Age of Recipe

Inspired by another thread, I realized that a passion for Age comes with a passion for homemade cooking - at least for some of us.
As we are a community around the world, I want to start this off-topic thread for all players with a passion for great food who would like to learn about recipes from other nations.
Please do not hesitate to share your prefered meal - along with the obligatory release note (i. e. recipe).

To start this thread, I post a quite easy (and fast) recipe for a sourdough bread (however, a longer rest time will ameliorate the sourdough flavour):

Ingredians

100 g sourdough
150 g rye flour
250 g wheat flour
20 g yeast
2 teaspoon salt
350 ml water

Instructions

Mix the flour, the sourdough and the salt in a bowl.
Dilute the yeast in luke warm water and stir it with the flour mixture. Knead it with your hands to a soft dough (at least 5 minutes).
Cover it with a towel and let it rest for at least 20 minutes.
Knead again and let it rest in a baking basket, coverd with the towel, for another 40 minutes. Bake it in the preheated oven 20 minutes at 240° C and 30 minutes at 200° C.
Let it cool down for approx. 30 minutes.

Enjoy!
2 Likes

I think this is too off-topic for an off-topic thread.

Hi @Matinoto2946, Thank you for sharing. This is pretty interesting. In fact, the community team had a food history blog series at one point.

1 Like

Here is the requested recipe for Taiwanese Sausages (ć°ćŒéŠ™è‚  - tĂĄi shĂŹ xiāng chĂĄng). (Sorry for the late response!)

This sweet-tasting sausage can be found on almost every corner in Taiwan. As soon as you enter one of the many night markets, the sweet smell of aniseed and cinnamon hits your nose. The first bite is certainly a bit surprising, as one tends to associate bratwurst with a savoury taste. This bratwurst, however, is anything but savoury. Sweet and oriental-smelling. After the second bite, however, I was very taken with it.

INGREDIENTS

• 1000 g pork belly
  • 500 g ham (uncooked!)
  • 18 g nitrite curing salt (0.8-0.9%)
  • 600 mg ascorbic acid
  • 120 g sugar
  • 50 g alcohol (95% vol.)
  • 50 g Chinese cooking wine
  • 2 g liquorice root (ground)
  • 2 g aniseed
  • 2 g cinnamon (ground)
  • 1 g each white and black pepper
  • 2 g allspice (ground)
  • 1 g MSG (optional)

PREPARATION

1. Remove the rind and ribs from the pork belly and separate the meat from the fat.

2. Now cut the belly and ham into small cubes. About 5 to 8 mm.

3. Mix the nitrite curing salt with the ascorbic acid and mix with the meat mixture.

4. Then add the remaining spices and mix everything well.

5. Now fill the mass “loosely” into 30/32 calibre pork casings and twist into 15 cm long sausages.

6. Leave to mature at approx. 80% relative humidity and 22-24°C for two days.

NOTE

Nitrite curing salt and ascorbic acid can be dispensed. However, the sausage must then be stored in the refrigerator for the two days. The sausage will lose its red colour after frying (using curing salt will avoid this, think of bacon. It doesn’t turn brown). However, red food colouring can be added (but beetroot powder apparently isn’t heat-stable). The flavour will also be slightly different (if leaving out the curing salt).

HYGIENE HAS THE HIGHEST PRIORITY!!! Keep everything clean and cool and then nothing should happen.

1 Like

Thank you for providing the recipe for Taiwanese sausages! It sounds like a delicious and unique variation of traditional sausages. I hope those who try making these sausages find the recipe helpful and have a delightful and satisfying result.

It’s important to note that making sausages at home can come with food safety risks if not handled properly, so it’s essential to follow the hygiene instructions and ensure that everything is kept clean and cool.

Best of luck with the recipe and enjoy the delicious sweet and oriental flavors of the Taiwanese sausages!