Age of Mythology Won't Open

So, I purchased AoM from Steam over a year ago. The game worked fine for awhile then suddenly started closing itself down, mid game. I thought it might’ve been because I played it too often or something. Now, it won’t even open. The opening menu will pop up (giving the list of to play and everything else, which is how I found this website) but when I click that I want to play, it acts like it’s trying to open and then it opens a black screen before disappearing. Steam says they can’t do anything about it because it’s not an issue on their end. I previously tried returning the game but it was past the refund date.
I’ve tried everything I can think of, even got my tech savvy friends to take a crack at it. We’ve updated all my drivers and software, uninstalled and reinstalled, and everything we can think to do.
This is one of my favorite games and I was ecstatic to find it on Steam but now it just sits on my desktop, mocking me.

Maybe this is an issue for someone else and there’s been a fix? Would really love to hear it if there is.

Are you experiencing this problem?

Hi, I am having a similar issue, the game opens up just fine, but the background of the menu is black and if I go to click to start a game it turns the whole screen black. I bought the game I wanna say around the beginning of this year. I was playing the game the night before this happened, I turned it off to sleep and opened it in the morning (and i think there might have been an update I’m not 100% sure), then it started to do this, which is extra frustrating because I was on the last level. I did also have it close mid-game a few times, but i just assume it was my computer. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it I really love the game and don’t wanna return or anything like that, I just wanna play its one of my favorite games I used to play all the time when I was younger.
I really would like to play again if anyone can help me fix it would very appreciated.

Thank you :slight_smile:

So you were able to play it without any problems?

I would first check for driver updates of your GPU.

The easiest way to do is to open device management (or computer manager and go to device manager), there unfold category ‘Display adapters’ and right click on each there and choose ‘Update driver’ and the click on ‘search automatically for updated driver software’.

And welcome here on the forum.