AI is horrbile. Pathfinding is beyond me and population limit 50?

I can get trough the horrible AI. Its alright. I can get used to pathfinding. But how the ■■■■ you beat the campaign with pop 50 limit? I had to atack Troya on 3rd mission. They have at least 100 units including towers and catapults and ■■■■. So, after I farmed a lot, I killed ALL my workers to have only 50 military units just to conquer troja. Is this how Im supposed to beat mission? lol.

Well yes sacrificing your workers to make a pop max army is probably what has to be done, it is a classic strategy in rts. I think i did read that the campaign is exactly the same as in AOE original so there is no need to modify anything.

They may have 100 units inside Troy but they never actually leave the city. So what you do is mine all the gold on the map, make an army of 3 catapults and a ton of swordsmen, then use the catapults to take all the Trojan guard towers out at range and send in your first wave of swordsmen (who will all die, but they will kill the enemy catapults and lots of their other units).

Then build up some more swordsmen and send in the next wave, who will probably finish the job. I did the mission in 2 waves while I still had 15 villagers working on wood/food.

But honestly you should wait for a patch before you play the campaigns. The AI is broken as ■■■■, so the campaigns won’t be as fun as they can be until the AI is patched.

but will there be a patch? and big thanks svelter for your commend :slight_smile:

I beat the Troy mission on hardest with an army of about 20 units. A couple stone throwers protected by a handful of hoplites plus war ships to shoot any enemies that come close to the shore. I like the AoE1 campaigns because you can’t just spam hundreds of units at the enemy. You need to think about what units to make and use those units carefully.

how the ■■■■ you went into the city with 20 units?

@thebloodly said:
how the **** you went into the city with 20 units?

If you go in slowly, you can lure the enemy units outside a few at a time and kill them easily with even a small force.

Welcome to Age of Empires 1 - pop 50 was the max in campaign because higher limits would be too much for most computers back in '97.
Its a 20+ year old game with a fresh coat of paint and some improvments to the UI. Its not comparable to modern RTS games or even Age2 which had a lot of improvements. And pop limit 75 in campaign :wink:
btw. try playing classic mode. That how it REALLY was back then :wink:

I can’t comment on the AI. But on movement/pathing, I have to ask: If we copied and pasted Age2’s entire movement/pathing system into Age1 (which would be a difficult task, but let’s say we could do it), would the result still actually be Age1 or something else?

Ultimately, there must be a line in the sand between Age1 and Age2. I worked at Ensemble, I knew the programmers and designers who wrote or designed Age1/2 quite well. To me, Age1 is defined by units that don’t overlap with each other (unlike Age2, which “cheats” and allows overlapping units), no formations, and player micromanagement of units at times (requiring skill and a deep knowledge of the movement system’s behavior).

I argue that dropping in modern (or even Age2-level) movement/pathing into Age1 would warp the game into something that is not strictly Age1 anymore. It would look like Age1, but feel like something else.

With Age1’s current system, chokepoints are definitely an issue for the movement code. Good players learn this and purposely setup bottlenecks (using walls or buildings, etc.) to get enemy units trapped, or slow them down. Good players learn this and avoid bottlenecks, or carefully move their units through them.

This is all part of Age1’s gameplay, and if we added a bunch of new systems to automatically “fix” this then this aspect of skill-based gameplay would be lost.

@thebloodly said:
how the **** you went into the city with 20 units?

A lot of games can be won with wars of attrition - luring units one by one, healing yours, sneaky catapult shots attacking ground on standing units, using one unit as bait for projectiles - fast unit is good, almost never gets hit if you can micro manage it well.

The original campaign was designed for 50 units, so allowing higher population would make you overpowered. I played with 250 pop in the old version with a mod, and you could simply send hordes of units at the enemy on some missions. A lot of missions are limited by resources or lack of villagers anyway :slight_smile:

It’s not broken or unplayable right now, but it certainly could be improved without losing the original AoE feel.

Exactly. I was constantly pressured to make the movement code better, but at some point, we had to stop and thoroughly test and polish what we had, so we could ship something reasonable.

It absolutely could be better, but what’s in there now was good enough to ship and is better than Age1’s original code. (Because honestly - Age1’s original pathing/movement code was just broken, as pretty much every review from the era points out.)

I agree about the pop cap. Still i have done almost all the missons on medium( struggeling with second hittite misson and the spartacus misson on medium) it get to limted for my taste. Want big armies fighting even if in the end i can only recruit tool age soldiers.

Hopefully there will be mods that will increase the pop cap.

The only challenging mission is the second hittite mission. Well, untill You know where to find your allied cavelry.

Usily You Will do fine with 25 economy/ 25 military.

Developer has a lot of improvements to make to the AI!

@Tom4 said:
The only challenging mission is the second hittite mission. Well, untill You know where to find your allied cavelry.

Usily You Will do fine with 25 economy/ 25 military.

Yeah but i still moved my base to the north east corner. And the cavs are shiitteee aginast the super priests.

25 economy/ 25 military gets repetive for me. Also i have 24 villagers lol =p

Also would be funny if you have a different color then blue in the campagins.

Yeah, you’re toast if You Stay at 12. You need to run with your villa to 2/3 oclock. You Will find two groups of cavs, and a Nice location to build with Wood/gold and stone. Good to block off the east with walls, houses, Buildings. There is another group of cavs a Little bit south from 2 o clock. What makes a total of 3. Its also important to keep those chariots alive since they good against priests.

So at first You run into that town, fight with the infantry , save your vills and run to 2.

I must say this is one of the fun missions for me.

Most missions are boring i agree with this pop since You fighting fortified towns with 20000 towers. So usily You make army tot defend your catapults.

It would be more fun Just to trash this towns with 150 scythes :slight_smile:

While it’s pretty much impossible to push past the 50 unit limit using the tools an end-user has available but better AI can be made than features in RM and campaigns, without needing to cheat for resources like it does on hard & hardest.

@PiedPigeon4873 said:
Well yes sacrificing your workers to make a pop max army is probably what has to be done, it is a classic strategy in rts. I think i did read that the campaign is exactly the same as in AOE original so there is no need to modify anything.

There have been a lot of changes made to the campaigns from the original, from map layouts to starting units, to enemy buildings, and even the names of the scenarios. That second Hittite scenario is totally different from the fourth mission in the original Age of Empires demo, which it seems to replace. It is hard work. I based at 9 o’clock and towered and walled to the east. Those pharaoh units the AIs were blessed with were totally crazy - but eventually (and with saving and loading), things got better. It is rather true to form for the time, where the missions were pretty much designed as wars of attrition. Sometimes the only way you won was by the enemy running out of resources completely.

For mine the best ones were the fixed force puzzle style missions and those where you could just mass forces and go have fun, like Ave Caesar. Others could last an incredibly long time, and especially in RoR, some were just completely unlikely, especially on higher difficulties.