AI is still too passive on some campaign missions (hard difficulty)

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 100.12.3552.0
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

I was playing through the last mission of the third act (Last stand of the Boneguard) and noticed that the AI didnt even try attacking me once! Instead it will choose to gather all of its troops on an arbitrary place and let them sitting there for the rest of the game.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

This always happens when trying to play the mission

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

1. Play the mission
  2. Get bored beacuse the AI will refuse to send some troops to attack (excluding the first wave).

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

Somewhat challenging mission where I get to massacre hordes of enemy troops.

:arrow_forward: ACTUAL RESULT

Lame and boring mission where I only have to destroy some buildings

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

Here you can see how the AI is refusing to give me a decent challenge

I’ve finished all of the campaign content, but I’ll replay some missions later to spot other underwhelming missions. Feel free to post your own findings in here

6 Likes

Was this prior to or post yesterday’s update?

Post Yesterday’s update

1 Like

GAME INFORMATION

Mission: ACT I - Temples of the aztec

ISSUE EXPERIENCED

In this particular mission you’re supposed to defend aztec temples from series of Spanish attacks, but the AI still refused to make a move, instead it massed a big army and let it sit on its base until I swoop them with the Tenochtitlan army.

Screenshots

you should put this in the “aoe3-ai” category of “Report a Bug”. So the devs can see it more clearly.

1 Like

GAME INFORMATION

Mission: ACT I - The Fountain of Youth?

ISSUE EXPERIENCED

In this mission you’re supposed to destroy the fountain of youth while you try to fend off the attacks from the circle of ossus, however. Alain seems to be reluctant about sending troops on their way.
In fact, once you gain control of the lake it’s basically over beacuse you don’t get pressured via land attacks.

It’s also funny when Sahin shouts “WE’RE BEING ATTACKED BY LAND AND SEA”, beacuse you’ll only get attacked by sea, red troops are too busy having a party below their TC (be careful if you decide to attack them though, they will send a horde of boneguards and dopplesoldners at you). Also Alain comes in way too late in order to protect the fountain, he should appear sooner.

Screenshots

Image of one of the places where the AI likes to idle their troops

GAME INFORMATION

Mission: ACT II - Strange Alliances

The first part of the mission is alright (not that the AI played a big role there), but when the second phase starts (Warwick takes your starting area), he won’t attack, he’ll play the “defensive game” and lose, beacuse the player won’t be harassed (sometimes he’ll attack you at the start with 5 longbowmen and some musks, but that’s it for the rest of the mission).
Another strange behaviour that I detected is that the enemy AI will start sending (and losing) settlers to the mine that’s located near where you get the Town Center wagon, no matter how risky it is, they will keep sending them.

ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Screenshots

Here we can see the AI sending settlers to this specific gold mine

this is where the AI decided to lay its troops down.

I think those are trigger bugged out.

I’m not replaying the campaign until the AI issues have been fully addressed. Kudos to the devs for the improvements made in the most recent patch, but there’s a lot more to be done, especially in regards to their aggression and gathering.

Here’s a link to an in-depth topic of issues with current AI.

1 Like

Same problem here.

Very disaopointed.

Campaign AI is really broken sometimes it feels kind of ok then some mission it does almost nothing even your allied AI who you are suppose to protect is capable defeating your main enemy for example last stand of circle your ally was pretty much able to destroy circle base without your need because circle army stood in one place near one of his dock and even when my culverines opened fire they just took those shots in and did nothing. Only thing that was able to keep anything at bay was their fixed guns.

AI in campaigns needs some serious attention.

Thank you for all of this information! I’ve compiled all of the examples provided here and passed them along to the team for review!

I can also confirm the very disappointing AI on hard level in the campaign storyline. The AI’s villagers are just standing around the town centre not gathering or building or attacking. No challenge or fun at all :(.

1 Like

Hi,
Is there any update to this issue? There are lots of campaign missions aside from the listed ones where the AI tend to send its units to a certain point on map and do nothing. Something generic is broken for sure.

Most levels of the campaign are ridiculously easy because of the AI. I just played a mission where my only objective was to destroy the enemy base, which consisted entirely of a Town Centre and a few buildings because all the enemy did with their villagers was send them to gather resources near my town so they were continually slaughtered.

The whole game seems too easy. I don’t consider myself to be a good player, but I can easily win on Hard. Hard is not Hard. Standard wouldn’t even be a challenge to children, so how can that be the standard? (Also, Hardest isn’t even the hardest difficulty. The difficulty names really need standardising across the AoE games so players can more accurately estimate what kind of challenge they’re going to get.)