Age of Mythology Patch 2.7.4 Preview Update (Discussion)

The file versioning system is too difficult to use for mods. To update the animations for Ajax, for example, I would need to place my file in a version2.0 folder to match the folder of the most recent version of that file. Even if I place it in a version2.7 folder, it won’t override the older version because the folders don’t match. Placing a mod file in a higher version number folder should work. Otherwise, you have to find which folder every unit’s file is in and match them.

Also, vanilla scenarios should use the most recent versions of anim and models files. The changes there are all bugs fixes - there’s no need for the original campaign to continue using the original versions of the files.

1 Like

When you use the god power Chicken Storm, it unables a few game sounds like units attacking, weapons clanging, buildings crushing… and they’re still not playing until you restart the game.

Spanish version of 022 taunt (“Si, ya…”) has no audio.

French translation of “Turma” is “Tuma” (missing R).

We still can’t review scenario replays. Why should we only rewiew recorded games in normal gamemodes (supremacy…) but not in scenarios ?? This is super frustrating when you played a fantastic game in Tiny or Settlers and can’t review what you and other players did during the match.

Chinese War Chariots are quite useless. Fire Lances are a unit of choice because they are cheap, powerful and practical; War Chariots are expensive and only do the same effects as Lances (except building damage bonus). The best would be to be able to train War Chariots from both Stables and Castles in Mythic Age.

Chinese building animations (Stables, Dock, Castle, the 3 Wonders…) are terribly looking.

Some relics have useless or broken bonuses: Scales of a Catoplebas (+4% MU crush armour), Blue Crystal Shard (+5% wood / gold gather rate, they apparently don’t apply to all civs).

I’ve never understood why Kataskopos takes 2 population slots, to me he only needs 1.

1 Like

The 2.7 patch beta added a new anim file for Kastor but it’s identical to the old file. Either you didn’t add the correct new version of the file or you were planning to make changes but never did.

1 Like

The translation to brazilian portuguese is full of small grammatical and spelling errors. The most extreme case is in the description of the Nü Wa god power “Recreation”, where the special characters are all messed up. Here’s a screenshot:
:

Weird thing is that this error appears only in this particular case - all others occurences of accents in the game appear to be fine (i didn’t checked all of it tho). Even the description title shows the special characters (“ç”, “ã”) the right way, so i have no idea of what went wrong there.

2 Likes

I mentioned the game crashing when a unit falls off the map, and wanted to clarify this also happens with the implode god power if it is invoked near the edge, or Heka Gigantes blast units off the map with their special.

2 Likes

Ok, let’s talk about hotkeys.

The inability to leave an action unmapped (those who have hotkeys by default) and to map the same hotkey to different actions in a given field is somewhat annoying. It’s not very interesting to memorize hotkeys for every single myth unit.

I was trying to create custom hotkeys using the user.con file, but for this to work properly, I had to alter the last DefaultKeyMap.xml to make all default hotkeys blank. On single player mode it worked well, but this method results in out of sync error when trying to play online.

If nothing can be done about the DefaultKeyMap.xml files, then please allow multiple mapping of a hotkey and allow leaving hotkeys unmapped. This would improve gameplay immensely.

1 Like

Aspects that need some SERIOUS intervention are the overall performance of the game and the multiplay stability. Those are the main reasons why so many AoM players are still on The Titans instead of EE.

Thank you for not leaving the game in the dark. Oh, and do another alpaca event. :joy:

1 Like

For some reason the replays are very slow. Whenever I wanted to see a recorded game I had to deal with the inconvenience of watching in all but normal speed.

MAKE AGE OF MYTHOLOGY SMOOTH AGAIN

1 Like

replay speed is based on the speed of your processor

2 Likes

Those are not bugs, but the fixes could certainly be welcome:

Fire Lance: attack animation currently aims forward, but shots upwards.
Fire Lance: shouldn’t the Fire Lance’s hit sound like a siege impact?
Garden: previously the construction animation had 2 stages like all others, but the second stage was too big (the round part). As a fix, the second stage was removed, but now the Garden only have 1 stage of building. It is bad because it’s harder to know when the construction is about to be finished and because it’s different from the other buildings (that have 2 stages). To solve it, the previous second stage could be edited to match the completed building (i.e. the round part be much smaller during construction).

1 Like

Visual Glitches for me are not fixed yet :frowning: See Meteor Impact, Its black and makes a transparent orb around it, obscuring everything behind it. Also, sharp edges where land and water meets is there. See the Healing Spring, its fountain is black and not as it should be. I have reinstalled the game 2-3 times and the problem persists. This problem is only with my tho, I haven’t seen this problem in other people’s game.
I have even verified the game files integrity through properties, but Nope doesn’t works.

My Specs :
Core i3 3110M @ 2.4Ghz
AMD 8670M 1GB
6GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Enterprise

1 Like

Okay so a few things. Overall, I am loving many of the balance changes. However, there are still some glaring issues that I can see:

1. Missing ambient sounds need to be added. In the original Age of Mythology for example there would be a blizzard sound effect during a Fimbulwinter. Also, there were bird sounds on the Mediterranean map that can no longer be heard.

2. Missing graphics need to be added. In the original Age of Mythology for example buildings would be covered in snow during a Fimbulwinter.

3. You need to remove and stop using all of the hideous artwork that was created for AOM:EE such as what you are using in the graphic at the beginning of this post. It looks terrible and unprofessional. Use the original game’s images and hire a person that can actually draw. The new art style doesn’t even match the old thereby making the main menu splash, desktop icon, advertisements, and Steam inventory icons look out of place. Even the Chinese civilization’s god portraits look terrible (Huang Di’s eyes look like Disney’s Quasimodo). I will admit though, Chang’e’s portrait is quite nice.

