Age of Empires Online, forgotten by Microsoft?

Microsoft, you don’t ever seem to mention/care about this game anymore, why?

FYI AoEO is not dead ( Project Celeste )

2 Likes

Because overall it was a failure to them, it’s not worth drawing attention to it. Saying that, the game when it shut down was excellent and I’m currently playing the Greeks at level 30 on Celeste, they’ve done a fantastic job on it I have to say, especially now that they’ve started adding in their own quests and content!

1 Like

Woah, did fans really create their own servers?

Better than DE.

1 Like

Remarkable fact, they even didn’t mention anything about it in the released promo video about the history of AOE. Let’s hope Windows 10 and their Windows Store doesn’t end up the same. Windows Phone, for which they created the store in the first place, already down the drain.

Get those marketeers some real brains please!

It was really dissapointing to see Microsoft not even mention AOEO during the AOE Anyversary celebration, such disregard and disrespect shown to the AOEO devs, Alpha and Beta testers, and the countless great gamers that made the AOEO community one of the best around.

Microsoft should bring the Project Celeste guys in-house and relaunch AOEO, it was the best and most polished AOE game to date.

@Augustusman said:
Better than DE.

I don’t think so LOL.

@Will10154 said:
It was really dissapointing to see Microsoft not even mention AOEO during the AOE Anyversary celebration, such disregard and disrespect shown to the AOEO devs, Alpha and Beta testers, and the countless great gamers that made the AOEO community one of the best around.

Microsoft should bring the Project Celeste guys in-house and relaunch AOEO, it was the best and most polished AOE game to date.

I would not say too strongly that AoEo was the most beautiful game of the AoE franchise. We say that of the series, it was not the best. A cute game, but it does not compare with AoE 2/3.

1 Like

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Will10154 said:

I would not say too strongly that AoEo was the most beautiful game of the AoE franchise. We say that of the series, it was not the best. A cute game, but it does not compare with AoE 2/3.

I would have to disagree with that; once you look past the cartoony art style, the gameplay and the depth of the game goes well beyond AOE 2 or 3;
AOEO had truly unique civs and very different tech trees for each, not simply one castle unit being different along with few techs;
The Home City aspects with crafting gear, etc also added a lot to the game and the comminity feel together with great co-op missions is unrivalled in any other AOE game;
Overall IMO AOEO took AOE gameplay to a whole new level, the problem was many AOE veterans did not even want to try it because of their bias against the art style, which I think was a big mistake on their part as they missed a great game.

Its is unfortunate that the game was so terribly mismanaged by the devs from a monetary stand point;

1 Like

@Will10154 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Will10154 said:

I would have to disagree with that; once you look past the cartoony art style, the gameplay and the depth of the game goes well beyond AOE 2 or 3;
AOEO had truly unique civs and very different tech trees for each, not simply one castle unit being different along with few techs;
The Home City aspects with crafting gear, etc also added a lot to the game and the comminity feel together with great co-op missions is unrivalled in any other AOE game;
Overall IMO AOEO took AOE gameplay to a whole new level, the problem was many AOE veterans did not even want to try it because of their bias against the art style, which I think was a big mistake on their part as they missed a great game.

Its is unfortunate that the game was so terribly mismanaged by the devs from a monetary stand point;

As far as I’m concerned, the AoEO problem was not the cartoon graphics. The graphics were nice. AoEO did not like the old franchise fans. And, again, not for graphics! The game has lost depths over the previous series … They added the ability to build tools and store materials … (could be cute, but it certainly did not fit a game AoE) !! Old-fashioned Ifans regret the deep strategy! AoEO was a cluster of units that followed the rock-paper-scissor rule! zero strategy! talk about co-op as if it were the God on earth: AoE2 and AoE3 have had multiplayer modes with more user concentration! In AoE Online, the player was more focused on finding equipment and how to equip a unit than to plan a strategy at best! have simplified the game! AoEo civilizations were well-balanced, it is true … but maybe you have not thoroughly studied the civilizations of AoE3. Which civilization of AoE3 did you play the most ??

1 Like

@Will10154 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Will10154 said:

I know you put the sign on the button very easily: “I disagree”. We’re just discussing. In my opinion, it is not necessary to put “I disagree” with every comment. I do not think it is constructive to make the war of “I disagree” … we could discuss and respect our affirmations anyway. do you agree?

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Will10154 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Will10154 said:

I know you put the sign on the button very easily: “I disagree”. We’re just discussing. In my opinion, it is not necessary to put “I disagree” with every comment. I do not think it is constructive to make the war of “I disagree” … we could discuss and respect our affirmations anyway. do you agree?

I respect your opinion, but instead of writing another post saying, I disagree with your opinion I just used the features the forums provide, I thought that was appropriate. I did not neccessarily had much else to add;

In regards to your earlier question about AOE 3; its been years since i played it last, from what I recall I played the British civ quite a bit.

