šŸ“œ Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition ā€” Update 42848

Wait, do I understand it correctly that Khmer are worse in teamgames now than they were before DE (much weaker elephants, no BBC and only a minor eco bonus to make up for it)? Except people will probably contunue to complain that those nerfs are insufficient.
Overall somewhat disappointed, mainly because all notable changes were leaked from the tournament, and I expected more from a patch after such a long break.
-Arambai nerf doesnā€™t matter much in castle age where you actively micro your units and loose a lot of time between shots anyways. Instead it makes arambai worse in imp, where they are underwhelming anyways. Another issue is that increased interval between shots might take a while to get used to.
-Kipchaks are now almost exactly the same unit as mangudai with barely any distinctive feature (CA that are good against rams and are easier to micro)
-Elephants are nerfed even further for all civs with bigger collision box and lower damage vs buildings. Maybe I misinterpreted their collision change, but I assume it means that you canā€™t pack them as densely, which ultimately results in worse performance.
-Instant loom on Goth seems odd. They introduced a new type of bonus (instant research of a specific tech) specifically to make a slight adjustment for a civ. Not a big deal though.
-1.035 speed for turtles looks ridiculous, as a number. I mean, why not round it up to 1.04 or 1.05? Thatā€™s a minor complaint, of course.

2 Likes

Elephants nerfed. Arambai nerfed. Bye bye burmese.

For gods sake, where did the Saves & Replays gone ?

Spanish Canon gal buff: mawr scary

Alucard: Havenā€™t you heard the new sensation sweeping the nation? B*****s love Canons.

1 Like

saves and replays pretty much get wiped every patch.

Hold up, youā€™re forgetting the greatest thing this patch has done, Mat!

You need to rejoice and celebrate my friend! As are all the pros, for it took us a whole year to get this monster in itā€™s place!

Well Iā€™m sorry TriRem, you might have had the popular comment and got 29 likes there back then 5 months ago, but it seems like ALL the people that matter,
the devs, the pros and the balance team have now finally reached to the same conclusion I had the moment the Leitis was buffed to ridiculous levels.

Goes to show what is popular, isnā€™t whatā€™s best all the time.

3 Likes

its place is being useless and never seen except in 3-4 match-ups?
so why do you complain so much about long swords and other such units then?

1 Like

Elite Janissary accuracy increased from 50->65% is a bit too much.

The constant Aztec nerfs are not my cup of tea unless I am missing something.

This will probably make Byzantines, Vietnamese and Saracens the new worst civs with a win rate of below 47%.

pretty much consistently the best civ in arabia for god knows how long? if you check tournaments youā€™ll see Aztecs literally everywhere. either played or banned almost every series. KotD3 they were seen in 99% of all drafts.

My game likes to crash to desktop now after the patch, a lot. Just sitting in the main menu and the game just disappears.

On higher ELO ranks they have a win rate of 51.50% and for all rankings 50.33%. Itā€™s bizarre.

stop judging based on ladder. go look at tournaments and see.

AWESOME CIV BALANCE, but it is really bad that the devs donā€™t care that much about general balanceā€¦
hand cannoneers, cavalry archers, long swordsmen still suckā€¦
supplies is still a useless technology
not to mention steppe lancers

3 Likes

And half the UUs and UTs never see play.

2021 will provide some surprises I guess.

Penguin is a scout unit in Antartica.

Best patch ever.

1 Like

Wait really? WOW and LOL

1 Like

Bye bye vietnamese elephantsā€¦ I almost never used them beforeā€¦

Time to play ethiopians, i supposeā€¦ Or koreans.

Portuguese are going to be the civ i want to try. and Tatars. and Turks.

It is good to know that by the new patch the Obsidian missiles have no effect on stone walls, gates, towers, but you didnā€™t mention the castles, do these missiles still work on castles like we saw in WC 2v2? It was totally sick and broken