Age of Empires IV - Patch 10257 Notes

They don’t want to nerf them, they want to improve the other Civs, as they should.

1 Like

I like these patch notes and feel this is a generally good direction with all very valid and high profile fixes, as well as the plans for Abbasid, encouraging feeling that the developers are listening, thanks!

Obviously they can’t fix everything in one patch, but this is a good start.

3 Likes

Patch notes look good. we can pretty much all agree on these nerfs and buffs.
I happy there releasing this tomorrow with another patch in Feb. Good work.
One big balance patch a month is acceptable in my book. More then I hoped for or even thought we would get.

My hope is they look at siege balance changes for the Feb patch. This is a big issue that might be harder to balance correctly. Also let us remove Wonder victories in team games. Its not fun and ruins the team game.

This news give he hope for this game yet. Lets keep it up Devs

I don’t see improvements in the patch note other than bug fixes.

Did they delete Abbasids ? i cant see it they promised so many times they will buff it

No cancel animation fix = total failure as a patch.

3 Likes

I agree that these things should have been ironed out before release, but they weren’t, all we can do now is be grateful for the fixes they can implement quickly.

Yes a lot of things are still lacking, yes I feel like they could do more, but there’s probably a lot of overhead and corporate whatnot slowing down the processes out of the control of the developers, and it’s good to show the developers some appreciation.

Especially since I use the other 90% of my time bashing features that should have been implemented at launch and the corporate practices of pumping this game out while unfinished, but that decision was likely not up to the dev team.

Yes I’m still deeply disappointed in the state of launch and the amount of bugs still in the game, but I’m a little less disappointed.

I’m cautiously optimistic

Edit: they really should fix animation canceling ASAP, be it in a standalone patch or whatever a couple days after this one, it is pretty crap that it hasn’t been fixed.

1 Like

Yes I do agree with you and my comment wasn’t very level headed. My dissatisfaction for the game as a whole is seeping through, I should have refrained from commenting. But will keep it there now so people can see your reply in context. Which I agree with 100%. Animation cancelling not being fixed is a serious problem, I don’t think this patch will be enough to bring people back and that’s a shame.

1 Like

Also no fix for the new infinite range bug, where if you convert some enemy archers on top of walls your units get very high range

1 Like

Nothing changes for them? Their strategy right now of tower rushing is going to require like 100 more wood, meaning it gets delayed, their rax is delayed (and spears) and their feudal will be delayed because of that.

Also losing the 50 wood is huge on hybrid maps, delays how early they can fight docks.

1 Like

no hotfix about animation cancelling?
It is 2022 now, it’s hard to imagine players can increase units’ DPS multiple times with bugs in a RTS game, after three months of sales.

In forums and games, seasoned players laugh loudly at players who don’t use delete animations, and claim it’s a part of the game.

ok, good job guys. I have no choice but to delete the game. Goodbye

1 Like

Looks like between this patch and the next a lot of major issues will be addressed. Definitely a step in the right direction. Looking forward to demo fixes, animation cancelling fix, and Abbasid buffs.

There are still 20-30 Delhi bugs that need to be addressed: tower of victory and hisar academy, upgrades not affecting tower elephant archers, armored beasts not affecting tower elephants, multiple scholar auto-heal issues, elephants bugging out and not obeying attack commands, etc.

A few other things I hope make it into an update soon:

• Delhi imp time research is still too long
  • Delhi fishing ships are counted as military units and get pulled off of fish when trying to grab all your land army. Frankly, there should be different buttons for selecting land and naval military units, as well as land and naval military buildings. F1 should not include docks (results in dock gather points being re-tasked with military buildings), and maybe not monasteries either. Hotkey system in general needs a MAJOR overhaul (something closer to AOE2 would be a huge improvement), and I know this has been mentioned by the development team previously.
  • Allies should be able to connect walls (including repairing allied walls and building single segments in allied walls, say after trees are chopped or wall is broken by siege).
  • Should be able to connect stone and palisade walls
  • Ability to reconnect to game from disconnect/crash rather than being instantly defeated (say everything goes idle like you are afk instead of showing as immediately defeated, and teammates get a notification that you are disconnected, with opponent being notified only in 1v1). Some other modern games have this feature. Maybe there’s a timer and you’re defeated if no reconnect within 5 minutes.
1 Like

I do hope for these changes, but tbh I think Delhi might be a top tier civ now, probably right behind Mongols. Also tbh most of the important Delhi fixes went through, fixing the rest might actually be a nerf since animation canceling elephants is way more meaningful than any remaining bug.

That said the wall changes will probably require walls to be entirely recoded so I doubt we will see wall connecting soon (though it would be cool)

Delhi is supposed to be good. They said in their last live stream they view Mongols as the standard and want to bring other civs up to their level. Hence you saw very minor mongol nerfs. Just enough to slow them down a little early on and make the tower rushes less ridiculous.

I agree that animation canceling will be a nerf to Delhi elephants. But it’s also a nerf to fire lancers, royal knights, regular knights and lancers, etc. Delhi can’t landmark snipe as quickly, but they’ll also have more time to respond to landmark sniping.

The landmark bugs at least need to be addressed. You have one age 2 landmark that basically isn’t viable (both due to bugs and because with imp research times so long you can’t afford to not have half price scholars), and another that can’t be used if you research the now viable honed blades tech. But landmarks in general need an overhaul. Some civs have several great landmarks. Others have landmarks that make things playable rather than feeling like they open up opportunities. The only Delhi landmark that actually creates opportunity is Compound of Defender. All the others are either non-viable, insignificant, or (Dome of Faith) are absolutely necessary for the basic function of the civilization.

You think they got 63.3% WR on 1600+ by tower rush? or -50 starting wood is gonna change that?

-50 starting wood delays fishing ships on hybrid maps, which is significant. It’s about time more than the quantity of resources. The tower cost also significantly affects their dark and feudal play on hybrid maps, which is where they tend to get out of hand. 50 less starting wood plus another 30 wood for your first tower is more than the cost of a fishing ship. If you’re going to, say, try to contest their dock with scouts/spears in dark age (which is common currently), that’s a big deal.

Otherwise, the devs already stated they don’t want to significantly nerf Mongols. They view them as the standard and want to bring other civs up to their level.

Even bigger it delays their double spear rush for burning docks. They did say they were looking for more Mongol changes next patch, but I expect them to be minor whereas the major focus is towards buffing Abbasids and improving counterplay vs siege/demos while removing animation cancelling for cav/elephants.

Hopefully they will follow that with landmark adjustments over the course of the year. The goal is every time you age up you’re nearly paralyzed choosing which landmark you want because both are good. Not pick 1 because it’s mandatory for competitiveness and the other is practically useless, or not care much because they’re both relatively insignificant.

If it brings them joy, let them be joyful.

1 Like

And on the flipside, some people will whine, complain and only see the negative. (even before the patch has been released)
Sometimes it seems like people have total amnesia about how RTS games are for both bugs and MP balance this soon after release. This is not an excuse - but a patch per month so far is decent in my eyes. And yes, it probably should’ve been delayed for release but the devs have no control over that.

1 Like