled you can go into your virus/internet security program and add the whole C:\Program Files\WindowsApps to your exception list. This actually solves most of the warnings. Be aware we got this warning on my desktop using the MS Store version after we had done this. I did not realize Steam and UPlay where both open in the task bar. Those overlays will get you and make sure you actually quit them if using the store version. The only successful overlay for the MS store version is the MS games bar and XBOX overlay.

1 Like