Age of Empires IV - Weapons of War: Nest of Bees Rockets

That’s what makes AoE a game different from the rest !!

Late game AoE3 however was quite the unit spamfest to find who would run out of resources first. Probably due to the batch production

Some are calling on the video for the siege units to be pushed by people.

AOE 3 is much more strategic and chess like than aoe2.

For so many reasons but its not even worth my time to explain it to you as your in the camp that strives for AOE4 mediocrity.

There are dozens of aesthetic things that could go before crew on siege should be considered. It is crewless siege and every unit exploding into sticks that make it look like a mobile game, not the color graphics themselves… If only balance and stability matter then really, why even make this in 3d? why even make it all? just play AOE2… sequels should not be the same as the first… haha

2 Likes

Hi guys, Please be mindful of the insider NDA.

3 Likes

Exactly, people STOP saying “this unit i played against and destroyed me” “a few cavs can counter it as i did” TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU SEE IN VIDEO, NOT WHAT YOU EXPERIENCED. Thanks for understanding :sweat_smile:.

I presume you’re talking about the unit nest of bees, because in real life the hwacha is based off of the nest of bees, not the other way around.

yeah pretty much.
Depictions of nest of bees i’ve seen online don’t look like the ingame trailer models.
The models seem closer to the Hwacha.

Both are very questionable are they used in real battle or have any meaningful impact in history. As they are never commonly used. Three-eyes gun on the hand was recorded commonly used back in Ming.

Some other weapons recorded in this book are very questionable too (for example, fire dragon issuing from the water)

In Qi Jiguang (famous Ming general)'s book he actually commented on Nest of bees and other weapons are inefficient and banned to use them in his army. Funny a lot of chinese content farms said he use them a lot…

1 Like

History is a fragmented, sometimes illogical thing.
There are lots of people that think certain things wouldn’t be done because they were inefficient or unintuitive. But that outlook neglects to take into account that ultimately these civilizations and kingdoms were people too, prone to mistakes and technological wooing. (just look at modern weapon/vehicle development and you’ll find lots of inefficient bad ideas that governments nonetheless funded) Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey - Wikipedia / Heckler & Koch G11 - Wikipedia / Zeppelin - Wikipedia

And then there are just utterly crazy ideas for the time that in many ways were precursors to mainstays of warfare in the future. Puckle gun - Wikipedia / Mysorean rockets - Wikipedia / V-2 rocket - Wikipedia

Ultimately this is a game series that has a history of taking fun whacky ideas from history and putting them in the forefront (as you said, korean war cart). So imo its a nice and fun little nod to history.

2 Likes

The absence of crew in siege weapons is extremely frustrating and meaningless.

In AOE III all weapons have crew. There’s no point in not having it now. Outside that this passes the feeling that the player is controlling toys, and not participating in a medieval war.
Unfortunately this seems lazy of the developers!

2 Likes

Nest of Bees look slightly different here compared to the screenshot in the chinese civ section of the offical website. I wonder whether that screenshot was simply taken with different settings or the unit received some updates to its model and textures.

On a sidenote it is baffling to me to see people still attributing siege weapons without crews to a lack of effort or resources rather than a design/style choice.

While I personally don’t mind it, I can completely understand not agreeing with this choice. What I don’t get is why people often just assume a lack of effort with every design choice that doesn’t conform to their personal preference.

1 Like

Because anything that doesn’t match their personal preference is obviously just wrong.

This probably accounts for about half the feedback during the beta.

They look so terrible without crew, and that rate of fire makes modern point defense guns look like water pistols. I seriously wonder what the designers were drinking when coming up with this.

2 Likes