Age of Empires Original 1997 Bday gift from older brother

What’s up my fellow AoE hardcore followers. I am very excited at this news. This game was the game that got me interested in history, and military history for that matter. Anywho, let’s talk about some things in the new game that we’d like to see!!!

Increased Population Cap from 50 to much higher?? :smiley:

Grouping Units?

Much higher resource deposits, like instead of 1000 gold for an ore, like 100,000

Lengthened game play? Awesome Scenario creation feature where people can share maps with one another? I loved making maps as a kid and still do!

Shadowing potentially? Weather? Night/Day, Physics?

Let’s get this going!!! I want to see what other fans have ideas for!!!

<3 AoE-- Hopefully this will revive the RTS city building/war game category that we all love!!!

As always-- Rogan?

There will be options for higher population limits.

Grouping units was already possible in RoR.

The resource deposits will not be increased that much if at all. Gold being limited was one of the core elements of AoE1

There won’t be weather, day and night cycle or physics.

@qweytr24 said:

I wonder how they will approach this in terms of the campaigns. My hope is that they will be bold enough to try to improve them while at the same time trying to stay true to their spirit and not make them into something else. They could for example vary the pop-limit depending on what fits; so a tool-age brawl like Land Grab could stay at 50 pop because it plays very well that way, but later more expansive levels could benefit from a higher pop-limit.

@GepardenKalle said:

@qweytr24 said:

I wonder how they will approach this in terms of the campaigns. My hope is that they will be bold enough to try to improve them while at the same time trying to stay true to their spirit and not make them into something else. They could for example vary the pop-limit depending on what fits; so a tool-age brawl like Land Grab could stay at 50 pop because it plays very well that way, but later more expansive levels could benefit from a higher pop-limit.

I don’t think I have ever hit the population cap on Land Grab. Increasing the cap only really makes a difference on the bigger levels. I wouldn’t mind having a higher pop cap on all official campaigns.

@qweytr24 said:
I don’t think I have ever hit the population cap on Land Grab. Increasing the cap only really makes a difference on the bigger levels. I wouldn’t mind having a higher pop cap on all official campaigns.

Yeah but remember that to make it balanced the AI would need a higher pop-cap too. In Land Grab the Dorians are starting off advanced and a higher pop for them could make the early game pretty rough, and then later on the player would need to go far beyond 50 just to keep up with the Dorians production. This would make Land Grab a cluster of 200 pop tool armies, and I think it plays/feels better with the smaller skirmishes that a 50 pop-limit allows for.

If you look carefully at the animation on the Age of Empires homepage there are weather effects. The clouds leave moving shadows on the ground.