Age of Empires II Definitiv Edition

I just want to say that I really love the Idea of overhauling the Graphics of Age of Empires II HD in an Definitiv Edition. But I also want to say:

I hope it is a free update for everybody who already owns AoE II HD on Steam!

1 Like

Let’s see what developers have to say about it. So far we saw the announcement.

The most logical thing would be to do the following:
The overhaul of everything, graphics, unit AI and the like, however, the core of the game is still running in old 2d, which means the core and balancing and the numbercrunching can be left intact. Now if you already own the three new addons for AOE2, it’s would make sense to have it’s content transfer over to the definitve edition.
Not a completely free update, but recognition of the state of age2 would be good, yes.

But let’s not get too exited about a concept that only has a title and another with the exact same title copypasted to have one I more.

I just fear that if AoE II DE is not a free upgrade to AoE II HD that many people will feal upset about buying a game twice.
Also it might split the players again. We are already on voobly and HD if a 3rd game comes i’m not sure if that’s beneficial to anybody.
This is a forum for AoE II HD so let’s discuss that.

@KingDarBoja said:

Yes this is only the announcement put i want to make sure that the voice of the players will be heard and let us discuss this topic together. I’m sure there are people with a different opinion.

I trust the guys from Forgotten Empires. But as hard as it sounds. Microsoft is interested in making money but I care about a lot of AoE with as many other players as possible. I have a passion for this game. I play it since i’m 4 years old (19 years now) and it was the first game I ever owned. I don’t want to see it becoming a cashcow or see it dying while some tries to make it one. Because Age of Empires is now alive because Microsoft cared so much about the Userbase. It is a live because the Userbase cared about Age of Empires and
now i want to make sure that Microsoft hears our voice to care about the Userbase before it is too late.
AoE IV has a huge Hype potential and i don’t want to see it killed by some stupid Money Decisions. Even if they would reverse a stupid decision. It might be too late.

@DesAnderes said:
I just fear that if AoE II DE is not a free upgrade to AoE II HD that many people will feal upset about buying a game twice.
Also it might split the players again. We are already on voobly and HD if a 3rd game comes i’m not sure if that’s beneficial to anybody.
This is a forum for AoE II HD so let’s discuss that.

@KingDarBoja said:

Yes this is only the announcement put i want to make sure that the voice of the players will be heard and let us discuss this topic together. I’m sure there are people with a different opinion.

I trust the guys from Forgotten Empires. But as hard as it sounds. Microsoft is interested in making money but I care about a lot of AoE with as many other players as possible. I have a passion for this game. I play it since i’m 4 years old (19 years now) and it was the first game I ever owned. I don’t want to see it becoming a cashcow or see it dying while some tries to make it one. Because Age of Empires is now alive because Microsoft cared so much about the Userbase. It is a live because the Userbase cared about Age of Empires and
now i want to make sure that Microsoft hears our voice to care about the Userbase before it is too late.
AoE IV has a huge Hype potential and i don’t want to see it killed by some stupid Money Decisions. Even if they would reverse a stupid decision. It might be too late.

I just bought AoE 2 HD so yeah that would suck if I would need to buy it again. Will just wait for AoE 3. Need to see if AoE DE is going to be worth it 1st, I think it will.

is too much fast to doing a remaster…

I don’t mind paying for the same game all over again if what is added to the game is worth the extra investment to me.

Even though both definitive edition games were announced today, we’ll probably see AoE II: DE before AoE III: DE. There may also be up to a year (or more) between releases. No timetable was given for any of the new games announced today.

AoE2 is probably the best installment of the franchise and the HD version, after struggling a bit after being launched, is finally stabilized and on a very good shape. The game is very enjoyable (for me is the best game ever) but it definetly has room for improvement. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind paying “again” for the game if the improvements are substancial (and by the comparisson of the original AoE1 and it’s definitive edition, I’m optimistic).
Also, I think that remastering the 3 games in sequence will create a lot of good hype for AoE4 while opening the franchise for new and younger players, which is fundamental to keep the game growing, as we all want!

Paying 3 times for the same game would be crazy, i love aoe2 and HD edition, would love a new graphic arrangement but wouldn’t buy again.
It would be useless another version because It would kill Aoe2HD and all the work done in these years, noneless the money Microsoft put in It, second manu users won’t buy It again and there Will be a loss of money and users enthusiasm, a free update would be the perfect compromise to publicize Aoe4 and make people play aoe2 again

@rhrmn said:
I don’t mind paying for the same game all over again if what is added to the game is worth the extra investment to me.