4. The Inferno god power needs to be buffed. It’s basically worthless.

5. As Millisar stated earlier, there needs to be an immediate intervention to improve multiplayer stability. Desyncs, random no error crashes to the main menu or desktop, and LAG are unacceptable and unprofessional. Adding dedicated servers for AOE2: DE was a step in the right direction to combat lag (Although there is STILL lag present it isn’t nearly as severe as AOM’s at least).

6. The looping main menu music is annoying (Thank you CeaseDaFire (But I disagree on disabling forest fire with Gaia Forest. It adds flavor and has already been nerfed unnecessarily.))

7. A sound effect for the fire lance needs to be added for both its launch, and its impact. Just take the sound effect files from AOE3’s Chinese “Flying Crow” unit or the British rocket unit.

3 Likes

My last matches were played using chinese, so I don’t know if these bugs apply to other civilizations:

• Walls sometimes becomes invisible after getting hit.
  • When there were many villagers working, sometimes one got stuck inside a building. It’s as if he went to store the resource and passed through the building’s walls. But I also remember a Scout Cavalry that got stuck inside a Town Center. I could still select them, but they couldn’t get out. I had to delete them. I’m not talking about garrison.
  • When Peasants finish building a Storage Pit near passive hunt animals (i.e. Deers), they go work on the nearest gold mine, even if the Pit is closer to the animals.
  • When a designated resource ends, villagers are going to the nearest resource of WHERE THEY ARE instead of the nearest of WHERE THE PREVIOUS RESOURCE WAS. For example: if 2 villagers are working on a tree and one goes deliver the wood to a Town Center, and the other finishes the tree, the deliverer goes to a tree near where he is, instead of near the finished one.
  • A combination of the previous two cases happened and, after a Peasant finished a deer, another (that delivered food) went to a gold mine instead of a deer.
  • Similar to the previous cases, I’ve seen the rally point of buildings change if the designated target vanished.
1 Like
  • To rotate buildings, I scroll the mouse wheel. But when I’m making multiple buildings by holding shift, if I try to rotate the building, the camera zooms instead. So I have to release shift and select the building again. If I’m making many houses or farms and want to rotate every one, this behavior is bothersome. Remove the behavior of zooming when holding shift if a building is selected.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

One thing that always bothered me and many players is that the game tells that an Armory upgrade makes human soldiers better, but doesn’t tell how much. Set’s Slingers are stronger, but I don’t know how much. It’s currently impossible to properly compare units. If I want to know, I have to research online or use a mod I don’t know how reliable it is. What I ask this time is adding numbers to the descriptions. How faster does a Villager collect food than a Laborer, how long does it take to build a Temple, how much extra damage the Jarls do to Myth units, and how much do the Hersirs. This data is so useful that the community is making mods to cover this since before EE (sadly with some errors). The addition could be made based on those mods, so nothing very original needs be done (it’s only a text addition, and could make a huge difference). There is at least one precedent, as the display villager count on each resource was previously only possible with mods, then was implemented officially on EE. I think the game deserves this, since a patching opportunity is so rare and probably it will take some time before another arises. I have some images using a workshop mod called Advanced Tooltips:

2 Likes

Some bugs I have managed to notice:

• Chinese Halberdier has switched weapon texture for Bronze Weapons and Iron Weapons upgrades
  • Great Wall upgrade description says Citadel Walls instead of Great Wall
  • Chinese Titan never gets empowered hands effect on special attack
  • Extreme lag at some point (NVIDIA GeForce 920M, Intel Core i5-5200U, 8 GB RAM)

Also, It would be really awesome to have an option to play without Extended Edition graphical effects (including water overhaul).

2 Likes
  • Earth Dragon god power shows no power count (since it can be used 3 times)
1 Like
  • If Walking Woods now makes controllable trees, shouldn’t Walking Berry Bushes (from the cheat FEAR THE FORAGE) make controllable berry bushes?
  • Passable, but debatable: It’s odd how Walking Trees (wood) are weak against pierce damage while Portable Rams (flesh) are super resistant to it.
  • In multiplayer it seems that if one player has a weak connection and his game lags, the other players suffer with a freezing game or lag also (probably to keep the players’ games sync). Multiplayer should work like those of modern games, where if one player lags, he lags alone and the game continues smooth for other players.
  • Multiplayer lags even in LAN mode at some moments. Yes, offline games with pcs linked by cable.
  • Add a button on the HUD to Reset Map Rotation. Or consider changing it’s default hotkey to something more convenient, such as Alt-Mouse 3 or Ctrl-Mouse 3 which are impossible to be assigned. Currently it’s Alt-Shift-Home, which is not intuitive and probably undetectable for newbies.
  • Some players complain about the keys to scroll the screen being dated and ask for them to be changed to WASD (currently are the arrows).
1 Like
  • Replays should have means of going back on a certain time to watch it again (clicking on the part I want to watch?) without having to see the whole replay again.
  • Chat should display who the player is speaking to. It can show something like “Millisar (all): text” and “Millisar (allies): text”
1 Like

could we see some fixes to the glaring abundance of bugs with the Chinese, like none of their units have a decay animation, their villagers have most of their harvest animations messed up, the sitting tiger has messed up wheels while moving,their transport ship has a non looping idle animation and its death animation is bugged too, and finally their fire ship has no launch point set for its weapon so it just shoots out where ever. please polish up Chinese,thanks

After the patch still hardly any games online.