@Will10154 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Will10154 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Will10154 said:

I respect your opinion, but instead of writing another post saying, I disagree with your opinion I just used the features the forums provide, I thought that was appropriate. I did not neccessarily had much else to add;

In regards to your earlier question about AOE 3; its been years since i played it last, from what I recall I played the British civ quite a bit.

ok, I agree that you have used the functionality of the forum, but try to think if for any comment you just have to click on “I’m not / agree” … At the end a user is with a ton of click without however finding a minimum discussion / why.

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Will10154 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Will10154 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@Will10154 said:

ok, I agree that you have used the functionality of the forum, but try to think if for any comment you just have to click on “I’m not / agree” … At the end a user is with a ton of click without however finding a minimum discussion / why.

Not really sure what you are getting at; if you simply want to say you disagree with a certain opinion but don’t have anything else to add to the conversation then the button should be sufficient; right?

well, but there will be a reason if you do not agree. I do not always say an explanation, but on 2 posts, one behind the other, you clicked “I disagree”. Of course, the button is special, but I was thinking of finding a why. It will mean that if you have a post, I have nothing to add, and I do not think like you, I will click “I disagree” without even arguing. Good day.

I’ve yet to meet someone who both criticizes AoEO and played it after June of 2012, which is when they fixed its launch problems. It’s a very complex game. The Civs are so, so, so much deeper than AoE2’s cookie cutter Civs. It’s weird to see someone say the game is simple. It’s almost as if that person never played it. There are arguments against it that could be made. But that it requires zero strategy is not one of them.

1 Like

@“Andy P” said:
I’ve yet to meet someone who both criticizes AoEO and played it after June of 2012, which is when they fixed its launch problems. It’s a very complex game. The Civs are so, so, so much deeper than AoE2’s cookie cutter Civs. It’s weird to see someone say the game is simple. It’s almost as if that person never played it. There are arguments against it that could be made. But that it requires zero strategy is not one of them.

hi andy. I played AoEo until the last day. In all, I’ll play 400 hours. I was a beta tester, coming to Tier 5 in PvP (always in beta) clashes. I got in with Greek civilization. Then I brought the Celtic civilization to the fullest. I played with the Persians (immorate them!), Finally with the Norwegians. I would also have taken Roman civilization if she had done it in time to go out. The Egyptians did not like it, but I also played with them. I still have the photos of the games played in the Marion map in legendary mode (the one where there is time to go, remember?) And I managed to do other things legendary missions at predetermined times. AoEo’s civilizations were much deeper than those of AoE2. But the civilizations of AoE3 have nothing to envy (peronal opinion of course). AoEo was a well-made game, and cartoon graphics were not bad, indeed enjoyable! Compared to the previous series (AoE 1-2-3), they included elements that did not give a strategic depth to the game: for example, the search for weapons / armor and its construction with the appropriate materials. These elements are CASUAL! and they add nothing to the strategy of the game! When did the AoE series head to that style of play? This did not please me. Still a nice game. But certainly not the best of the series, because as I explained to you the previous series focuses on a different style: the ability to form units in chapter AoE2 (this is what’s a strategy); AoE 3 cards have a far more strategic impact (some do not like it, but differentiate civilizations without penalizing them). And I told you only some of the strategy elements they have proposed in those games. AoEo (which should have been an AEE-style RTS game) what did he have? well-balanced civilizations; they certainly respected the paper-scissor-stone model; and then strategic? “The empire was alive 24 hours a day!” with the production of materials: is it strategy? we had not used the AoE games before.

It seems like I do not like AoEo. That’s not so! I liked it, but do not tell me it was the best of the series. I’m considering it for what it was. Without overestimating it. And then apologize to friends, but why was it closed if even after the launching corrections (after June 2012) the game was improved ?! People will also have set aside for a while (waiting for improvements and corrections) but as AoE title, it has been resumed several times by people even after the corrections and guess who are the ones who did not like it anymore? : old-time fans. According to statistics, AoEo liked more users who did not play much in the previous chapters. With this I’m not saying all the users. There are old-age users who have appreciated it, but most of the older fans do not.

I’m not sure what statistics about AoEO players’ prior history with AoE you had access to, but Ive never heard of them. I think you may be confused about why it shut down. AoE’s executive producer gave a speech about this, and it is available online to watch. AoEO’s biggest problem was that players who were turned off with the launch problems never returned after the game improved. Your assumption that these players returned and concluded that the game was no better than before isn’t supported by the evidence shown on the slides in that speech.

@CostlierParrot3
Where did you find those statistics?

As a very old time player I’ve been in the beta test of AOEO from the start and I liked every bit and byte of it, also the casual elements you talk about which were optional for progressing.

Did you know that AOEO was the first RTS game with wearable upgradable gear?

It takes a lot of courage to reinvent your own wheel.

1 Like