Age of Empires Online, forgotten by Microsoft?

I always find it worth remembering that AoEO was built by Robot, which was founded by the Ensemble AoE guys. I see AoEO’s gameplay as the natural evolution from AoE1, 2, AoM, and then AoE3. The game sure feels smooth.

1 Like

@OldCartoon466 said:
Saying it goes beyond AoE3’s depth isn’t much of a stretch.

Saying it goes beyond AoE2’s depth is utterly insane.

I hope you are joking. However, this is so wrong it’s not even funny, I’m afraid.

@PCS70 said:
@OldCartoon466 No better engine than the AOE Online engine yet, both from technical point of view and smoothness of gameplay. Pathfinding works excellent there. I would like to see a crossover in AOE II style on that engine, but then in 4K with a brand new XBox Beta Hub styled main interface. But they always save the best for last, don’t they? :slight_smile:

A smooth engine and a technical improvement doesn’t make a game great to deep.

AoE2 with AOE Online’s engine may be a an improvement on AoE2 vanilla simply because the engine is better… but it’s hardly the priority. AoE2’ engine is more than “good enough” and what makes a game truly great and deep goes far beyond the engine or technical improvements. AoE2 is a wonderfully balanced competitive work of art rather than an ummemorable “Meh” experience. AoE2’s multiplayer gameplay is absolutely amazing. It’s Starcraft Brood War level only even better. Starcraft 2 has a far superior engine to Starcraft 1, but Starcraft 1 is by FAR the better and more balanced and deeper and more skilled and more interesting multiplayer experience of the two Starcraft games.

AoE1’s engine is terrible compared to newer RTS engines… but even AoE1 is a far more interesting game than AoE Online… AoE Online is where Ensemble started to go wrong, before they released the gigantic disappointment of AoE3. AoE3 is a very good RTS game if you compare it to most RTSes… but after AoE2 it was a huge disappointment. But even AoE3 was more memorable, unique and interesting than AoE Online. AoE Online was far too mobile-gamey-style for millenials with no attention span and no desire for the intense pressure of having to do a million things at once that you get from AoE1 and AoE2.

@OldCartoon466 I think they went a little bit to far with AOE III and AOE Online as well. From those two I like AOE Online more because it’s more ancient setting. I think this RTS game should always be about empires from the past, as it reflects that age of an empire. With AOE III they actually went into the current age already.

Ensemble didn’t develop AOE Online, that’s Robot Entertainment and Gas Powered Games, also AOE III was released before AOE Online and that was an Ensemble project.

I could tell you a long story about how the differences in micro versus larger pop cap and macro influenced AOE’s gameplay together with all those extra goodies added - like auto reseeding, unit formations, follow, guard, loot and so on, because hey there’s time left - since the first version indeed have changed the game.

Further I don’t know which mobile AOE Online version you played and I’m certainly not a millennial nor have a short attention span. AOE III as well as AOE Online were the first versions with some kind of progression system and of the latter version it was steep as ■■■■.

Regarding AOE II DE I’m pretty sure they will not use the bang! engine, they will use the current genie 2.0 engine and update it. The whole party starts from scratch again, well not totally from scratch, the developers have learned from the first release and a lot of material can be reused.

AoE 1 in bang engine.

I’m sure people would pay for it if it was brought back

@superninja418 said:

has already been returned…and it’s free! have you ever heard of the celeste fan project?

1 Like

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@superninja418 said:

has already been returned…and it’s free! have you ever heard of the celeste fan project?

No, if you could pm me link ill be very happy

1 Like

@superninja418 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@superninja418 said:

Still same game.

@Augustusman said:

@superninja418 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@superninja418 said:

Still same game.

Where can I get it??

@superninja418 Just search with your favorite search engine for project celeste.

1 Like

@superninja418 said:

@Augustusman said:

@superninja418 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@superninja418 said:

Still same game.

Where can I get it??

These are places run by the comunity (its not a corporation so no one will delete it on porpuse like some specific discords you heard about…)
AOEO - Discord
ESOC (aoe3 and they also help AOEO with tiwtch streams, eaglemut, a mod in this forum is there too) - Discord

1 Like

I’m probably in the minority, but I actually loved the game. It was obviously different from the previous AOE’s but I enjoyed the gameplay. I wish I could recover my account/stats etc.

2 Likes

I agree it was a good game. It launched 2 years to early and probably with the wrong engine, because most players disliked how it looked…

I know that AOEo wasn’t the most well received game, because of grinding, pay to win etc. The game launched in a horrific state:
-Without gearless pvp,

• Without recorded games,
    -Without post game stats,
    -Without observermode,
  • Only 3 civs…
  • Without good balance. Villager rushes and some civs seemed OP.
    -No map/scenario editor, etc.
    -No real polishing.
    -No real esports support.

The state aoeo was like in the end was actually great. It was, in my opinion, by far the best playing experience. Stuff like great pathing, low lag, fast action (especially compared with aoe1 and aoe2). You can reach max pop in a pvp game in 15 minutes instead of aoe1-2 where you have to play for 40+ minutes.

I think that aoeo made so much mistakes at the start that nobody gave it a second chance. What about a relaunch? An improved engine with some extra things added to the game and less grinding for gear even in pve etc.

Absolutely love this game.

2 Likes

Yeah, 'cuz the game sucked both in terms of monetization, and mechanics. It had 0 positive response and ended up causing Ensemble Studios their growth which then caused them to get closed via MS. BAD!! I am glad MS and We (I) forgot about this mess. Otherwise today AOE 4 was coming from the original dev, not Relic.

Please don’t remind me, I want to forget that game.

…cost Ensemble their growth? Ensemble wasn’t even the studio that made AOE Online. They closed by about 2009 if I’m not mistaken, where as AOE Online was released in 2011, and developed by Robot and then Gas Powered…

1 Like

I challenge you to give Project Celeste a try. That version in DE quality would just be awesome btw.
But I’m patient and know it will come, sooner or later.

1 Like

Whoopsie…I made a booboo. I know all of the original devs worked on this online version of Age, so I thought it was Ensemble. Completely forgot, it was when they were making Halo MMO, and sucking up too much money, that’s when it happened. Thanks for correcting me.

1 Like

I have. The game mechanics never suited to my taste. I just played last week again. Glad though that there is a community big enough to support the game.

2 Likes