Even though both definitive edition games were announced today, we’ll probably see AoE II: DE before AoE III: DE. There may also be up to a year (or more) between releases. No timetable was given for any of the new games announced today.

Just that it wont even be the second time but already a third or more + the expansions. If you have to buy it again then is some really shady business if you ask me. Then again M$ their only goal with the age of series is milking it to the limit.
Besides chances are its only on the M$ store again, if they give it for free (give out code over steam to current owners) they can lure them all on their new platform.

I am highly concerned at this move, surely they are not just going to release AOE2:DE on W10 as it’s own, seperate game far removed from Steams HD game? I mean, no offense but AOE2 does not need it’s own remaster, MS gave up on this series and they did a U-TURN and allowed for Skybox Labs to create a HD remaster, 3 expansions packs on top of this and now they are coming around and going “we are doing our own 1” eh?

Surely, hands down, their is only 1 fair situation in all of this:

• Free for all owners of HD version
  • Remaster covers all the expansions too
  • It is a update on Steam and can also be played “new” and crossplayed on W10 Store with Steam

They absolutely can not release it as a new game again, they absolutely can not make it a W10 exclusive and they absolutely can NOT make is pay for it AGAIN otherwise if they cared that much about this series why was the HD remake even allowed to go ahead? Well we know the reason don’t we…the $ bills made from it made them change their mind and now they want in on the money.

I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst to be honest.

My guess would be this will be entirely separate from the HD edition and expansions. Those will still be available on steam to purchase and buy but aoe2 DE will most likely be a windows store release with win10 as a requirement. Going out on a limb but I think it will include all the expansions released so far for it.

Dont know if they will continue releasing on the original release dates but aoe2 was released September 30 1999 so we might have some time yet till we see that, but this is just a huge guess. Not sure how long aoe DE was in development before being shown at e3 so no way to really take a good guess at when we will see this. But this will probably also cost 19.99 to take a guess at price which is a pretty good deal considering all the content we might receive with it.

@SmokingCoalman said:
My guess would be this will be entirely separate from the HD edition and expansions. Those will still be available on steam to purchase and buy but aoe2 DE will most likely be a windows store release with win10 as a requirement. Going out on a limb but I think it will include all the expansions released so far for it.

Dont know if they will continue releasing on the original release dates but aoe2 was released September 30 1999 so we might have some time yet till we see that, but this is just a huge guess. Not sure how long aoe DE was in development before being shown at e3 so no way to really take a good guess at when we will see this. But this will probably also cost 19.99 to take a guess at price which is a pretty good deal considering all the content we might receive with it.

Yes I see your point and to be honst I would guess the same. But I don’t like it because it means spilitting the Community and I don’t like that Idea.

I also don’t mind buying the game again. If its a reasonable price i will go for it. But over last few years i bought AoE II HD quite a few times more for quite a few friends. I just bought 2-3 Keys at a Sale and gifted them whenever I had a friend that wanted to join a match of AoE. I know that most of them woun’t spend another 20€/$ to buy it again.
That could have a huge impact on the MP. I guess it’s going to be either AoE II HD or AoE II DE I don’t think that there are enough players so bouth games can have a healthy community. And i would guess that voobly stays arround a little bit longer :smile:

I would love updated graphics!

HD is good thing :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to have good looking epic battles, like it was in AoE 3 the case when the cannonballs hitting the units and bring them to fall back when they got killed. Of course this should be only a visual effect.

And also I would appreciate if the system requirements getting not too high, because I only use notebooks nowadays and I also want to play these kind of games.

But I also think you need to bring some really good improvements not implemented in AoE 2: HD, otherwise I don’t think it is worth to buy it “again”. At least for me I expect more than just slightly better graphics compared to HD version.

Thank you!

please seperate the game from steam… steam’s servers are so bad and aoe2 is for multi play mostly… Most players would pay for a shiny game with good servers

I agree with @Pheeraoh steam servers are awful and there is always lag.

If you have graphic similar to Age of empires 3, it will be worth buying.

A free upgrade; are you joking? No way. They’ll all be $20.