Age of Empires IV should logically be set in WW1

I was thinking this this other day. When will Age of Empires IV be set?

Age of Empires I was the Stone age (???) > Iron Age. (200s)
Age of Empires II was the Dark age (400s) > Imperial Age (1400s)
Age of Empires III was the Discovery Age (1500s) > Imperial Age (1800s)

The Age of Empire ended in the 1930s with the start of the modern age.
World war I was the last great war featuring European Empires.

So Age of Empires IV should be set in 1900s to 1920s.
Also, WW1 has been really popular lately.

Civilizations:

German Empire
British Empire
France
Ottoman Empire
Austro-hungarian Empire
United States
Russian Empire
Spanish
Japanese Empire
Italy

Imagine deploying to a new map, thats beautiful, and pristine. Just to have trenches dug into it, and craters blasted into it. ’

Post Note: I know for sure its not gonna be WW2 because Relic already does Company Of Heroes and Microsoft isnt going to want to confuse Age of Empires and CoH.

2 Likes

So when you clicked to advance to next age you’d just go from 1919 to 1920? Or should they scrap one of the most iconic AOE gameplay mechanics: age advancement? And are we supposed to just dig and camp into trenches like WW1 worked?

Nope, WW1 is not the next logical timeline, they will most likely go back in time.

2 Likes

Then you will have the Campaign for the liberation of Greece in 1821.
My list would include The Greeks, Russians, Ottomans, Arabs and Persians. 1821-1928

African Continent will be a Big Deal in World Wars Era in AoE future franchise.

A new age advancement phase can be added 1800-1945.

@CplOReilly well said dood! :slight_smile: I totally feel the same way after thinking about it for sometime now. It makes so much sense to follow up in the series with a game to feature the last great empires of the world before the modern era. Like you said before ww2 wouldn’t make much sense because we already got the coh series, and other ww2 rts games that capture that era well. Big Coh and Coh 2 fan here , so as far as I’m concerned WW2 is already covered pretty close to perfect. Now WW1 has never been done in an RTS game to the detail level, say for example as in CoH2. Now that relic is on board makes me very excited that this might actually become a reality! :nerd_face: I imagine we could have the best parts of both series, Aoe and Coh, merged into one beautifully Epic RTS game. Ex: keep the unit discriptions like in CoH2 when you click on units thats adds that element of history and cool factor I always enjoyed from coh2

Keep it a base building/ army building game like in Aoe games. You could still have single worker units that gather and build, the more the merry 'R :slight_smile:

Have general’s that have different tech and abilities, as well as multiple nations for tons of varied strategy and play styles.

Have the UI from age games to display ur resources bUT also borrowing from COH a squad unit button selection style thing…the idea’s can go on and on if you just start to think of how both these games could merge into one.

Keep the map environment destruction from COH games , love seeing late game how the map has changed from being ravenged by war…

Keep the building like in Aoe games, anywhere baby you CAn build it anywhere!
I could Go on and on…

All that being said, WW1 would be a fantastic era to explore! There is so much potential for this game set in that time to become a classic…

I just picture starting off with a few citizens, having them collect different resources : wood, gold, food, ore, coal, oil. .etc ,have them build both economic and military structures, then teching up and unlocking steam powered unit’s or finally being able to use all that oil Ive been saving to finally start building tanks or planes.

Keep it at the heart an age game with resource gathering and building…

But focus micro strategy and combat as a CoH game and boy do we have potential!

@IamDalv
…even if its Pre - post WW1you wouldn’t hAve to scrap the Aoe advancement mechanic, it could be a noticeable change in tech and units, and building aesthetic’s like in all age games. Could be like Steam powered age, electricity age, oil age…etc and bare in mind you could have better names for the era advanceds but say focused around those technologis that each time represents, all focused around the time of pre ww1- ww1.it could still be a 4 tier system like in an age game. Start off building farms, tech up and discover electricity and coal boom now you got factories …you feel me or am I grasping at straws here…I rly see this ww1 being a great idea for a completly new Aoe game :}

You’ve skipped the Victorian Era

Problem is you won’t be able to use melee units and artillery units will be extremely overpowered. Also how is Age of Empires supposed to deal with Air Units?

Set the game age in WW1 will simply kill the gameplay.

the best version is AoE 2 era with stories relating to that time period. I feel getting into the modern era has been done too many times. Examples of this has been done via Civilization, but going into history is what makes this game unique. Keep out of today’s narrative and educate audiences on actual events that happened that we can recreate with our own actions and developments to doing what is right and wrong.

It would be cool if AoE did a similar Starcraft 2 model, releasing different countries historical accounts to then play it within the technology of that time in a campaign narrative with cinematics… creating content to make us understand the countries around us and creating a international player base all can agree to with original gameplay.

in AoE we always have 5 ages, in these case could be Victorian Age, WW1 Age, WW2 Age, Cold War Age and Actual Era Age.

Focus in XIX is age of empires 3. We are going to have XIX and post ages.

I think it will be Colonial Age, Industrial Age, Mercantile Age, Technology Age (WWI)

Wouldn’t mind seeing another medieval or classical era game. I do not think the modern era suites Age of Empires’s style.

But thats just me

1 Like

and what about the era of the Napoleonic wars, etc.???
personally, I wish that was targeted specifically at those epochs, in the first world have a separate part of age of empires, the second is also separate.