Age of Mythology Won't Open

So, I purchased AoM from Steam over a year ago. The game worked fine for awhile then suddenly started closing itself down, mid game. I thought it might’ve been because I played it too often or something. Now, it won’t even open. The opening menu will pop up (giving the list of to play and everything else, which is how I found this website) but when I click that I want to play, it acts like it’s trying to open and then it opens a black screen before disappearing. Steam says they can’t do anything about it because it’s not an issue on their end. I previously tried returning the game but it was past the refund date.
I’ve tried everything I can think of, even got my tech savvy friends to take a crack at it. We’ve updated all my drivers and software, uninstalled and reinstalled, and everything we can think to do.
This is one of my favorite games and I was ecstatic to find it on Steam but now it just sits on my desktop, mocking me.

Maybe this is an issue for someone else and there’s been a fix? Would really love to hear it if there is.

Are you experiencing this problem?